Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2868 posts
2435 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Will Esso discontinue speedpass tag???

I use Esso speedpass for years, recently try the speedpass+ app because of the promo and still think speedpass is easier/faster.

Now, I found 2 Esso station recently changed to new pump no longer have speedpass tag reader.

Does it mean they will retire the speedpass tag slowly?
If so, Petro Can is easier as I can just tap my RBC visa for payment , collect Petro points, and get 3c off in one action.
Last edited by cheapshopper on Oct 29th, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
2 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2868 posts
2435 upvotes
Richmond Hill
thelefteyeguy wrote: the app is pretty good
I agree the app is pretty good. But still the speedpass tag is much faster.
Either Esso Pass, or Tap credit card at Petro Can, it is 1 action, that take care of payment and points.

App, you have to unlock the phone (PIN/Finger Point / Face, etc), open the app, select pump #, wait. etc.
Another issue is, if the car right in front of you using the app to pay and just left, and you pull in, the app have delay, it will show the pump is not available, and you have to wait for like 2min.

Plus, there is an issue of what if I am offline, like my daughter use up all data in her plan by end of month and have no data for e.g. 2 days. She is ok for on wi-fi only for 2 days, and still can call/txt, but no data. In this case the app won't work.

If they discontinue it, i feel it is making it worse.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD