Home & Garden

Will a money tree/plant survive outdoors in our Toronto winters?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2019 12:15 pm
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
568 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto

Will a money tree/plant survive outdoors in our Toronto winters?

We have a potted (in a can to be specific) money plant/tree indoors right now but my wife and I are having a debate as to whether planting it on our flower bed is a good idea... Quick research indicated that they thrive in zones 10 and 11. But have survived temps as low as 28F...

Wifey thinks it's worth a try but I'm not so sure as Toronto weather is zone 6... She says it's her call, am trying to see whether this plant survives or not come winter??? (i know i know happy wife happy life so am just trying to see if I can give her an "i told you so moment" next year lol)

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2989 posts
1239 upvotes
Let her put it outside over the winter, and find it dead sometime. Money trees are near tropicals.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
568 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
I figured as much... thanks! Ill let her be lol... (hope your reply persuades her otherwise) :) Thanks Fieldhouse... PS guess who will have to remove this dead money tree/jade plant next spring... (maybe Ill let her do it :P)
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16947 posts
1789 upvotes
Thornhill
We already know that you’ll be the one moving it into the garden and removing it next spring when it’s dead :)

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8274 posts
2898 upvotes
Maple
Indoor - yes
Outdoor - no (definitely)
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4685 posts
896 upvotes
rural ontario
Money tree??? Where do I find one of those?? I'm hoping it has leaves of.... money!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4948 upvotes
Here 'n There
rilles wrote: Money tree??? Where do I find one of those?? I'm hoping it has leaves of.... money!
That sounds kind of loonie to me!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5706 posts
3500 upvotes
There is exactly zero percent chance of this plant surviving the winter outdoors.