Automotive

Will a original Honda Navigation work on a 08 Civic?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2018 11:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2495 posts
256 upvotes
Scarborough

Will a original Honda Navigation work on a 08 Civic?

I have a 08 Civic DXG 4 door and wanted to remove the stock deck and add an original Honda nav unit. Is this a plug and play or further wiring is necessary?

Thanks
Rogers $67.50/20+5gb, Unlimited Canada Wide Calling, Unlimited text and MMS
Koodo $40-6GB, 1000 LD Minutes, Unlimited Canada Wide Calling, Unlimited text and MMS worldwide
14 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2871 posts
632 upvotes
LONDON
ninety5teg wrote: I have a 08 Civic DXG 4 door and wanted to remove the stock deck and add an original Honda nav unit. Is this a plug and play or further wiring is necessary?

Thanks
I think civic forums would be a better place to ask such questions, but have considered just installing a Apple Carplay/Android Auto unit?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2495 posts
256 upvotes
Scarborough
MikeMC12 wrote: I think civic forums would be a better place to ask such questions, but have considered just installing a Apple Carplay/Android Auto unit?
Wanted to go that route also...but was trying to keep it stock looking if possible
Koodo $40-6GB, 1000 LD Minutes, Unlimited Canada Wide Calling, Unlimited text and MMS worldwide
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15426 posts
4597 upvotes
London
Those OEM Honda GPS systems from back then were pretty awful and map updates were expensive

I would do the carplay/ Android auto route
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3726 posts
3836 upvotes
GTA
I've looked into this for my 2006 Accord, and while it is possible, it's quite involved and expensive.

The head-unit itself from a scrap yard is probably $300 CAD. But that not all you need. There's a fellow who gathers all the parts, does the conversion wiring, and sells it as a kit on eBay. It's $1200 USD. I assume the process is similar for a Civic.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2003-to-2007-HO ... SwvPRZYPJ5

So while I would like the navigation, it's simply too expensive to upgrade to the OEM system. And even after all that money, it wouldn't even have Bluetooth connectivity.

So you can go the OEM route, or look into aftermarket headunits.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2495 posts
256 upvotes
Scarborough
derass wrote: I've looked into this for my 2006 Accord, and while it is possible, it's quite involved and expensive.

The head-unit itself from a scrap yard is probably $300 CAD. But that not all you need. There's a fellow who gathers all the parts, does the conversion wiring, and sells it as a kit on eBay. It's $1200 USD. I assume the process is similar for a Civic.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2003-to-2007-HO ... SwvPRZYPJ5

So while I would like the navigation, it's simply too expensive to upgrade to the OEM system. And even after all that money, it wouldn't even have Bluetooth connectivity.

So you can go the OEM route, or look into aftermarket headunits.
Thanks for the info...I will definitely go aftermarket route then....

Did anyone deal with Joying car audio?

https://www.amazon.ca/Android-Octa-Core ... +head+unit
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9941 posts
818 upvotes
Toronto
Go the double din, aftermarket style. worlds better! 7inch screen! have it installed on my 2008 civic.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1244 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
akito925 wrote: Go the double din, aftermarket style. worlds better! 7inch screen! have it installed on my 2008 civic.
Can you share which one you have installed? What is the model?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2641 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
I had a CSX 2008 with NAV and that HU was terrible.

Get something like a Pioneer AVIC series. Spend the money, do it right.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2495 posts
256 upvotes
Scarborough
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote: I had a CSX 2008 with NAV and that HU was terrible.

Get something like a Pioneer AVIC series. Spend the money, do it right.
I might go with Pioneer or even Kenwood...
Jan 19, 2007
950 posts
426 upvotes
Torontario
Believe it or not - year ago I was considering the same for the wifey's 08 CIVIC.

Things that discouraged me
1. Finding a Honda stock salvage unit on ebay is easy - there a few models and they sell in the 200-300 range in almost pristine shape
2. You need the a new plastic panel and that to match the rest of the interior
3. You need elbow grease to dissemble the dash (chance of braking some plastic) and deal with the wires and connectors.
4. Not sure about the the after-market, but for the stock one you needed to get after-market GPS antenna (connector, cable with receiver) that you need to hide in the dash
5. GPS unit you might on eBay will 100% be locked - you need unlock code, and good luck somebody on ebay to give you that...so you need somebody to unlock it for money
6. You need to update the maps - which again would be at best eBay and providing the VIN to a dude to send you a DVD/CD to upgrade with

So once you all done, all fair and square, and the hours and additional money you spend doing all these: you are still at disadvantage: the NAV unit still does not have traffic alerts, does not have apps, or is not like Waze to get updated regularly. At best i think you have some increased experience on the radio as it gets RDS on stations I believe and this bigger screen.

Compare that against: Any android device (with Offline google maps) on a suction cup with GPS, will do as much value as all these above not mentioned using your personal phone.
In short: wifey is settled with a phone on a suction cup and uses whatever app she likes with her data plan
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2495 posts
256 upvotes
Scarborough
ohnabatko wrote: Believe it or not - year ago I was considering the same for the wifey's 08 CIVIC.

Things that discouraged me
1. Finding a Honda stock salvage unit on ebay is easy - there a few models and they sell in the 200-300 range in almost pristine shape
2. You need the a new plastic panel and that to match the rest of the interior
3. You need elbow grease to dissemble the dash (chance of braking some plastic) and deal with the wires and connectors.
4. Not sure about the the after-market, but for the stock one you needed to get after-market GPS antenna (connector, cable with receiver) that you need to hide in the dash
5. GPS unit you might on eBay will 100% be locked - you need unlock code, and good luck somebody on ebay to give you that...so you need somebody to unlock it for money
6. You need to update the maps - which again would be at best eBay and providing the VIN to a dude to send you a DVD/CD to upgrade with

So once you all done, all fair and square, and the hours and additional money you spend doing all these: you are still at disadvantage: the NAV unit still does not have traffic alerts, does not have apps, or is not like Waze to get updated regularly. At best i think you have some increased experience on the radio as it gets RDS on stations I believe and this bigger screen.

Compare that against: Any android device (with Offline google maps) on a suction cup with GPS, will do as much value as all these above not mentioned using your personal phone.
In short: wifey is settled with a phone on a suction cup and uses whatever app she likes with her data plan
Thanks for the info...I may end up getting one the aftermarket units...