Shopping Discussion

Will we ever get personal protection supplies?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2020 12:59 am
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
12111 posts
3197 upvotes
probably not

it most likely at the end of covid by the time they are available by the masses
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3882 posts
1877 upvotes
I feel sorry for the people who don't have the foresight to be better prepared for any emergency let alone when an emergency pops up they don't act at all to protect themselves and their family the best they can.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1580 posts
726 upvotes
Canada
OntEdTchr wrote: At school, we were given these wipes. They contain 0.5% hydrogen peroxide. It's a 1-minute virucidal wipe. My wife and I also bought a Lysol spray disinfectant cleaner whose active ingredient is 1% hydrogen peroxide. I'm no expert, and somebody PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but could these not be created by soaking a regular paper towel in the 3% hydrogen peroxide that you can buy in the brown bottle (and likely have sitting underneath a sink for the past 25 years) at the dollar store?

Image
No. See this for explanation: https://shyield.ca/news-and-insights/wh ... rug-store/
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4140 posts
771 upvotes
Richmond
engineered wrote: Yea, grocery stores now have walls of toilet paper that nobody is buying because they're so over stocked. I'd hate to be doing their logistics.
tell that to superstore. Its still out of stock half the time.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 14, 2004
9547 posts
599 upvotes
Markham
I feel like down the road once the supply chains normalize that we'll start seeing facemasks at Dollarama as a regularly available item.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15194 posts
12350 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
pootza wrote: I feel sorry for the people who don't have the foresight to be better prepared for any emergency let alone when an emergency pops up they don't act at all to protect themselves and their family the best they can.
Hmmm... this borders on a very elitist type comment

Some folks can not AFFORD to prepare, let alone make ends meet on a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly basis

This was one of the most apparent findings that came out of Hurricane Katrina

When disaster strikes ... the poorest peoples are always amongst the most vulnerable ... alongside the very young, the very old, and the very sick.

Don’t feel sorry for people. That’s not enough.
Work to change the system so people have a better quality of life.

Example, let your voice be heard in the LIVING WAGE MOVEMENT
Where everyone is paid a wage based on enough to live on wherever that might be ... vs just a minimum wage system that doesn’t
https://livingwagecanada.ca/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
5896 posts
295 upvotes
Quebec
my nearby Jean-Coutu has surgical masks 50 for 60$. no alcohol, glycerine or purel. maybe slowly things are going to be showing up soon.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
3518 posts
2202 upvotes
Vancouver
fakishan wrote: my nearby Jean-Coutu has surgical masks 50 for 60$. no alcohol, glycerine or purel. maybe slowly things are going to be showing up soon.
That's robbery.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1225 posts
425 upvotes
London, ON
that is just as bad as canadian tire selling 20 masks for 24.99
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6420 posts
1217 upvotes
What’s with the fixation on Lysol? Lol.

Bleach can be mixed with water to make everything from a sanitizing solution to a high level disinfectant solution. Cheap and easy. Just don’t mix QUAT based products with bleach. Big no no.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2022 posts
1940 upvotes
I found 3pack lysol wipes and 1L hand sanitizer bottle at WM customer service desk. Apparently that's where they keep all the stuff now, not on the shelves. So they can make sure 1 per customer rule is enforced.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28011 posts
8449 upvotes
amz155 wrote: What’s with the fixation on Lysol? Lol.

Bleach can be mixed with water to make everything from a sanitizing solution to a high level disinfectant solution. Cheap and easy. Just don’t mix QUAT based products with bleach. Big no no.
Also don't wipe down your infant with bleach mixed with water, also big no no lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1580 posts
726 upvotes
Canada
amz155 wrote: What’s with the fixation on Lysol? Lol.

Bleach can be mixed with water to make everything from a sanitizing solution to a high level disinfectant solution. Cheap and easy. Just don’t mix QUAT based products with bleach. Big no no.
Lysol and Clorox have the brand recognition (plus people are too lazy to measure and dilute).

There's a store near me that has loads and loads of disinfecting products in stock - Lysol wipes all got swiped, but the no-name wipes are just sitting on the shelves even though they are both approved by Health Canada and have essentially the same formulation.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3882 posts
1877 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Hmmm... this borders on a very elitist type comment

Some folks can not AFFORD to prepare, let alone make ends meet on a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly basis

This was one of the most apparent findings that came out of Hurricane Katrina

When disaster strikes ... the poorest peoples are always amongst the most vulnerable ... alongside the very young, the very old, and the very sick.

Don’t feel sorry for people. That’s not enough.
Work to change the system so people have a better quality of life.

Example, let your voice be heard in the LIVING WAGE MOVEMENT
Where everyone is paid a wage based on enough to live on wherever that might be ... vs just a minimum wage system that doesn’t
https://livingwagecanada.ca/
Sorry for your reading comprehension problem. An elitist wouldn't feel sorry ... my first three words are "I feel sorry".
Penalty Box
Jul 13, 2012
7242 posts
969 upvotes
Ottawa
I predict there will be a second shortage of PPE when the government says to stores "you can reopen, but you'd better have your customers and employees wearing masks/hand sanitizer available/etc".
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5962 posts
3061 upvotes
Mississauga
ES_Revenge wrote: Also don't wipe down your infant with bleach mixed with water, also big no no lol.
One would hope they’re not wiping down their infant with Lysol either.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15194 posts
12350 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
pootza wrote: Sorry for your reading comprehension problem. An elitist wouldn't feel sorry ... my first three words are "I feel sorry".
Your exact words were:
pootza wrote: I feel sorry for the people who don't have the foresight to be better prepared for any emergency let alone when an emergency pops up they don't act at all to protect themselves and their family the best they can.
It came off as elitist because:

It assumes that people who don’t have the foresight to prepare, are not protecting themselves or their family

Some people do the best they can with the skills & means they have at hand

Like some people might have the foresight / would LIKE to be be able to prepare BUT CANNOT FINANCIALLY
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 6, 2006
5239 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto
I was at a No Frills earlier today. They had Lysol wipes, smaller canisters, 35 wipes per can for $3.47.

They also had no name latex gloves, individually packaged for $2 a pair.

I now see paper towels and toilet paper at most places but primarily smaller packs. Maybe I never paid attention previously but I don't remember seeing all these strange brands of these items in such small quantities (2 rolls of paper towels, 4 rolls of toilet paper) anywhere. Now that is mostly what you see at most supermarkets. Maybe the odd 12/15 toilet paper.

Top