Food & Drink

Will turkeys go on sale after Christmas?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2016 5:56 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2012
472 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto

Will turkeys go on sale after Christmas?

I decide that I should learn to roast the first turkey in my life. Just wondering if turkeys go on sale after Christmas as I try to get a cheap one. Thanks.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7550 posts
2719 upvotes
Yes, I bought a fresh 10lb turkey on Thanksgiving day at Loblaws this year for $8 on clearance. They did the same thing last Boxing Day...all fresh turkeys were $0.99/lb and I had a PCPlus offer giving me an additional 20% off.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2012
472 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Wow for $8 I would buy 2 to practice different cooking method. Thanks.
Oct 14, 2012
654 posts
374 upvotes
Woodstock
One thing to know is that about the first 5 lbs/2 kg of a turkey is mostly bones. So a 10 lb bird will not have all that much meat and a 15+ lb bird will have a lot of meat because the weight of the bones is very close to the same. We prefer to buy a single larger bird than two smaller ones for that reason, especially since our family prefers dark meat to light, and there is almost no dark meat on a small bird.

If you wait for Christmas clearances, you will have to take the size and brand that is left after everyone picks what they want. You may want to buy one this week instead, as they are on sale for quite good prices. For e.g. Metro has an ad in the GTA for various frozen ones at 1.49 a pound. Other stores likely have them cheaper.

If you cook the bones for soup stock, you can get a lot of very flavourful stock for future use. Turkey has a stronger flavour than chicken.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6857 posts
1546 upvotes
Cheap turkey is my usual Boxing Day purchase.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43704 posts
6935 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
BetCrooks wrote: One thing to know is that about the first 5 lbs/2 kg of a turkey is mostly bones. So a 10 lb bird will not have all that much meat and a 15+ lb bird will have a lot of meat because the weight of the bones is very close to the same. We prefer to buy a single larger bird than two smaller ones for that reason, especially since our family prefers dark meat to light, and there is almost no dark meat on a small bird.

If you wait for Christmas clearances, you will have to take the size and brand that is left after everyone picks what they want. You may want to buy one this week instead, as they are on sale for quite good prices. For e.g. Metro has an ad in the GTA for various frozen ones at 1.49 a pound. Other stores likely have them cheaper.

If you cook the bones for soup stock, you can get a lot of very flavourful stock for future use. Turkey has a stronger flavour than chicken.
Thats not so bad... thanks giving is usually a 10lb bird for my family.
Feeds 8 adults + 2 toddlers
Apr 12, 2005
924 posts
158 upvotes
rliuthu wrote: I decide that I should learn to roast the first turkey in my life. Just wondering if turkeys go on sale after Christmas as I try to get a cheap one. Thanks.
Hell Yes.

99c/lb or less

IMO avoid the butterball or any of the other chemically injected gobblers and try to get a fresh or at the very least non-injected turkey

You can always add butter under the skin if so desired to get a moister bird.

If you are going to try some comparison cooking, you should definitely brine one of the birds. Results in a much juicier end result. Google it. lots of recipes and techniques. I am partial to a brined turkey, butter under the skin and breast covered in cheesecloth. Wrap the legs part way through to keep them from burning, and remove cheesecloth towards end to crisp up the skin.

Good luck
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7074 posts
4220 upvotes
Victoria, BC
UrbanPoet wrote: Thats not so bad... thanks giving is usually a 10lb bird for my family.
Feeds 8 adults + 2 toddlers
Agreed. I always get a 10lb turkey and there is loads of meat on it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8067 posts
4459 upvotes
Alberta
Grade A turkeys are on sale at Safeway for $0.77 /lb in their flyer. Turkeys are so easy to cook. As mentioned above, avoid the Butterball ones. Save the bones and make a turkey noodle soup. Wife freezes them if she's not going to use them in the next few days.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11439 posts
2020 upvotes
Toronto
Frozen is cheapest. Let it thaw in the fridge for 3 days. Plenty of youtube vids on cooking good turkey.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
716 upvotes
no frills has been trying to sell their leftover thanksgiving turkeys since way back for 99 cents per lb. It's an on going sale. You can bet next year no frills wont make this same mistake, and might even consider not stocking the generic turkeys.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7724 posts
1603 upvotes
RCSS here is already selling at $0.77/lbs, I don't know how cheap it will go after xmas, assuming they still have stock by then.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted: