Automotive

Will you bring your car to CT for service?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2013 12:50 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Considering the price, trustworthiness, quality, customer service, will you bring you

• Total votes: 108. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

8%
No

92%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2010
1453 posts
114 upvotes

Will you bring your car to CT for service?

Considering the price, trustworthiness, quality, customer service, will you bring your car to Canadian tire for maintance or repairs?
92 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1213 upvotes
aGincourt
I wouldn't even let them fill up the windshield washer fluid.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15171 posts
2293 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
hrell to dah no.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
They have one of the most expensive rates, and yet, some of the least competent mechanics.

Terrible business combination.
Feb 19, 2012
904 posts
598 upvotes
Woodbridge
Criminal Tire? Seriously, I can't think of a worse place to take your car. Terrible service, lousy incompetent mechanics, and ridiculous prices. If you're looking to get robbed, why not go to the stealership instead?
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
543 upvotes
well the store sometimes has some good deals and the shop discounts on tires but repairing i would rather not.
Selling a new never installed or used Edelbrock turbo kit #1500, but lowballers and buyers offering ridiculous 500 bucks for it.http://forums.redflagdeals.com/new-edel ... s-1151134/So now it is installed and in my civic :)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1338 upvotes
packardbell wrote: well the store sometimes has some good deals and the shop discounts on tires but repairing i would rather not.
packardbell - you're a former professional mechanic, so I'd be very interested in your professional opinion..

Would you have any qualms about taking a vehicle to Canadian Tire for say one of the more ' robust ' services - say, a timing belt service or if perhaps they had to remove an entire dash in order to get at a part to perform an A /C .. heating repair ? .

For example, the dashes below had to be removed to get at a heater cores ( replacements ) .

Welcome your thoughts.

[IMG]http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upload ... 50dash.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://mechdb.com/images/thumb/c/c7/For ... cement.jpg[/IMG]

And this was needed get at an evaporator on a Benz...

[IMG]http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachm ... el-004.jpg[/IMG]
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
543 upvotes
i would not have CT perform TB service and dread if they dismantle the whole dash to get the heater core out.
i fear the dash will not be the same with for sure missing screws, bolts and nuts plus rattling noises over bumps.
my bad experiences with CT streams back to my teens when I was not a mechanic, so after with them padding the work order, having to replace parts unnecessarily, overcharging etc.... we never gone back to them. :)
Selling a new never installed or used Edelbrock turbo kit #1500, but lowballers and buyers offering ridiculous 500 bucks for it.http://forums.redflagdeals.com/new-edel ... s-1151134/So now it is installed and in my civic :)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1338 upvotes
packardbell wrote: i would not have CT perform TB service
and dread if they dismantle the whole dash to get the heater core out.
i fear the dash will not be the same with for sure missing screws, bolts and nuts plus rattling noises over bumps.
I know...gotta agree....when you see what's is involved ( i.e removing a dash as in the pics above ) in order too get at HVAC parts on some vehicles....it really makes you wonder how anyone can put it ( i.e the dash ) back together 100% exactly as it was before.
packardbell wrote: my bad experiences with CT streams back to my teens when I was not a mechanic, so after with them padding the work order, having to replace parts unnecessarily, overcharging etc.... we never gone back to them. :)
Fair enough.

But, but putting your personal experience aside for a moment - and just based on your professional knowledge of what's involved - would you have any issues with CT doing relatively simple fluid services on the transmission, brakes, power steering, coolant, oil or doing benign things like putting in new plugs, or doing a throttle body service, putting in new coils, new wheel bearings etc. ?

Also, do you think they are as able as anyone else to do a proper diagnosis of triggered codes ?
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9481 posts
2015 upvotes
Somewhere
Absolutely not.

I would only trust Robinson Automotive. The parts they use and the labour they employ are best. Best.
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5754 posts
1973 upvotes
Mort Réal
Never.

I let Walmart (in the US) mount and install my winter tires, since it was included with purchase, but they managed to get different inflation in all 4 tires. I can't imagine how tight they must've torqued the wheel nuts. I'll see when springtime is here and I have to put back the summer tires.

And I consider CT to be even WORSE. So, that says it all. I wouldn't even let them install a new wiper blade.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35625 posts
9690 upvotes
Ottawa
I would say that Canadian Tire is probably the largest auto repair organization/chain/shops in the Country. I agree that they get a fair number of complaints.
Having said that, the fact they get thousands of customers a day, I would say thet they have far far many happy customers than they have complaints.
This forum is especuially biased against Canadian Tire for whatever reason (normally unsubstantiated and driven by hearsay) and regulars here seemt ot ehink the whole world thinks CT stinks. That is very far from the truth.
Does CT hire labourers (non-licensed folks) to do some of the work? Certainly, because not all automotive work requires a licensed mechanic. Do they make mistakes? Certainly ...as do all other shops. Are they exceptionally bad? Not at all, by percentage, they most likely have equal or better a better satisfaction rate than other shops and dealerships.
Does Canadian Tire deserve the disrespect it gets on this forum? Not really. It is fostered and perpetuated by people like the one who stared this poll. One track people who often really have no experince and are unqualified (except for doing their own oil change once). Not all, as therre are some very smart, qualified and knowledgable folks here.
By saying that CT is no good, nasty, useless or "Criminal Tire, Terrible service, lousy incompetent mechanics" calling all mechanical employees of CT those names is malicious and uncalled for.
Perspective, everything has to be put in perspective. There are bad mechanics and there are good mechanics and there are great mechanics not all of them are in one place. As I said in the begnning, CT does more business in one day than anyone else and there will be problems but, such is the burden of a large corporation.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)