Careers

Will there by a DRAP v2 for the public sector?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2021 10:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3368 posts
1321 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area

Will there by a DRAP v2 for the public sector?

Sometimes I find myself toying with the idea of jumping from the private sector to the federal government because as I get older, I'm starting to put more importance in work life balance and job security.

With that said, stability and job security will always be the determining factor if I were to ever make the jump, whether it's now or a few years down the road.

Now I keep hearing that there's a possibility of a "DRAP v2" happening soon where we might see extensive job cuts at the federal level. Where are these rumors coming from? Is there actually any possibility that something like this might happen?
<removed>
12 replies
Jun 10, 2020
578 posts
555 upvotes
Haven't worked for them for 3 years, so don't know for sure, but I can hazard a guess as to why....
Justin F'in Trudeau -- he's been expanding the public sector like crazy on a drunken binge, and from what I've heard there's a lot of deadweight right now..

Curious as to why so many people think on here that the public sector is going to be dying to hire them though... that it's a good, secure "fall-back" after working in the private sector. Unless you live in Ottawa (which from all accounts on here is just full of rather unproductive bureaucrats) ... my experience of 7 years with them was that it was very competitive to get on with them, and my job was exceedingly high pressure and work-demanding. We had high turnover in our office for a reason, but highperformers did well. I was in two regional offices out west ... Environmental field. Some regulators are loath to hire private sector people. Too many potential conflicts of interest/easy on industry. YMMV.
Last edited by DasHip on Aug 16th, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 12, 2006
940 posts
530 upvotes
I sure hope so - tax payers can't afford it and these massive deficits are not helping either. Anything the government can offload and have private sector / businesses do, they should.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5535 posts
1085 upvotes
DasHip wrote: Haven't worked for them for 3 years, so don't know for sure, but I can hazard a guess as to why....
Justin F'in Trudeau -- he's been expanding the public sector like crazy on a drunken binge, and from what I've heard there's a lot of deadweight right now..

Curious as to why so many people think on here that the public sector is going to be dying to hire them though... that it's a good, secure "fall-back" after working in the private sector. Unless you live in Ottawa (which from all accounts on here is just full of rather unproductive bureaucrats) ... my experience of 7 years with them was that it was very competitive to get on with them, and my job was exceedingly high pressure and work-demanding. We had high turnover in our office for a reason, but highperformers did well. I was in two regional offices out west (Alberta)... Environmental field. Some regulators are loath to hire private sector people. Too many potential conflicts of interest/easy on industry. YMMV.
When I worked for the Feds a decade ago I would say it was somewhere between 30-40% dead weight so if that is true I can't imagine how bad it is now
Jun 10, 2020
578 posts
555 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote: When I worked for the Feds a decade ago I would say it was somewhere between 30-40% dead weight so if that is true I can't imagine how bad it is now
I'm a centre-left leaning political orientation kind of guy, but believe in fiscal responsibility too.. This Drunken Trustafarian spending lately is anything but....

I was for restoring funding to the CBC cut under Harper.. Now it's gone full-circle and the CBC is wasting our $$ again with some programming that's absolute crap, 'paying' podcasters to do and produce whatever it is they do, and has gone completely far-leftwing /Social Justice Warrior/Affirmative action everything. What a waste. Let quality win.

Schitt's Creek for instance, it was created under pre-slush-fund CBC, was quality and won awards.
Most everything they're producing now, :P

I don't need some dude on some obscure CBC show dressed as a woman tell me "we are all transitioning", thanks. 0.5% of the population represented like it's 50%+.

Live and let live (Schitts creek message?) .. Love and let love, but don't force this stuff down our throats.
Feb 12, 2006
940 posts
530 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote: When I worked for the Feds a decade ago I would say it was somewhere between 30-40% dead weight so if that is true I can't imagine how bad it is now

30 to 40%? More like 60-75%. Did you know that they are STILL USING FAX MACHINS TO SEND DOCUMENTS? It’s unbelievable - even 3rd world countries have moved on to better, more efficient tech like DocUSign, etc. Most of the public parasites are paper pushers, pure waste.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
3592 posts
1084 upvotes
GTA
dc200 wrote: Sometimes I find myself toying with the idea of jumping from the private sector to the federal government because as I get older, I'm starting to put more importance in work life balance and job security.

With that said, stability and job security will always be the determining factor if I were to ever make the jump, whether it's now or a few years down the road.

Now I keep hearing that there's a possibility of a "DRAP v2" happening soon where we might see extensive job cuts at the federal level. Where are these rumors coming from? Is there actually any possibility that something like this might happen?
Not under JT especially with the election just announced, an Erin O’Toole government will likely squeeze 5 to 10% cuts the same way Harper used to do it by freezing spending (which is a cut due to inflation and expanding population/demand for service) or not replacing those that leave or retire using a hiring freeze.

Once you have an indeterminate position though, the likelihood of these issues affecting you is low as terms are the first to go.
Jan 23, 2017
58 posts
20 upvotes
etobicoke
Would love to see a new version of the DRAP...
See the dead weight disappear.

28% of people in the building I work in (in Toronto) are eligible to retire as of Apr 1, 2021...
31% as of Apr 2022...

Will be interesting..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7212 posts
1455 upvotes
Scarborough
Alot of service everywhere has suffered a lot of cuts due to covid problems (distancing, offices closed etc). Remember the ridiculous wait time to get in touch with CRA, EI offices?
You want a 5 hr hold next?
Then in some places hardly anything gets done...

Any cuts need to be carefully planned.....get ready for more people on EI and CRB.....if job losses mount.
With impending lockdowns in uncertain times and high inflation, its not pretty out there

Wait and see who comes into power Sept 20th......
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5535 posts
1085 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: Alot of service everywhere has suffered a lot of cuts due to covid problems (distancing, offices closed etc). Remember the ridiculous wait time to get in touch with CRA, EI offices?
You want a 5 hr hold next?
Then in some places hardly anything gets done...

Any cuts need to be carefully planned.....get ready for more people on EI and CRB.....if job losses mount.
With impending lockdowns in uncertain times and high inflation, its not pretty out there

Wait and see who comes into power Sept 20th......
How much of this is staffing vs slow / laziness?

When I worked at the government most people were barely operating at 50% capacity. People would just sit around the coffee maker and chat all day.

I can't even count how many times I was told by managers and coworkers to SLOW DOWN my work and I was trying to hard (and even I was dogging it)
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4506 posts
2405 upvotes
DasHip wrote: I'm a centre-left leaning political orientation kind of guy, but believe in fiscal responsibility too.. This Drunken Trustafarian spending lately is anything but....

I was for restoring funding to the CBC cut under Harper.. Now it's gone full-circle and the CBC is wasting our $$ again with some programming that's absolute crap, 'paying' podcasters to do and produce whatever it is they do, and has gone completely far-leftwing /Social Justice Warrior/Affirmative action everything. What a waste. Let quality win.

Schitt's Creek for instance, it was created under pre-slush-fund CBC, was quality and won awards.
Most everything they're producing now, :P

I don't need some dude on some obscure CBC show dressed as a woman tell me "we are all transitioning", thanks. 0.5% of the population represented like it's 50%+.

Live and let live (Schitts creek message?) .. Love and let love, but don't force this stuff down our throats.
What’s up with the disgusting homophobia? You do know the CBC media side television shows employs a ton of Canadians all across the nation. For goodness sakes one of them is the lead star for Marvel. Some people are so shortsighted….
Jun 10, 2020
578 posts
555 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: What’s up with the disgusting homophobia? You do know the CBC media side television shows employs a ton of Canadians all across the nation. For goodness sakes one of them is the lead star for Marvel. Some people are so shortsighted….
Speak for yourself buddy. You must see "disgusting homophobia" wherever you look, you Knight/Social Justice Warrior you. What virtue.
"We are all" entitled to opinions buddy. Mine just happens to not meet yours. Debate the fact of what was stated, not some ad hominem you've come up with.

Kims Convenience and Schitts Creek were both created (under production) under lean (Harper) CBC times (prior to 2016), and did just fine.
CBC can do with 50% less funding, easily, and will likely produce better content for it. These are lean times and we don't have the funds to be funding artists on their whims or their podcasts. The leanest and best will survive. The economy is not crying for more actors and arts students.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4506 posts
2405 upvotes
DasHip wrote: Speak for yourself buddy. You must see "disgusting homophobia" wherever you look, you Knight/Social Justice Warrior you. What virtue.
"We are all" entitled to opinions buddy. Mine just happens to not meet yours. Debate the fact of what was stated, not some ad hominem you've come up with.

Kims Convenience and Schitts Creek were both created (under production) under lean (Harper) CBC times (prior to 2016), and did just fine.
CBC can do with 50% less funding, easily, and will likely produce better content for it. These are lean times and we don't have the funds to be funding artists on their whims or their podcasts. The leanest and best will survive. The economy is not crying for more actors and arts students.
This is silly.

I disagree that making cuts to CBC is going to make a dent to improve Canadians livelihood or our economy. We have wealthy billionaires making money off the backs off of hard working Canadians (and not paying their fair share), yet, cuts to the CBC is a talking point during election. Makes no sense to me.