• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2018 1:29 pm
[OP]
Sep 26, 2015
402 posts
191 upvotes

Will my ram clear the cpu cooler? or wont fit

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GRhBQV

Above is my build, I already have the parts. As per pcpcartpicker its all compatible, but talking to the guys at Memory Express, a few said the ram won't clear the cpu cooler?

Any thoughts on this? Will I have to get one that's not as tall (eg. LPX vengeance)

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17604 posts
4234 upvotes
Toronto
Wow. Almost $1600 just for the CPU and video card. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[OP]
Sep 26, 2015
402 posts
191 upvotes
EugW wrote: Wow. Almost $1600 just for the CPU and video card. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I know...price matched them to $1389 (959 and 430)..but still went over budget Neutral Face
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5941 posts
2535 upvotes
nagooro wrote: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GRhBQV

Above is my build, I already have the parts. As per pcpcartpicker its all compatible, but talking to the guys at Memory Express, a few said the ram won't clear the cpu cooler?

Any thoughts on this? Will I have to get one that's not as tall (eg. LPX vengeance)

Thanks
It will fit, but you have to move the fan higher above the cooler, but because the mobo is installed sideways it'll be the width of the case that saves you. Any R5 will have room

https://noctua.at/en/how-big-is-the-nh- ... et-coolers shows cooler without raising 2nd fan to be 165mm. This gives ram 32mm of clearance. But your ram is 42mm tall, and your R5 max is 180mm for cooler. Meaning your heatsink with this ram will be 165+(42-32)=175mm and case is 180mm max.

http://support.fractal-design.com/suppo ... imitations

You're fine. Is there a reason why you didn't do the research on your own? When I bought mine I sure looked it up in 10 mins.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6798 posts
5677 upvotes
North York
yes, you can offset the 1st fan, but it'll be pretty out of wack. think 1cm off/taller than the heatsink?? Don't know about you but I definitely wouldn't do that.
Pretty sure you will come across low-profile rams for that speed, capacity and price.

Couple things I'd add:
-why would you spend so much on R5, it was $80 just a couple weeks ago, and R6 is already here.
-I'd go with BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 over this Noctua. I am willing to sacrifice 1-2 degree C for the better look, or EVEN Cryorig R1
-I also wouldn't get that 1TB Evo 950, I'd suggest EITHER 1TB Evo 960 NVMe ($550) or 2x WD Black 512gb NVMe running Raid0 (less than $500), and your read/write speeds would just be off the roooof
Last edited by konsensei on Jan 16th, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6230 posts
5071 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You can slide the offending fan up a few mm if needed; or swap for low profile ram.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5941 posts
2535 upvotes
I heard one guy even got noctua to swap the fan with something smaller
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4088 posts
2689 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
If you're moving the CPU fan make sure you're not resting it on the ram. It may cause vibrations.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11684 posts
2238 upvotes
konsensei wrote: yes, you can offset the 1st fan, but it'll be pretty out of wack. think 1cm off/taller than the heatsink?? Don't know about you but I definitely wouldn't do that.
Pretty sure you will come across low-profile rams for that speed, capacity and price.

Couple things I'd add:
-why would you spend so much on R5, it was $80 just a couple weeks ago, and R6 is already here.
-I'd go with BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 over this Noctua. I am willing to sacrifice 1-2 degree C for the better look, or EVEN Cryorig R1
-I also wouldn't get that 1TB Evo 950, I'd suggest EITHER 1TB Evo 960 NVMe ($550) or 2x WD Black 512gb NVMe running Raid0 (less than $500), and your read/write speeds would just be off the roooof
R6 is something special. There's a lot to like about that case with only very small ticky tact complaints. For example, you can get a USB 3.1 type C on the front IO, but you have to buy it separately. I wish they just stuck it in. Definitely the best case out there... but is it even available in Canada yet?

OP already bought his parts, but for those willing to wait for the R6, then wait for the Dark Rock Pro 4. Quieter than Pro 3 with vastly improved mounting. Could be the Noctua killer. http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/be-qui ... ock-4.html
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5941 posts
2535 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: If you're moving the CPU fan make sure you're not resting it on the ram. It may cause vibrations.
I had a similar concern, but more about damaging the ram long term to have 1500rpm worth of vibrations hitting the heatsink. I gave it 1mm clearance for that reason
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6798 posts
5677 upvotes
North York
joeyjoejoe wrote: R6 is something special. There's a lot to like about that case with only very small ticky tact complaints. For example, you can get a USB 3.1 type C on the front IO, but you have to buy it separately. I wish they just stuck it in. Definitely the best case out there... but is it even available in Canada yet?

OP already bought his parts, but for those willing to wait for the R6, then wait for the Dark Rock Pro 4. Quieter than Pro 3 with vastly improved mounting. Could be the Noctua killer. http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/be-qui ... ock-4.html
O didn't see that OP has already bought the parts. I guess case and cooler are pretty much set and okayish. But huge huge difference between the Samsung Evo 950 1tb SSD vs the options I listed.
Op return the SSD and pick the options I listed. LOL
[OP]
Sep 26, 2015
402 posts
191 upvotes
konsensei wrote: O didn't see that OP has already bought the parts. I guess case and cooler are pretty much set and okayish. But huge huge difference between the Samsung Evo 950 1tb SSD vs the options I listed.
Op return the SSD and pick the options I listed. LOL
konsensei wrote:
Couple things I'd add:
The prices on the pcpartpicker link arent exactly what I paid. I wanted the windowed R5, got it for $95 when it was on sale.
Thx will look at those options as well.
I didn't want to spend anymore on a SSD/NVME. Picked up the 1TB ssd for $350, have the same one in my gaming laptop which is sufficient for my needs. PC will be used for mainly gaming and light productivity, wont be transferring files that often.

I have already bought the parts, but all are still brand new in packaging and can be returned if necessary.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I picked up the G.skill for $200, whereas the comparable LPX was at $280. For simplicity, will likely just return the Gskill and get the LPX.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26223 posts
6483 upvotes
EugW wrote: Wow. Almost $1600 just for the CPU and video card. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
The sad part is a $1000 1080 Ti is seeming like a good bargain with what is happening to the prices on mainstream cards now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6798 posts
5677 upvotes
North York
ES_Revenge wrote: The sad part is a $1000 1080 Ti is seeming like a good bargain with what is happening to the prices on mainstream cards now.
These mining hypes are really killing the gaming PC.
Before the first hype in summer 2017, I got gtx 980 for less than $250, gtx 980ti for $300
Before the 2nd hype now, gtx 1080 was around $500-550, gtx 1080ti $800. Look at it now.
Even people are selling gtx 970 for $400 now, wtf.