Shopping Discussion

Will we ever get personal protection supplies?

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2020 12:59 am
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15234 posts
12402 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
kindred_99 wrote: I was at a No Frills earlier today. They had Lysol wipes, smaller canisters, 35 wipes per can for $3.47.

They also had no name latex gloves, individually packaged for $2 a pair.

I now see paper towels and toilet paper at most places but primarily smaller packs. Maybe I never paid attention previously but I don't remember seeing all these strange brands of these items in such small quantities (2 rolls of paper towels, 4 rolls of toilet paper) anywhere. Now that is mostly what you see at most supermarkets. Maybe the odd 12/15 toilet paper.
Sounds like highway robbery

Geez, things must be really getting harder to find.

Or ... else someone is taking advantage here.

I got my last box of 100 Frank Vinyl Gloves @ Cdn Tire for < $ 7

TP & PT has always come in smaller quantities, 2 or 4, I have seen regularly pre Covid
Of course cost per roll is crazy expensive even in normal times vs buying in bigger quantities

And grocery stores often sell single rolls of “commercial grade” TP in paper packaging
(More like tissue paper packaging actually ) = https://c6medical.ca/products/tork-toil ... 0194&_ss=r

Ya know ... the gross stuff that is 1 ply found at gas stations / public restrooms
Apr 16, 2020
85 posts
130 upvotes
mrweather wrote: One would hope they’re not wiping down their infant with Lysol either.
One would certainly hope so, but...
Catnippy wrote: Is the government buying up and storing all the supplies like Lysol wipes/spray/liquid, hand sanitizer, N95 masks, plastic gloves and all other disinfectants for the foreseeable future? I didn't hoard but I do use all these products (except masks) on a daily basis and can't find any so have to think of alternatives, like mixing Lysol toilet cleaner with water to use with baby wipes.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3885 posts
1879 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Your exact words were:

It came off as elitist because:

It assumes that people who don’t have the foresight to prepare, are not protecting themselves or their family

Some people do the best they can with the skills & means they have at hand

Like some people might have the foresight / would LIKE to be be able to prepare BUT CANNOT FINANCIALLY
I also feel sorry for idiots, morons who are less fortunate and people who assume.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15234 posts
12402 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
pootza wrote: I also feel sorry for idiots, morons who are less fortunate and people who assume.
Ya, I got your whole ... sorry / not sorry vibe ... as I said, right from the get go.
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1748 posts
539 upvotes
Edmonton
Anyone have any luck getting Lysol or Clorox wipes lately? I missed the Walmart restock last week and still can't find it in any stores. Is isopropyl alcohol (91%) better for disinfecting electronics? Might as well use what I have.
Jul 4, 2009
977 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga area
tablo13 wrote: Anyone have any luck getting Lysol or Clorox wipes lately? I missed the Walmart restock last week and still can't find it in any stores. Is isopropyl alcohol (91%) better for disinfecting electronics? Might as well use what I have.
You can disinfect with alcohol just fine. That's what is in hand sanitizer. Alcohol content should be at least 70%. I usually dilute my alcohol to 80%. When the alcohol content is too high, it evaporates too quickly so there's not enough contact time to make sure the virus is killed.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1748 posts
539 upvotes
Edmonton
kittypink wrote: You can disinfect with alcohol just fine. That's what is in hand sanitizer. Alcohol content should be at least 70%. I usually dilute my alcohol to 80%. When the alcohol content is too high, it evaporates too quickly so there's not enough contact time to make sure the virus is killed.
Now how do I make this 91% isopropyl alcohol to be 70% isopropyl alcohol by adding water? Do I use a ruler? I bought this long before COVID to disinfect electronics, I would've bought 70% if I had known it is better for disinfecting. People told me 99% is better for electronics because it evaporates quicker and there's less potential for damage.