Personal Finance

Will my old cell phone bills disappear after 7 years?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2018 9:15 pm
[OP]
Aug 5, 2018
1 posts

Will my old cell phone bills disappear after 7 years?

Okay so I've got 2 different cell phone companies that have sent my accounts to different collection agencies one being Bell Mobility and the other being Koodo the first account was about 5 years ago and the second maybe 3 years ago I'm just wondering if I wait 7 years from when the accounts were sent to collections if they will be removed from my credit score?

I can pay them but from what I understand it won't really do anything beneficial for me and will only restart the 7 year period before they are removed from my credit report. Also I believe I was still on a contract with both companies so if I do decide to pay off the debt to collections will the cell phone companies continue to bill me for my old contracts?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6137 posts
2915 upvotes
Gee, I wonder if there's a way to go about avoiding this whole mess and what appears to be a recurring issue. What is it? What could it be? Hmm. Maybe somebody else will be able to think of it. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3472 posts
524 upvotes
Valleywood
Is this why the government was encouraging 4 or more major cellular carriers to invest in Canada, just in case you default on one or two?
Dec 21, 2007
692 posts
187 upvotes
Scarborough
Conquistador wrote: Gee, I wonder if there's a way to go about avoiding this whole mess and what appears to be a recurring issue. What is it? What could it be? Hmm. Maybe somebody else will be able to think of it. :facepalm:
Ravens/carrier pigeons?
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Nov 28, 2017
473 posts
385 upvotes
SeanF28365 wrote: Okay so I've got 2 different cell phone companies that have sent my accounts to different collection agencies one being Bell Mobility and the other being Koodo the first account was about 5 years ago and the second maybe 3 years ago I'm just wondering if I wait 7 years from when the accounts were sent to collections if they will be removed from my credit score?

I can pay them but from what I understand it won't really do anything beneficial for me and will only restart the 7 year period before they are removed from my credit report. Also I believe I was still on a contract with both companies so if I do decide to pay off the debt to collections will the cell phone companies continue to bill me for my old contracts?
So what you are asking is, can you get people to think you are more worthy of loaning to by continuing to renege on your debts?
Feb 1, 2018
958 posts
1085 upvotes
Montréal
Oh this thread is going to be comedy gold, I can tell. *Makes popcorn, puts feet up.*