Shopping Discussion

Will grocery stores resume normal operating hours in the next months?

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2020 9:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1607 posts
2698 upvotes
Toronto

Will grocery stores resume normal operating hours in the next months?

Here in toronto, the grocery stores (sobeys, no frills, metro) are closed at 8 pm or 7 pm, and shopper's drug mart is no longer open until 12 am, closing at 8 pm now. do you think or have you heard anything about grocery stores operating at normal hours when cities start reopening?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1785 posts
2575 upvotes
I believe until there's been 3 weeks of no new cases hours will stay the same b/c the in-store "distancing" will still be in effect
Member
Jul 11, 2017
489 posts
432 upvotes
Well our store is already back to 10pm closing (Normally 11pm). But not open for everyone till 8am (7am opening for Seniors hour everyday)
Member
Mar 22, 2020
382 posts
247 upvotes
I think when they can staff it they will. I am seeing a lot of help wanted ads for grocery stores so I think they need more staff to extend hours. I have seen some grocery stores start extending their hours.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
633 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
The FreshCo across the street is already back to 10pm closing times.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9483 posts
4693 upvotes
Markham
oicthat2013 wrote: Here in toronto, the grocery stores (sobeys, no frills, metro) are closed at 8 pm or 7 pm, and shopper's drug mart is no longer open until 12 am, closing at 8 pm now. do you think or have you heard anything about grocery stores operating at normal hours when cities start reopening?
Is it because you are essential worker so current time is inconvenient for you?

Because for most of ie, since we stay at home, so it's fine for us
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5797 posts
1115 upvotes
Toronto
Canoes4Fun wrote: I think when they can staff it they will. I am seeing a lot of help wanted ads for grocery stores so I think they need more staff to extend hours. I have seen some grocery stores start extending their hours.
Or when the at-risk, family at-risk, or "too scared to work" staff come back to work. Most probably won't return until non-essential workers return to work.

I agree what was posted earlier that distancing measures will still be in place.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1031 posts
588 upvotes
London, On
My local No Frills just extended from 8pm to 9pm this week. They used to be 10pm pre Covid, so not sure when or if they are going back to that.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 30, 2006
5131 posts
512 upvotes
The Walmart near me seems to have extended opening to 9pm now (for a while they shortened hours to 8pm), was open til 11pm pre-Covid19. Rexall close to me had shortened hours to I think 6 or 7:30pm but has now gone back to 9pm I think.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1037 posts
271 upvotes
Ottawa
djeffery wrote: My local No Frills just extended from 8pm to 9pm this week. They used to be 10pm pre Covid, so not sure when or if they are going back to that.
I now see a 9pm closing for my local No Frills as well (Orleans). Really glad to see this because line ups to pay were particularly long/slow here.

Top