Shopping Discussion

Will we ever get personal protection supplies?

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2020 12:59 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2001 posts
486 upvotes
In Hiding

Will we ever get personal protection supplies?

Is the government buying up and storing all the supplies like Lysol wipes/spray/liquid, hand sanitizer, N95 masks, plastic gloves and all other disinfectants for the foreseeable future? I didn't hoard but I do use all these products (except masks) on a daily basis and can't find any so have to think of alternatives, like mixing Lysol toilet cleaner with water to use with baby wipes. What about laundry powder dissolved in hot water or borax or caustic soda as vinegar doesn't work to kill the virus.

Has anyone heard if there's any plan by the companies to make a percentage of the items available to the public? Seems like they're not delivering to any of the supermarkets or Costco? Just because we seniors are not living in longterm care homes, doesn't mean that our immunity is great so just wondering.
47 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35074 posts
21041 upvotes
Center of Universe
Demand is surpassing supplies.
You have to wait until this pandemic slows down a bit.
May 2, 2019
160 posts
684 upvotes
Canada
Catnippy wrote: mixing Lysol toilet cleaner with water to use with baby wipes.
What?
Temporel wrote: Just think how addictive this site is, how many times a day you check RFD and for how many years you've been doing that.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1178 posts
1315 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Yeah i'm pretty sure that the government is taking everything. The only hand sanitizer have managed to get was from walmart.

And you do realize that there are several cleaners that are also disinfectants - in the sense that they are strong enough in some property that they kill the germs (eg. virus, bacteria).

Suggestions for potential cleaning agents: Goo-Gone, Spray-Nine, Bleach, Baking Soda.

PS. I haven't heard anyone using baby wipes combined with toilet bowl cleaner. That be too weird for me girl!!!!!!
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15194 posts
12350 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Cleaning Supplies & Personal Hygiene Items ...
Ya THE HOARDERS ruined it for everyone else

Not much better on the REAL PPE Front
They got in on that stuff early too

To the point where there’s not enough for the rest of us
Nor ... enough for those on the front line who really need these supplies now *

As longtime Strategic Shoppers
We were ok going into this Pandemic with a small stockpile of TP, PT, Kleenex, Bleach, and Lysol Wipes
Plenty of Dish Soap & Handsoap too

Since April 1st
We bought another pkg of PT from Costco
And another bottle of Bleach from the Grocery Store

Latex Gloves we keep on hand no matter what for odd jobs
(You can get them at Cdn Tire & DIY Big Box Stores)

* REAL PPE ... Don’t believe in regular folk getting honest to goodness N95 Masks
Or surgical masks
(Lol, and don’t get me started on hospital gowns, hazmat suits, face shields ... or ventilators
But ya ... some peeps have been hoarding those as well )

All of these items...
They are more useful for the front line workers
It’s people silliness over figuring everyone should have them ... that’s caused the shortage for those that TRULY NEED THEM
The healthcare workers
If you ain’t sick ... you certainly don’t need them
If you are sick ... STAY TA EFF AT HOME ... as the saying goes
(Although the use of masks WITHIN A SICK Quarantined House is debatable ... although I could see some benefit here )

Don’t have Covid
Have decided to go out of your house to interact in the real world
Then you need only a few things ...

1- Soap & Water ... good for hand washing or any other wipe down tasks

2- Hand Sanitizer ... nice in a pinch. But hand washing still works better

3- Wipes, Bleach etc ... convenient for sure. But a luxury ... Soap & Water can work just as well

4- Latex Gloves ... another convenient to have item. But again, Soap & Water can work just as well

5- Face Mask ... it works to PROTECT OTHERS FROM YOU. So a considerate thing to own. But still highly debated about its usefulness. Although it does look like in some social situations (like flying) it’s gonna become a REQUIREMENT. Solution ... just make or buy a cloth mask ... several in fact ... so you can use & launder them as needed. A little googling and you can find them for purchase. Lots of sources ... be it something we’ll known like Tilley, or home sewers on Etsy etc. Way more environmentally friendly & cheaper too in the long run than going thru a huge pile of disposable medical grade (surgical or N95) masks.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Apr 20th, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15413 posts
16505 upvotes
Oakville
Bleach, or just soapy water will kill all corona virus. That said, you shouldn't need to clean the inside of your house that obsessively. Keep the virus outside.
Sep 15, 2012
650 posts
295 upvotes
Mississauga
Catnippy wrote: like mixing Lysol toilet cleaner with water to use with baby wipes.
Jan 17, 2013
661 posts
258 upvotes
Have you noticed that now you can find bathroom tissues at Walmart, etc? Few weeks back, no store has any stock. The same applies here, you just need to wait a bit for the products to show up again.

In the mean time, buy a bottle of Dettol, mix with water, put in a spray bottle and use it to disinfect your items.

Does Dettol kill the Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new strain of coronavirus. It is not yet available for commercial testing.

Specific Dettol products have demonstrated effectiveness (>99.9% inactivation) against coronavirus strains from the same family as the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in third party laboratory testing, when used in accordance with the directions for use. These products are: Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleanser Spray, Dettol Antibacterial Surface Cleanser Wipes, Dettol All-In-One Disinfectant Spray, and Dettol Disinfectant Liquid.

Given the structural similarities of the COVID-19 virus to the coronavirus strains tested previously (SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV, Human Coronavirus), and based on the evidence available to us, we would expect our Dettol products (listed above) to be effective against the new strain. Definitive scientific confirmation of this, as with all other commercially available virucides, can only be provided once testing against COVID-19 Coronavirus has been conducted, following release of the strain by relevant health authorities.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15413 posts
16505 upvotes
Oakville
stack21 wrote: Have you noticed that now you can find bathroom tissues at Walmart, etc? Few weeks back, no store has any stock. The same applies here, you just need to wait a bit for the products to show up again.

In the mean time, buy a bottle of Dettol, mix with water, put in a spray bottle and use it to disinfect your items.
Yea, grocery stores now have walls of toilet paper that nobody is buying because they're so over stocked. I'd hate to be doing their logistics.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1133 posts
379 upvotes
Vancouver
Gloves haven't really been out of stock or anything from what I've seen. Regular masks are now available online and I've seen them at dollar stores and grocery stores. N95 masks are probably overkill unless you work in a high risk area.
Nov 29, 2019
74 posts
63 upvotes
Op,, what are you talking about? I could purchase most of these products that you mentioned in regular retail stores except N95, and I certainly don't think the government is buying all these products that we don't have enough supplies.
If you are avoiding to go outside at all, try to shop online and get them delivered, yeah that is tricky (you have to be very diligent and it will cost you more).
However, if you are a senior, you can shop an hour earlier than everyone else at Costco/ Canadian Tires/ London Drugs/ Superstore/ Walmart. Yes the cost is bit more expansive than before, and you may need to shop from more than one store, and there is a buy limit.. But all these products are still available! Don't come up with a weird chemistry experiment to mix chemicals that you don't know what kind of reaction you will get.
I suggest you check Canadian Tire online for Lysol wipes, Hand Sanitizer, Gloves, (they've got even non medical 3-ply earloop masks if you are interested), order them online and pick up at the store. Make sure you check the available stores and you may have to travel further to get all of them at once. If online order doesn't work, then you phone the store directly. But really, all you have to do is shop early in the morning and there may be a line up..nothing too crazy except for Costco.
Last edited by starsoda on Apr 21st, 2020 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2001 posts
486 upvotes
In Hiding
Thanks, I'll check the Canadian Tire stores. I haven't been out of home for 2.5 months, using Instacart to shop Superstore and Walmart, and directly from Costco online and no luck - maybe should venture out for Canadian Tire curbside pickup. I've been buying items I usually get at Dollarama for 3-4 times the price from Amazon and Walmart, but too nervous to go there too.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15194 posts
12350 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Catnippy wrote: Thanks, I'll check the Canadian Tire stores. I haven't been out of home for 2.5 months, using Instacart to shop Superstore and Walmart, and directly from Costco online and no luck - maybe should venture out for Canadian Tire curbside pickup. I've been buying items I usually get at Dollarama for 3-4 times the price from Amazon and Walmart, but too nervous to go there too.
InstaCart is a good service.

In fact, IMO using a Personal Shopper & Delivery Service is the absolute best if someone is over 70, or has a pre existing medical condition .. and no family that can step in to run these errands.

Going out at all in the community ... gets more risky the older you are ... or the more serious ones health conditions are

YOUR HOME IS YOUR SAFE SPACE / SANCTUARY

So the fewer people you introduce into it the better

We are 2 active seniors over 60 ... and have few pre existing conditions ... so we are on the better side of all this as Seniors

Still though ... we limit what we do. We haven’t been INSIDE A STORE for about 6 weeks now. We use delivery services and curbside pick up. And even at that, I feel there is some element of risk. But we are extremely careful maintaining physical distancing at 6+ feet, and glove up and wipe down EVERYTHING with disinfectant that comes from outside to inside our home.

So far ... so good

If you are in the higher high risk group ... then I suggest you forego curbside pick up. And have someone else go in your stead.

If not a friend or relative ... then look online for local resources, or call your Municipality to see how to reach out to volunteers.

There are many community SERVICE Groups doing these types of errands for the most vulnerable ... local fire stations, legions, lions clubs, rotary clubs etc

You place the order online with your favourite store(s) ... and the volunteers will go out and run the errands do the pick ups at Grocery Stores, Drug Stores, Cdn Tire, Post Office ... Lol, even the Liquor Store.

Google / make some phone calls... I am sure you’ll find some volunteers in your area
Dec 24, 2011
382 posts
660 upvotes
East, Canada
Catnippy wrote: have to think of alternatives, like mixing Lysol toilet cleaner with water to use with baby wipes. What about laundry powder dissolved in hot water or borax or caustic soda as vinegar doesn't work to kill the virus.

Wow. SCIENCE. Is your logic that because Lysol manufactures cleaning wipes and they also manufacture toilet cleaner, you can substitute the lack of Lysol wipes by soaking baby wipes with Lysol toilet cleaner?

Do you use these toilet cleaner wipes on your body?

Follow-up question: Do you play the drums?
861A58D6-C4C2-44E9-8D72-8D73FA758415.jpeg
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1580 posts
726 upvotes
Canada
Bigboy16 wrote: Yeah i'm pretty sure that the government is taking everything. The only hand sanitizer have managed to get was from walmart.

And you do realize that there are several cleaners that are also disinfectants - in the sense that they are strong enough in some property that they kill the germs (eg. virus, bacteria).

Suggestions for potential cleaning agents: Goo-Gone, Spray-Nine, Bleach, Baking Soda.

PS. I haven't heard anyone using baby wipes combined with toilet bowl cleaner. That be too weird for me girl!!!!!!
Price aside ... there are PLENTY of places that sell hand sanitizers online in Canada. Your local brewery or compounding pharmacy likely also have stocks as well.
https://www.completehealthcaresupplies. ... p_335.html
https://www.surgo.com/hand-sanitizer
https://ca.shopatshowcase.com/products/ ... 4671343682
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1178 posts
1315 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
cahk wrote: Price aside ... there are PLENTY of places that sell hand sanitizers online in Canada. Your local brewery or compounding pharmacy likely also have stocks as well.
https://www.completehealthcaresupplies. ... p_335.html
https://www.surgo.com/hand-sanitizer
https://ca.shopatshowcase.com/products/ ... 4671343682
Unfortunately those prices are quite a rip off. $30 for a 1L bottle. Costco sells it for $6. haha
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1580 posts
726 upvotes
Canada
Bigboy16 wrote: Unfortunately those prices are quite a rip off. $30 for a 1L bottle. Costco sells it for $6. haha
If you can get it locally, fantastic. Just remember not every Costco (or grocery store/pharmacy, etc.) have them in stock.
Penalty Box
Jul 13, 2012
7242 posts
969 upvotes
Ottawa
Bigboy16 wrote: Unfortunately those prices are quite a rip off. $30 for a 1L bottle. Costco sells it for $6. haha
No, they don't sell it for $6 because they don't have any.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3321 posts
1154 upvotes
Woodbridge
Catnippy wrote: have to think of alternatives, like mixing Lysol toilet cleaner with water to use with baby wipes. What about laundry powder dissolved in hot water or borax or caustic soda as vinegar doesn't work to kill the virus.
EDIT: Do your own research. It appears that there is a difference between the patented "Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide" and the generic hydrogen peroxide that can be found at any drug store.
Here's another source - http://royalcaninshelterprogram.ning.co ... ost%3A3544

At school, we were given these wipes. They contain 0.5% hydrogen peroxide. It's a 1-minute virucidal wipe. My wife and I also bought a Lysol spray disinfectant cleaner whose active ingredient is 1% hydrogen peroxide. I'm no expert, and somebody PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but could these not be created by soaking a regular paper towel in the 3% hydrogen peroxide that you can buy in the brown bottle (and likely have sitting underneath a sink for the past 25 years) at the dollar store?

Last edited by OntEdTchr on Apr 24th, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1521 posts
1539 upvotes
Catnippy wrote: Thanks, I'll check the Canadian Tire stores. I haven't been out of home for 2.5 months, using Instacart to shop Superstore and Walmart, and directly from Costco online and no luck - maybe should venture out for Canadian Tire curbside pickup. I've been buying items I usually get at Dollarama for 3-4 times the price from Amazon and Walmart, but too nervous to go there too.
I noticed that my Costco had Lysol Cleaner (4L jug) and Lysol wipes in stock. Was sold out within 2 days but again you might get lucky when going Saturday mornings. Also you should wash your hands when entering your home before touching anything, this will keep germs out and you only have to wipe down (with soap and water) most commonly touched surfaces like door knobs.

I dont disinfect my place much anymore, just wash my hands when entering and i am good to go :)