Computers & Electronics

Will moving Plex hard drive erase progress?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2020 11:29 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
21393 posts
2909 upvotes
Out west

Will moving Plex hard drive erase progress?

So I have had a Plex server setup for about 5 years now with an old PC, and it works fine. But in the spring I bought a Nvidia Shield Pro and I know you can setup a Plex Server on it.

My setup is pretty simple, I just use external hard drives plugged into USB, so nothing fancy. Moving it to the Shield would be easy, just move the drive, and I assume the response time, etc would be a lot faster as the PC its running on now is probably 10 years old, if not more

But if I do that, will I lose all my progress off the old server. As in shows and movies watched. etc.

Its not a huge thing, but if it can be prevented Id prefer to try that
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2344 posts
1359 upvotes
Calgary
This guide may give some pointers (its a bit different since you’re switching to the Shield which I believe would work similar to Linux, but it should be able to be done.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201370 ... er-system/

Basically, once you set up the server, you should be able to put the config files in a specific location and maybe re-specify your folders (as the Shield wouldn’t be using drive letters).

Edit - right in the guide it says moving to different operating systems may not preserve all your settings. Oops!

As for response times, that also depends if your external drive is USB 2.0 or 3.0. If the latter, then yes it should be faster since your desktop would likely only have USB 2.0.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10714 posts
3117 upvotes
Winnipeg
SHIELD TV is compatible with the FAT32, exFAT, NTFS, and HFS+ file systems

no experience my self if it supports ext4 if your server is currently under linux.

If it all works fine,meaning it sees the drives, it will just rebuild/update library to the new server. I use jellyfin and check off leave meta data scrapes in folders of library so it just rescans and its up in minutes on any new server. So it really depends on how and where you saved scrapes/meta data.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
21393 posts
2909 upvotes
Out west
lead wrote: SHIELD TV is compatible with the FAT32, exFAT, NTFS, and HFS+ file systems

no experience my self if it supports ext4 if your server is currently under linux.

If it all works fine,meaning it sees the drives, it will just rebuild/update library to the new server. I use jellyfin and check off leave meta data scrapes in folders of library so it just rescans and its up in minutes on any new server. So it really depends on how and where you saved scrapes/meta data.
Thanks. Currently just running on a Windows 7 box. I guess if I lose watched progress its not that big of a deal. Just think running it direct on the Shield would be faster, and as well, not have a 10 year old desktop constantly on.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10714 posts
3117 upvotes
Winnipeg
WikkiWikki wrote: Thanks. Currently just running on a Windows 7 box. I guess if I lose watched progress its not that big of a deal. Just think running it direct on the Shield would be faster, and as well, not have a 10 year old desktop constantly on.
I use this for my jellyfin server and other stuff like an rpi.
Image
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
21393 posts
2909 upvotes
Out west
lead wrote: I use this for my jellyfin server and other stuff like an rpi.
Image
Shield Pro is all I have, I dont have high end Nas servers, etc. I dotn even rip my stuff to full quality either
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27904 posts
4203 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah I thought about that too. In the end I ended by building a low end amd rig with leftover parts running ubuntu server. Plex runs fine off of that. It's 65w tdp cpu so I don't worry too much about. No monitor, 8 gigs of RAM and 3 drives
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10714 posts
3117 upvotes
Winnipeg
WikkiWikki wrote: Shield Pro is all I have, I dont have high end Nas servers, etc. I dotn even rip my stuff to full quality either
that box is just 55 bucks shipped. Its about the lowest power consuming in 4k playback bitsream audio class with 4gb of ram gigabit and usb 3.0 to share the multi bay usb 3.0 drives. You can run pretty much anything you want in docker just like an rpi 4 only a little cheaper since it has everything psu case etc. You basically flash coreelec kodi to it and run what you want from docker like pihole,nextcloud or wireguard or whatever.

Its the same as the odroid c4 an s905x3.But for the money rpi4 would be a better choice than a c4 but neither can match 55 all in.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
21393 posts
2909 upvotes
Out west
lead wrote: that box is just 55 bucks shipped. Its about the lowest power consuming in 4k playback bitsream audio class with 4gb of ram gigabit and usb 3.0 to share the multi bay usb 3.0 drives. You can run pretty much anything you want in docker just like an rpi 4 only a little cheaper since it has everything psu case etc. You basically flash coreelec kodi to it and run what you want from docker like pihole,nextcloud or wireguard or whatever.

Its the same as the odroid c4 an s905x3.But for the money rpi4 would be a better choice than a c4 but neither can match 55 all in.
Sounds great, but the Shield is what I bought for more than just a Plez server. Its the icing on the cake for what I use it for.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10714 posts
3117 upvotes
Winnipeg
WikkiWikki wrote: Sounds great, but the Shield is what I bought for more than just a Plez server. Its the icing on the cake for what I use it for.
its good for The A.I. but we all need pihole and wireguard vpn network wide and its not a bad idea to move to home cloud vs internet based cloud, home assitant etc and thats not happening on the shield and no one should be transcoding 4k so that option doesn't matter for media servers like plex.

The old rpi 4 or that box I posted....does it all.Except for subscription based streaming. The rpi4 maxes at all 1080p netflix, while the s905x3 just does 1080p24hz netflix(mostly just 720p subscription). But thats what firesticks are for too and there dam cheap.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
21393 posts
2909 upvotes
Out west
lead wrote: its good for The A.I. but we all need pihole and wireguard vpn network wide and its not a bad idea to move to home cloud vs internet based cloud, home assitant etc and thats not happening on the shield and no one should be transcoding 4k so that option doesn't matter for media servers like plex.

The old rpi 4 or that box I posted....does it all.Except for subscription based streaming. The rpi4 maxes at all 1080p netflix, while the s905x3 just does 1080p24hz netflix(mostly just 720p subscription). But thats what firesticks are for too and there dam cheap.
You just took something simple thats been working fine for years, and now made it convoluted and confusing

We all need pihole? Never heard of it. What do I have on the internet based cloud? All of my data is local
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10714 posts
3117 upvotes
Winnipeg
WikkiWikki wrote: You just took something simple thats been working fine for years, and now made it convoluted and confusing

We all need pihole? Never heard of it. What do I have on the internet based cloud? All of my data is local
Pihole is for network wide adblocking. You can even route your phone thru it on mobile data by running your own vpn. Nextcloud just becomes cloud for all your devices vs say google,apple or dropbox cloud etc
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
21393 posts
2909 upvotes
Out west
lead wrote: Pihole is for network wide adblocking. You can even route your phone thru it on mobile data by running your own vpn. Nextcloud just becomes cloud for all your devices vs say google,apple or dropbox cloud etc
And like I said, you are making this more confusing then it needs be. I have no need for anything you have just said
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10714 posts
3117 upvotes
Winnipeg
WikkiWikki wrote: And like I said, you are making this more confusing then it needs be. I have no need for anything you have just said
Everyone needs it now. It's one of the reasons over 50 million rpi's have been sold. With cloud based Iot didappearing or riddled with security leaks. Thank God for home assistant in docker to not let smart Iot investment go down the toilet.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
21393 posts
2909 upvotes
Out west
lead wrote: Everyone needs it now. It's one of the reasons over 50 million rpi's have been sold. With cloud based Iot didappearing or riddled with security leaks. Thank God for home assistant in docker to not let smart Iot investment go down the toilet.
Really, well Im part of everyone, and I dont use it, need it, or even heard of it before now. I have nothing cloud based file wise, except emails.

But thanks for the info, but it doesnt help me at all
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10714 posts
3117 upvotes
Winnipeg
WikkiWikki wrote: Really, well Im part of everyone, and I dont use it, need it, or even heard of it before now. I have nothing cloud based file wise, except emails.

But thanks for the info, but it doesnt help me at all
Welcome to anti data collecting generation.

Top