Automotive

Will Krown Rustproofing Void a Dealership Warranty?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2020 8:54 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
164 upvotes
GTA

Will Krown Rustproofing Void a Dealership Warranty?

We have recently run into some scare tactics from a dealership regarding rust proofing. I know Krown is a CAA approved dealer and they wouldn't be if they were bad so I had to check this out, this is what it said on the Krown website about dealership claims of voiding the car warranty if you use their products.

Krown will NOT void any manufacturer’s warranty. However, many car salesmen do tell people this untruth. If someone makes this claim, ask them to put it in writing and then contact the manufacturer directly.

Quite simply, buying rustproofing from the dealership is quite expensive, gouging would be a good term if one were to buy their sym-tech electric system and then selling it as a package with interior for $1000. As verified here on Pat Foran's weekly consumer report: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/CanadaAMColum ... og-110127/

My question is this, have any redflagers that have tried Krown rust proofing ever had their warranties with the car dealership voided due to damage that may have been caused by their product?

We received conflicting information from the dealership that they did not recommend using oil based spray as it may cause harm to your mechanical parts of the car and thus your warranty will be deemed voided, so I called the same companies service dept to check this out and was told by 2 different advisors " Krown is absolutely safe" "will not harm your warranty" one person even said " I prefer Krown spraying as opposed to sym-tech's electrical charge system".

Anyone have their warranties voided using Krown? Uncovering the truth of dealership scams?
71 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4398 posts
471 upvotes
post the name so we can all avoid their bs (guessing this is a markham dealer?).
Nov 6, 2009
616 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
never heard of warranties will be voided using Krown, hi op may i ask which is your dealership?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
164 upvotes
GTA
Just a clearification, the warranty has not been voided but the threat was implied if Krown or another rust proofing company inadvertantly sprayed the sensors or other parts of the car that caused a defect to occur. To me this is a suspicious ploy for the car dealer to not want car owners to use any rust proofing methods other than from the dealer and at the dealer sets in house, which from my experience is grossly marked up prices from the standard $115 rate Krown charges for cars.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
164 upvotes
GTA
nsx817 wrote: never heard of warranties will be voided using Krown, hi op may i ask which is your dealership?
zzz3 wrote: post the name so we can all avoid their bs (guessing this is a markham dealer?).
In due time, I will mention the specific location but can't right now.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
wolverine07 wrote: Just a clearification, the warranty has not been voided but the threat was implied if Krown or another rust proofing company inadvertantly sprayed the sensors or other parts of the car that caused a defect to occur. To me this is a suspicious ploy for the car dealer to not want car owners to use any rust proofing methods other than from the dealer and at the dealer sets in house, which from my experience is grossly marked up prices from the standard $115 rate Krown charges for cars.

I would like to see their explanation on how the sensor failed from any rust proofing product?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
164 upvotes
GTA
packardbell wrote: I would like to see their explanation on how the sensor failed from any rust proofing product?

It's crazy eh? Sometimes you have to just use your common sense. The mark up was $1000 for the electronic rust protection, paint protection, upholstry. Whereas a Krown treatment is $115. It is probably unlawful for a dealer to refuse a warranty for making a false claim of defects via rust application. I hope these threads help people who are pressured into scams like this. In my opinion we need more services like Car Cost and CAA. Cheers!
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11902 posts
3560 upvotes
Ontario
Call up the car manufacture and ask even get them to send you a written statement saying it does not void anything just in case. But I have heard stories like this where the deal just talks BS to get you to buy their rip off rust protection.
Oct 7, 2007
614 posts
159 upvotes
Markham
Check with your manufacturer but I know that Krown will void Hyundai's rust warranty if holes are drilled.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
164 upvotes
GTA
mrmccowcow wrote: Check with your manufacturer but I know that Krown will void Hyundai's rust warranty if holes are drilled.

This is very important, are you 100% certain on this, we got a vague answer from the manufacturer. One of the Manager's, they said they use water base rust proofing, not oil based. I was quoted $599, the electric rust proofing is very overpriced and reports are they don't work as well. The worst case scenario is to have them claim an outside rust proofer void the Hyundai 5 year warranty, is it all worth it? They kind of have you over a barrel here. Don't want to drive with the spectre of worry for 5 years, especially since the car is registered to my GF.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
wolverine07 wrote: This is very important, are you 100% certain on this, we got a vague answer from the manufacturer. One of the Manager's, they said they use water base rust proofing, not oil based. I was quoted $599, the electric rust proofing is very overpriced and reports are they don't work as well. The worst case scenario is to have them claim an outside rust proofer void the Hyundai 5 year warranty, is it all worth it? They kind of have you over a barrel here. Don't want to drive with the spectre of worry for 5 years, especially since the car is registered to my GF.

Let me ask you this wolverine, what does the manufacturers rust warranty cover? surface or perforation? if you have surface rust and you do not repair it, will this void the rust warranty as well? for you to have a perforation in the sheet metal will not occur unless the surface get physically altered, leading to surface rust, and if you leave it knowingly or unknowingly and not repair the surface will that void your warranty? I never seen a car rust with a perforation within 5 years so unless it covers surface rust it is just a bogus warranty that you will never get to claim.
just my 2 cents.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
164 upvotes
GTA
packardbell wrote: Let me ask you this wolverine, what does the manufacturers rust warranty cover? surface or perforation? if you have surface rust and you do not repair it, will this void the rust warranty as well? for you to have a perforation in the sheet metal will not occur unless the surface get physically altered, leading to surface rust, and if you leave it knowingly or unknowingly and not repair the surface will that void your warranty? I never seen a car rust with a perforation within 5 years so unless it covers surface rust it is just a bogus warranty that you will never get to claim.
just my 2 cents.

Interesting, I just had a long chat with a Krown representative and he basically said, he has never had a manufacturer refuse a warranty that a car was rust proofed by Krown, he also said there was a document at user.fast.net that says dealerships have to proove that aftermarket parts applied to the car voided the warranty, from him it sounded like a long process that the dealership would have to partake in and unlikely to do so. He also said there was no way the Krown oil based product can harm the electrical and or mechanical parts of a car, specifically pointed to the drilling procedure. He cited an example of soaking a computer in the Krown product and it did not harm the computer. Bottom line is The dealership would have to prove 100% that the Krown product or any aftermarket part did damage to the car, seems remote. Of note he said Krown would go to bat for the client if a dealership declines a warranty.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
164 upvotes
GTA
I forgot to mention, even if you bring your car to an outside mechanic and they use aftermarket parts on your car, a dealership cannot void your warranty. A dealership cannot stop a consumer from using aftermarket parts it is in writing somewhere on a site he mentioned, it is still incumbant of the dealership to prove an aftermarket part caused damage to the car.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
wolverine07 wrote: Interesting, I just had a long chat with a Krown representative and he basically said, he has never had a manufacturer refuse a warranty that a car was rust proofed by Krown, he also said there was a document at user.fast.net that says dealerships have to proove that aftermarket parts applied to the car voided the warranty, from him it sounded like a long process that the dealership would have to partake in and unlikely to do so. He also said there was no way the Krown oil based product can harm the electrical and or mechanical parts of a car, specifically pointed to the drilling procedure. He cited an example of soaking a computer in the Krown product and it did not harm the computer. Bottom line is The dealership would have to prove 100% that the Krown product or any aftermarket part did damage to the car, seems remote. Of note he said Krown would go to bat for the client if a dealership declines a warranty.
packardbell wrote: I would like to see their explanation on how the sensor failed from any rust proofing product?
like i said in my previous post they need to explain how the failure was caused by rust proofing. this is common sense.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
164 upvotes
GTA
packardbell wrote: like i said in my previous post they need to explain how the failure was caused by rust proofing. this is common sense.

It's a dealer cash grab bag no doubt about it, how does drilling harm the electrical and or mechanical parts of a car, it is hard to fathom a reputable rust proofer doing this barring drastic human error.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11360 posts
2381 upvotes
Durham Region
mrmccowcow wrote: Check with your manufacturer but I know that Krown will void Hyundai's rust warranty if holes are drilled.

When I was looking at a lancer GTS I had my price of the car and was told 100% that getting rust proofing anywhere else will definitely void the warranty because of drilled holes.

This was Pickering mitsubishi.

They also overcharged by about $10
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11360 posts
2381 upvotes
Durham Region

When I was looking at a lancer GTS I had my price of the car and was told 100% that getting rust proofing anywhere else will definitely void the warranty because of drilled holes.

They also overcharged by about $1000 according to the prices on the Mitsubishi site.

Glad I didn't deal with them after that
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
164 upvotes
GTA
XtremeModder wrote: When I was looking at a lancer GTS I had my price of the car and was told 100% that getting rust proofing anywhere else will definitely void the warranty because of drilled holes.

They also overcharged by about $1000 according to the prices on the Mitsubishi site.

Glad I didn't deal with them after that

I hate to be blunt but with all the information I have gathered on this the past 24 hours, the only way a dealership can void a warranty is to prove the drilled holes damaged a mechanical part, for instance if it's a faulty sensor, they would have to make a correalation between the 2, which we know is close to impossible. My opinion is the dealership is throwing mud on the wall in hopes of it sticking. Again, any car owner can use their own mechanic and or aftermarket parts and if it doesn't damage the car, the warranty is not voided. The dealer uses terms like Mitsubishi or Ford or Hyundai do not recommend the usage of aftermarket parts, the wording is carefully selected for obvious reasons, they want you to spend money on their services exclusively.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
off topic questions, How much is the warranty really worth to you?

how many people would prefer buying a car cheaper by 15% if there was no warranty opposed to the same with warranty?
I personally would choose the new cheaper car -15% without warranty since for the first few years nothing breaks.

what is your thoughts?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
164 upvotes
GTA
packardbell wrote: off topic questions, How much is the warranty really worth to you?

how many people would prefer buying a car cheaper by 15% if there was no warranty opposed to the same with warranty?
I personally would choose the new cheaper car -15% without warranty since for the first few years nothing breaks.

what is your thoughts?

One of the reasons we chose Hyundai is their 5 year warranty, when you are financing a car, it is peace of mind that you will not have any major car cost repairs added onto the monthly payments. A good warranty is near priceless IMO.