Home & Garden

Will removing a gas fireplace (and replacing with an electric fireplace) negatively impact resale value?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2019 10:22 am
[OP]
Jan 5, 2019
19 posts
4 upvotes

Will removing a gas fireplace (and replacing with an electric fireplace) negatively impact resale value?

First-time home buyer here. I've a detached property in Oakville, Ontario (near Toronto) that I need to make some changes to.

I'm wondering if removing a fireplace would add (or reduce) resale value of the home down the road? We'll be living here for at least the next 5-7 years, but just thinking ahead. Photo here. As you can see, the fireplace is taking up valuable space in the family room, where we'd like to wall mount a TV. We're thinking of mounting an electric fireplace under the TV, so they're both flush against the back wall.

Would making these changes negatively impact the value of the house? I realize it's subjective, but curious to hear from those who've been through this process a few times (buying/selling/upgrading homes).
42 replies
Jun 25, 2016
74 posts
35 upvotes
I think it would look better with a TV there... fireplace right now is in an awkward (too high) location. I don't think you'd lose value but that's a personal opinion
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11185 posts
10513 upvotes
Oakville
Nobody buys a home for the fireplace. You could remove it entirely and it wouldn't make a difference. In fact your insurance may go down since there's a slightly lower fire/injury risk.
Just think, did you offer more because there was a gas fireplace? Maybe on some fancy home with a $60k fireplace, but not for a regular insert.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11322 posts
5757 upvotes
Toronto
Personally I hate tvs above fireplaces. I would keep a NG insert over electric any day but that's preference. As mentioned, a fp does absolutely nothing for resale. You're in for a huge shocker when finally find out what will add to your resale value and what will not. Hint, mostly anything internally/cosmetically to your home will not affect resale. It's all personal preference. Open floor plans, paint, moving a door, installing pot lights, fireplaces, etc... The list goes on and on. Adding a bathroom or bedroom or something of that nature will increase the value a few thousand but if you're only in this place for 5-7 years, you're money making is based on comps in your area and supply vs demand.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3280 posts
999 upvotes
Ottawa
Do what you want for yourself, assuming you plan to live there.

But the cost of electricity means I would remove an electric fireplace ASAP. I love our gas insert, which costs much less to run and looks way better, but to each their own.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10273 posts
4409 upvotes
Brampton
The fireplace alone wouldn't make or break it.
It's how you're going to redo that room. That whole wall is super dated. If you get rid of it as long as it's tasteful and modern it won't resale. But if you just rip it out and it's weird yes that will reflect resale.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6701 posts
3864 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I like fireplaces, but I don't think that one is adding much of anything to the room. The placement of it looks strange to me. I think you need to update that wall anyways, but I don't think removing the fireplace will be a big deal for resale purposes. It is hanging in the spot that most people these days would want to put their TV (most people's ideal TV placement would be encroaching into the area that is currently taken up by the top half of that fireplace).

At the very least you should paint that tile. It looks really dated.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11973 posts
7990 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Won't impact value whether it is a gas or electric fireplace. In fact there's new builds that don't even have a fireplace. The key is to make the room functional and that will bring value.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
2776 posts
672 upvotes
When I built my house, I told builder to remove fireplace and got $2.5k in return. To me fp is useless. It increases your home insurance as well by the way.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3280 posts
999 upvotes
Ottawa
braveblade wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 1:34 pm
When I built my house, I told builder to remove fireplace and got $2.5k in return. To me fp is useless. It increases your home insurance as well by the way.
Only a wood fireplace increases insurance cost. Not gas or electric.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1854 posts
913 upvotes
Another thing to consider is that gas would be cheaper than electric but might be a moot point if you don't regularly use it. Too bad they didn't install closer to the floor - you might have been able to install the TV without having to move the fireplace.

Another option, and what I would probably do in your situation is put the TV on the wall leave the fireplace as is- sofa would be against the window.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2098 posts
1431 upvotes
SW Ontario
OttawaGardener wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 3:41 pm
Only a wood fireplace increases insurance cost. Not gas or electric.
Da true ... DAMHIK Face With Rolling EyesFace With Rolling EyesFace With Rolling Eyes
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2098 posts
1431 upvotes
SW Ontario
Keep the NG fireplace .... no body wants an electric one, let alone run one.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11385 posts
2593 upvotes
Montréal
I personally dunno why ppl want to pipe a dangerous/flammable liquid into the home so it wouldn't negatively affect and would actually be a bonus if I was buying.

I don't think mounting a TV above a fireplace is a good idea either, gas, wood or electric.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2098 posts
1431 upvotes
SW Ontario
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 5:44 pm
I personally dunno why ppl want to pipe a dangerous/flammable liquid into the home so it wouldn't negatively affect and would actually be a bonus if I was buying.

I don't think mounting a TV above a fireplace is a good idea either, gas, wood or electric.
No different than a gas stove, gas dryer, gas water heater, gas forced air furnace, gas BBQ, gas pool heater ... meh!