Will a water heater fit in my Prius?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2019 10:35 pm
[OP]
Feb 25, 2009
124 posts
9 upvotes

Will a water heater fit in my Prius?

Lowe's seems to have the best price on water heaters right now, but they won't deliver to my area.
I know you are supposed to keep them upright, but I've read that you can move them carefully on their side (keeping the valve up, not stacking anything on top, etc.)
Just wondering if it woud fit in a Prius hatchback - with or without the box.

Looking at this model: GSW 50 US Gallon Short 40000 BTU
https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-water- ... ted-520459

Option 2:
The next option is a Rheem at Home Depot. It is $145 more with curbside delivery. It may be my better option if the Prius won't work due to size or risk of damage.
Rheem Performance Power Vent 150L (40 Gal.)
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rheem- ... 1001070394

Any ideas?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1604 posts
1298 upvotes
Bookeroo wrote: Lowe's seems to have the best price on water heaters right now, but they won't deliver to my area.
I know you are supposed to keep them upright, but I've read that you can move them carefully on their side (keeping the valve up, not stacking anything on top, etc.)

Option 2:
The next option is a Rheem at Home Depot. It is $145 more with curbside delivery. It may be my better option if the Prius won't work due to size or risk of damage.

Any ideas?
Diameter is about 2', it is 5' tall and weight 200 lbs. So what do you think??? You can go measure the opening of your prius. At the minimum you need to be two to load and unload. Personally I think it is a bad idea but that's just me. Btw electric tank are more prone to damages when carried on its side than gas ones.

A better solution might be to rent a small van at HD or Lowes and to use it to bring the tank back home. HD has small van 90 minutes for $25.
Last edited by TomLafinsky on Dec 6th, 2019 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mistakes are learning opportunities. Not the expression of failure.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2484 posts
907 upvotes
Woodbridge
If I was in your shoes, I would not fit the water heater horizontally in car. WH has three components which can be easily damaged
1. Gas Valve
2. T&P Valve and drain ( generally on the same side)
3. FVIR Sensor Kit ( intake for WH)
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7966 posts
2658 upvotes
Maple
OP

No. They don't fit. Don't lay it flat. I bought same model GSW from Lowes. Bite the bullet, I paid the contractor who installed to pickup.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11845 posts
8116 upvotes
Edmonton
Bookeroo wrote: Lowe's seems to have the best price on water heaters right now, but they won't deliver to my area.

Option 2:

Any ideas?
Check the Lowes to see if they offer a truck/van rental service. HD does, and it's reasonably priced. Much less than $145, unless you're a long ways away (I guess).

C
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1604 posts
1298 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Check the Lowes to see if they offer a truck/van rental service. HD does, and it's reasonably priced. Much less than $145, unless you're a long ways away (I guess).

C
That's exactly what I recommended. Lowes usually have vans/trucks. And if the don't you can rent one at HD and use it to bring back home the tank from Lowes. One way or the other it will be cheaper than $145.
Mistakes are learning opportunities. Not the expression of failure.
Sep 15, 2018
176 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa
lol I just bought that water heater a few months ago. doesn't fit my Odyssey with everything fold down.
I rented Lowe's van for 20 bucks
Jan 13, 2009
843 posts
362 upvotes
Get tankless. It fit in the back seat of my 3 series BMW
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9608 posts
5010 upvotes
Paris
I 100% laid down 2 brand new water heaters when bringing them home, in packaging.

I’ve seen gas ones laying down in the store on shelves. If removing from packaging, I would be concerned about the various protruding valves.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15625 posts
16769 upvotes
Oakville
elfion wrote: Get tankless. It fit in the back seat of my 3 series BMW
You could buy a beater van to transport the tank for the price difference for a tankless.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9608 posts
5010 upvotes
Paris
engineered wrote: You could buy a beater van to transport the tank for the price difference for a tankless.
You could pay a homeless person 1000 dollars to wheel it to your house in a shopping cart and still be ahead.

Loved the humble brag on the 3 series BMW. Water heaters dont fit in my Ferrari Californian guys... What should I do?
Jan 13, 2009
843 posts
362 upvotes
Jerico wrote: You could pay a homeless person 1000 dollars to wheel it to your house in a shopping cart and still be ahead.

Loved the humble brag on the 3 series BMW. Water heaters dont fit in my Ferrari Californian guys... What should I do?
ahahah why would you think that was a brag?) My beemer is worth $1000 on a good day, I was simply mentioning the make and model to provide a size reference. you have a strange idea what is considered a luxary vehicle. I loved that you thought BMWs are expensive.
Yeah, maybe you would, if you are comparing buying a new tankless to taking tanked out of the trash. I personally bought a BNIB Rheem condensing from a guy on Kijiji for 1200. And the installation cost me about 250 bucks including hiring a gas technician, and buying PVC and PEX pipes and fittings (200 for gas, 50 for the rest)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9608 posts
5010 upvotes
Paris
elfion wrote: ahahah why would you think that was a brag?) My beemer is worth $1000 on a good day, I was simply mentioning the make and model to provide a size reference. you have a strange idea what is considered a luxary vehicle. I loved that you thought BMWs are expensive.
Yeah, maybe you would, if you are comparing buying a new tankless to taking tanked out of the trash. I personally bought a BNIB Rheem condensing from a guy on Kijiji for 1200. And the installation cost me about 250 bucks including hiring a gas technician, and buying PVC and PEX pipes and fittings (200 for gas, 50 for the rest)
Thats the thing... I know what a BMW 3 series is so made it all the more funny.
May 15, 2017
195 posts
168 upvotes

Option 2:

Any ideas?
Only one way to find out! Please take pictures if you do, though. Hatchbacks are deceiving in how much space they have.

(Also, they are fine laying on their side. Just don't lay it on the valve side and wreck stuff. Brought mine home in the back of a van).
Jan 21, 2007
101 posts
6 upvotes
I fit a 50g rheem in our gen 2 Prius our model didn't have a powervent so this might not work for you. The heater has been going strong for 4 yrs.