Automotive

Will you bring your car to CT for service?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2013 12:50 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Considering the price, trustworthiness, quality, customer service, will you bring you

• Total votes: 108. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

8%
No

92%
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2194 posts
727 upvotes
Etobicoke
I used to get my tyres at CT and they would always throw free oil changes with the tyre package. So I took my car to CT for an oil change since it was Sunday and they were open. The mechanic broke the dip stick inside dip. Their reason for doing this, it was already broken (I had just checked the oil in the morning and it was fine). It's not that they are a bad shop. They have the latest equipment but they pay their mechanics minimum wage. That should be reason enough to run.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1776 posts
1493 upvotes
Lake Simcoe
durrsak wrote: I used to get my tyres at CT and they would always throw free oil changes with the tyre package. So I took my car to CT for an oil change since it was Sunday and they were open. The mechanic broke the dip stick inside dip. Their reason for doing this, it was already broken (I had just checked the oil in the morning and it was fine). It's not that they are a bad shop. They have the latest equipment but they pay their mechanics minimum wage. That should be reason enough to run.
What facts/knowledge do you have to substantiate that statement?
Feb 9, 2011
883 posts
130 upvotes
Montr
iEyeCaptain wrote: Absolutely not.

I would only trust Robinson Automotive. The parts they use and the labour they employ are best. Best.
Seriously?? this place is as bad if not worst then canadian tire also they have former CT employes go figure
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1314 upvotes
Sauga
From a consumer perspective, RFDers can bash CT (or any other shop) all they want. It's pointless, though. From a business perspective, as long as they are busy with customers, that's all that matters. Some shops target high end vehicles, some target novice owners that don't know much about cars, some target owners that are busy from 9-5 and want extended hours, some target expert owners that want value, etc.. There are lots of cars out there and lots of different shops to service them.

As consumers, our time is better spent educating our peers rather than bashing businesses.

Next time I change my oil or swap tires/service my brakes, I'm going to invite my friends to come and watch and ask questions if they want.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
793 upvotes
North York
The CT in North York on Sheppard + Lesile (by Ikea) appears to be professionally run. The guys in there do not look like hacks/teenagers, they look experienced. It looks and is operated very organized, much a like a dealer shop.

They've taken care of my simple stuff, oil changes, transmission oil change, muffler repair, battery replacement, new brakes (excellent job!), safety cert, emmission test very effectively. They're location is handy, and they completed the jobs on time as stated. Cost has always been very reasonable.

Although, they do try to get you to change your cabin air filter for $65. (I just buy the $15 filter while waiting, and replace it myself at home.)

On the other hand, the CT in North York at Yonge + Steeles, looks much less professionally run. Looks more like an auto body shop ... lots of OLD cars, some falling apart.

I know the CT at Lesile and Sheppard was newly built (last 10 years), and maybe because of this, the service area was designed properly (new standards), and be able to be run effectively.

I'm going back for oil change any day. Nice, they are so close and can drop in for the service.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
793 upvotes
North York
Although, I sometimes do question these CT bashing threads. Are they started by people whom work for COSTCO/Walmart as part of smear marketing program?
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1776 posts
1493 upvotes
Lake Simcoe
durrsak wrote: http://www.canadiantiresucks.net/employ ... ience.html plenty of stories in this forum from people who worked there.
Interesting forum. Thanks.

However, I still must disagree with your statement. I would agree that they pay their apprentices/lube kids minimum wage, but not the licensed techs. I think that's what you meant to say, wasn't it?
Nov 29, 2011
877 posts
92 upvotes
Markham
I've seen some pretty sketchy people working at CT. This trashy dude from my old high school dropped out and started working there so you can imagine the quality of service.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5935 posts
1048 upvotes
Calgary
Rehan wrote: From a consumer perspective, RFDers can bash CT (or any other shop) all they want.
FYI, it is not just RFDers, it is also unanimous consent in all Canadian car forums.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
although i personal have bad experience with CT you don't see me bashing them. They are catered to a certain market segment of clientele. As long as those customers are happy and they are still in business end of the day is what really matters. Where do you get a garage that you can put the amount of repairs on a monthly no interest payment plan by using their options credit card? some people find value that they can spread the repair costs with no interest.
Selling a new never installed or used Edelbrock turbo kit #1500, but lowballers and buyers offering ridiculous 500 bucks for it.http://forums.redflagdeals.com/new-edel ... s-1151134/So now it is installed and in my civic :)
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote: The CT in North York on Sheppard + Lesile (by Ikea) appears to be professionally run. They guys in there do not look like hacks/teenagers, they look experienced. It looks and is operated very organized, much a like a dealer shop.

They've taken care of my simple stuff, oil changes, transmission oil change, muffler repair, battery replacement, new brakes (excellent job!), safety cert, emmission test very effectively. They're location is handy, and they completed the jobs on time as stated. Cost has always been very reasonable.

Although, they do try to get you to change your cabin air filter for $65. (I just buy the $15 filter while waiting, and replace it myself at home.)

On the other hand, the CT in North York at Yonge + Steeles, looks much less professionally run. Looks more like an auto body shop ... lots of OLD cars, some falling apart.

I know the CT at Lesile and Sheppard was newly built (last 10 years), and maybe because of this, the service area was designed properly (new standards), and be able to be run effectively.

I'm going back for oil change any day. Nice, they are so close and can drop in for the service.
That's the location I saw the NSX parked at.

Makes sense that they would do a good job there.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
231 upvotes
WHO wrote: Never.

I let Walmart (in the US) mount and install my winter tires, since it was included with purchase, but they managed to get different inflation in all 4 tires. I can't imagine how tight they must've torqued the wheel nuts. I'll see when springtime is here and I have to put back the summer tires.

And I consider CT to be even WORSE. So, that says it all. I wouldn't even let them install a new wiper blade.
Well, Walmart has no incentive to find things wrong with your car. Crappy tire does.
love2save wrote: What facts/knowledge do you have to substantiate that statement?
When I worked at CT the techs got $25/hr.
Nov 15, 2005
898 posts
48 upvotes
GTA
I would never go back to CT again, sure there might be a diamond in the ruff but I'll take my chanced elsewhere even dealerships.

Many years ago I figure it was safe enough to trust CT to swap my summer rubber for new CT winter rubbers on the same rims. My summer tires had about 70% tread remaining and I told them I would be back for all the tires when they are done. Fortunately for me I had enough sense to request that in writing, good thing because when I went back for them they had mysteriously disappeared. Since it was in writing they had no choice but pay me for my missing tires.

I suppose it could of been an honest mistake, but how can you trust a shop that loses things? At least I got good cash settlement for my worn tires, about $400.

One of my in laws reported getting his engine checked at CT and end up having to get a new transmission. And shortly after that his engine gave up, another couple thousands down the tube. Foolish guy keeps going back, should of gotten a second opinion. Some people are just lazy, unaware with too much money and CT is conveniently located...
Jan 8, 2011
675 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
I worked at CT (in the warehouse) when I was younger, one of the best techs I've met to date worked in the shop there, he was diligent, professional, could fix just about anything on any car. He did lots of work for me on the side from his home garage, head gaskets, valve jobs, transmission...

In any case it comes down to the tech, I find it hard to believe CT uniformly hires poor techs across the board.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1059 posts
144 upvotes
Brampton
I'd rather bring it to the dealership, same price with oem parts, and certified techs.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
koffey wrote: Only for emissions. I walked in one day asking if they new what size torx I need to remove my calipers, they say T15. LOL. Was a T55.
LOL T15 is tiny. They were probably just messin' with you :P
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
240silvia wrote: I do not think you know what you are talking about on this front.

Further to this, I wouldn't allow someone who does plumbing or electrical work in my house without a licence (even though in some cases it is legal for them to do it.)

I won't say there are not four good shops in the entire chain though :)
I actually believe that it is you that does not know what they are talking about. Just using simple logic, you cannot say a chain of shops all across the Country falls into the same category. There are many places where CT is the only shop.
Think about it. Do you really think that a place like CT would allow an unlicensed person to sign for anything that could jeopardize the safety pf the vehicles or occupants? they would get their a$$ sued. Are they?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)