Automotive

will installing a backup camera and nav system void warranty?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2015 6:07 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2078 posts
470 upvotes
St. Johns

will installing a backup camera and nav system void warranty?

Looking at upgrading my audio system in the car and in the process installing a backup camera and nav system. Will this void my warranty?
13 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11788 posts
5710 upvotes
On some stuff, yes. Your warranty as a whole, no.

Basically, they would have to prove that whatever failed, failed due to the modification. So your transmission failure will be covered under warranty, for example.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2243 posts
746 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Gutty96 wrote: On some stuff, yes. Your warranty as a whole, no.

Basically, they would have to prove that whatever failed, failed due to the modification. So your transmission failure will be covered under warranty, for example.
This, except the proof. Usually you have to prove and argue with them.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11788 posts
5710 upvotes
trixstar wrote: mention that and get laughed at in Canada
Never happened to me getting warranty work done on any modified vehicles I had. Not once did I have an issue.

Maybe it is just you?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2243 posts
746 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Gutty96 wrote: Never happened to me getting warranty work done on any modified vehicles I had. Not once did I have an issue.

Maybe it is just you?
One of my customers was denied grinding transmission repairs because she didn't send in her engine oil change stamps on time. Used car warranty is different from manufacturer warranty, still, those *****ers try to get out of it any way they can.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11788 posts
5710 upvotes
valeradunets wrote: One of my customers was denied grinding transmission repairs because she didn't send in her engine oil change stamps on time. Used car warranty is different from manufacturer warranty, still, those *****ers try to get out of it any way they can.
Not quite the same as denying it for changing the radio.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
15876 posts
10571 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: No need to argue, just mention this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E ... rranty_Act
trixstar wrote: mention that and get laughed at in Canada
Gutty96 wrote: Never happened to me getting warranty work done on any modified vehicles I had. Not once did I have an issue.

Maybe it is just you?

Pretty sure he's referring to the fact that the Magnusson Act is a US law, not Canadian
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11788 posts
5710 upvotes
Swerny wrote: Pretty sure he's referring to the fact that the Magnusson Act is a US law, not Canadian
Sure it is, same concept applies in Canada. They can't not warranty your tranny because you changed your radio. They have to prove the mod caused the failure.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
15876 posts
10571 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: Sure it is, same concept applies in Canada. They can't not warranty your tranny because you changed your radio. They have to prove the mod caused the failure.
I'm not disagreeing with you. The whole warranty won't be voided, just the specific warranty to what you changed.

Just saying quoting a US law may not help you with a Canadian dealership.

I know from experience that going to a Canadian dealership with US TSB's for example doesn't work.
Sep 13, 2010
584 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
Gutty96 wrote: Sure it is, same concept applies in Canada. They can't not warranty your tranny because you changed your radio. They have to prove the mod caused the failure.
Then why not post up the Canadian law instead of the US law to mention?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2243 posts
746 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Gutty96 wrote: Not quite the same as denying it for changing the radio.
Absolutely, something like a burned central electronics module (Just an example) can totally be blamed on an aftermarket radio... I'm not disagreeing with what you have said, I'm just pointing out that dealers and used car warranty companies try their best to avoid paying for the repairs if they can. Did you know a tech gets paid more on a non warranty repair vs warranty?