• Jan 20th, 2020 11:00 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2016
1294 posts
684 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Will i lose my parking space?

I own my apartment and have a really good parking space close to the door. I am thinking of selling my car and using ride sharing. Will i lose my parking space if there is no longer a car in it? Just thinking when i sell it it would be good to have.
9 replies
Dec 4, 2017
706 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
If your purchased the parking spot, it should be listed on your property deed and you pay property taxes on it. In some condo corps if you have an accessibility extra wide spot, if a physically challenged person may exchange you for a regular spot.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2016
1294 posts
684 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I never purchased it, it came with the condo when i bought it though. I thought there was some distinction with common property? I know with my storage locker i definitely own it as its registered with the city. I'm not sure about the parking space though.

I found this article so it looks like i'll have to do some further digging to find out whst type it is

https://www.bbo.on.ca/blog/do-i-own-my- ... ing-space/
Mar 3, 2003
102 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I have this problem. I rent my surrey condo unit which ive owned for over 20 years, and my tenant (of 4 years) does not have a car... 2 years ago I got a letter from the board saying they were assigning my parking place to an owner who needed it... They maintained that it was their job to assign parking spots and they were a little short. I have not checked title but know there was no explicit parking on the deed but we have a very expensive parking garage (needing work)... Over the years they have made lists of who has what parking space. Originally my 2 bed plus den had 2 parking assigned, and apts 2 below had one.. over the years they have used a couple for recycling, garbage collection etc and they say there is a shortage. I image some owners are renting theirs, but I did not do this... I guess the sight of a nice empty parking space controlled by a non resident owner was too tempting for others. Other than losing rent for a parking spot (s), my only concern is what if I want to sell the unit.. The board does not want to deal with what if questions... I believe they would say, when the new owner needs a space, contact them .. I am not sure what I can do if anything... My property manager keeps good relations with the board... I should have at least 1 spot you would think... I hope they are marking good citizen notes in my file until I ask for the spaces back. (that's my attempt at a joke). However I am worried after a few years it will be very hard to get any space back since whoever has the spots will fight harder than I did to keep them.
I am trying to be aware of who is on the board etc.. Have others in BC had any problems like this??
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2016
1294 posts
684 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Did you read the article i posted? It seems there are different levels of parking ownership levels. You need to get hold of some sort of condo documents so you can check on the type.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
You need to check your condo rules. Two of the condos we own include a parking spot. I believe one of them has a deeded specific parking spot (although ironically, because my father-in-law (who lives in the apartment) has mobility issues, he has been assigned a closer spot by the door and someone else is using "our" parking spot). For the second, I believe on the title it's "a parking spot", not a specific parking spot and I believe the condo board is allowed to re-assign them.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4253 posts
1078 upvotes
so you never paid for the parking spot, but you want it to be included as something you own when you sell it?

LOL.
Dec 4, 2017
706 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
gdvan wrote: I have this problem. I rent my surrey condo unit which ive owned for over 20 years, and my tenant (of 4 years) does not have a car... 2 years ago I got a letter from the board saying they were assigning my parking place to an owner who needed it... They maintained that it was their job to assign parking spots and they were a little short. I have not checked title but know there was no explicit parking on the deed but we have a very expensive parking garage (needing work)... Over the years they have made lists of who has what parking space. Originally my 2 bed plus den had 2 parking assigned, and apts 2 below had one.. over the years they have used a couple for recycling, garbage collection etc and they say there is a shortage. I image some owners are renting theirs, but I did not do this... I guess the sight of a nice empty parking space controlled by a non resident owner was too tempting for others. Other than losing rent for a parking spot (s), my only concern is what if I want to sell the unit.. The board does not want to deal with what if questions... I believe they would say, when the new owner needs a space, contact them .. I am not sure what I can do if anything... My property manager keeps good relations with the board... I should have at least 1 spot you would think... I hope they are marking good citizen notes in my file until I ask for the spaces back. (that's my attempt at a joke). However I am worried after a few years it will be very hard to get any space back since whoever has the spots will fight harder than I did to keep them.
I am trying to be aware of who is on the board etc.. Have others in BC had any problems like this??
I guess if you couldn't or didn't want to rent your parking spot out. One way to get around it is to park a beater car in the parking spot so that you can show the parking spot is occupied.

I just received the City of Toronto property tax bill it clearly states my condo unit, parking spot number and locker number. I would not want to pay property taxes or condo maintenance fees to a common element that I don't use.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)