Automotive

Will you bring your car to CT for service?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2013 12:50 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Considering the price, trustworthiness, quality, customer service, will you bring you

  • Total votes: 108. You have voted on this poll.
Yes
 
9
8%
No
 
99
92%
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15130 upvotes
durrsak wrote: http://www.canadiantiresucks.net/employ ... ience.html plenty of stories in this forum from people who worked there.
Wow that forum is bad. Like a bunch of kids/uneducated people arguing amongst each other--swearing, threats of violence, etc. etc., all with terrible spelling and grammar, lol. Must be totally unmoderated. Nearly everyone posting is unregistered and a "guest", like "Guest-0124" :rolleyes:

I mean some of those stories may have some merit but the whole forum just makes you feel glad you're posting on RFD and not there!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
tutchio wrote: Seriously?? this place is as bad if not worst then canadian tire also they have former CT employes go figure
Really? You have all the insight? Or, did you read or hear something?
Get real, quit spreading someone else's opinion and grow one of your own (with fact that you can provide instead of piggybacking on other people).
Voltex wrote: I've seen some pretty sketchy people working at CT. This trashy dude from my old high school dropped out and started working there so you can imagine the quality of service.
So, a guy you didn't like works at one of the 1700 CT stores and that makes the entire chain bad?

jason9945 wrote: Well, Walmart has no incentive to find things wrong with your car. Crappy tire does.

When I worked at CT the techs got $25/hr.
Wallmart has no incentive to find things wrong with your car? Where did you get that information? A rectal pluck? They work on the same system as most other shops, including CT.

How is $25 minimum mechanics wage and why would that be a bad wage in a shop that pays flat rate (as most do?)

This thread would fit in real well with the the wonderful one durrsak suggested. An entire site of CT haters...woo hoo doesn't that sound like a great place to voice an opinion LOL.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
2chop88 wrote: those jobs are not as bad as they look, but are definately out of the scope of Canadian Tire. Timing belt jobs?? Forget it!
What's wrong with CT doing a timing belt service exactly ?

Can you elaborate ?
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I would say that Canadian Tire is probably the largest auto repair organization/chain/shops in the Country. I agree that they get a fair number of complaints.
Having said that, the fact they get thousands of customers a day, I would say thet they have far far many happy customers than they have complaints.
This forum is especuially biased against Canadian Tire for whatever reason (normally unsubstantiated and driven by hearsay) and regulars here seemt ot ehink the whole world thinks CT stinks. That is very far from the truth.
Does CT hire labourers (non-licensed folks) to do some of the work? Certainly, because not all automotive work requires a licensed mechanic. Do they make mistakes? Certainly ...as do all other shops. Are they exceptionally bad? Not at all, by percentage, they most likely have equal or better a better satisfaction rate than other shops and dealerships.
Does Canadian Tire deserve the disrespect it gets on this forum? Not really. It is fostered and perpetuated by people like the one who stared this poll. One track people who often really have no experince and are unqualified (except for doing their own oil change once). Not all, as therre are some very smart, qualified and knowledgable folks here.
By saying that CT is no good, nasty, useless or "Criminal Tire, Terrible service, lousy incompetent mechanics" calling all mechanical employees of CT those names is malicious and uncalled for.
Perspective, everything has to be put in perspective. There are bad mechanics and there are good mechanics and there are great mechanics not all of them are in one place. As I said in the begnning, CT does more business in one day than anyone else and there will be problems but, such is the burden of a large corporation.
Good post Pete_Coach......a pretty balanced and objective assessment overall IMO
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
Rehan wrote: From a consumer perspective, RFDers can bash CT (or any other shop) all they want. It's pointless, though. From a business perspective, as long as they are busy with customers, that's all that matters. Some shops target high end vehicles, some target novice owners that don't know much about cars, some target owners that are busy from 9-5 and want extended hours, some target expert owners that want value, etc.. There are lots of cars out there and lots of different shops to service them.

As consumers, our time is better spent educating our peers rather than bashing businesses.
Well said Rehan
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
packardbell wrote: They are catered to a certain market segment of clientele. As long as those customers are happy and they are still in business end of the day is what really matters. Where do you get a garage that you can put the amount of repairs on a monthly no interest payment plan by using their options credit card? some people find value that they can spread the repair costs with no interest.
I'd tend to agree.

BTW - anyone know what CTs Limited Warranty is on parts & labour for automotive repairs ?
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Banned
Aug 8, 2012
1115 posts
84 upvotes
Dallas, Texas.
Some 'smart' users are so stupid they can't multiquote.
Pete_Coach wrote: I actually believe that it is you that does not know what they are talking about. Just using simple logic, you cannot say a chain of shops all across the Country falls into the same category. There are many places where CT is the only shop.
Think about it. Do you really think that a place like CT would allow an unlicensed person to sign for anything that could jeopardize the safety pf the vehicles or occupants? they would get their a$$ sued. Are they?
Pete I did say you can probably find four good stores :)

The poll and customer experience speak for itself, only one guy has said he had a good expiernce while the rest saying some sort of horror story. If they were SO good as you seem to be claiming it should be the opposite :) .
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
793 upvotes
North York
240silvia wrote: Some 'smart' users are so stupid they can't multiquote.



Pete I did say you can probably find four good stores :)

The poll and customer experience speak for itself, only one guy has said he had a good expiernce while the rest saying some sort of horror story. If they were SO good as you seem to be claiming it should be the opposite :) .
You must consider OB theory. Organizational Behaviour. In this case GROUP THINK.

Participants tend to shy away and do not express their true feelings, if they think the group is leaning in one direction. (In the extreme case, you get perfectly normal people, whom would never damage anything, participating in riots.)

As Pete_Coach was trying to say, CT's horror stories are exagerated. It is not 90% as RFD is trying to say. Lets try to reason this out ....

(Money) Financials don't lie. CT is EXTREMELY profitable. Their auto service departments are full most of the times. (Drivers have lots of options otherwise, dealer, Mr. Lube, local mechanics, etc.)

If CT was so bad, that every customer had a negative experience, how can they stay in business? CT doesn't need the service department to make money, their stores make plenty of money. It must reason, that their auto service departments also contribute significantly.

I don't know of any customer service based business that is successful, if 90% of the customers had a negative experience. Are we saying most CT auto service customers love bad service, and being ripped off?

The fact that CT continues to service cars and makes money decade after decade would indicate they're auto service centres are satisfying a majority of their customer's expectations in terms of quality of work performed and prices charged.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 23, 2008
12640 posts
1556 upvotes
Brampton
durrsak wrote: http://www.canadiantiresucks.net/employ ... ience.html plenty of stories in this forum from people who worked there.
this story is unbelievable from that site:
I have a story, I will post what I have now on hands, and update once more information is available.

My mother had her oil changed in CT. All good and well. She came there to get her brakes checked - there is transmission fluid contamination in the brake cylinder. We went to an official Toyota shop, and got a quote for over 5000$ in repair. The contamination basically destroys every single rubber O-ring and seal in the breaks. We went back to CT. The Auto Dept. manager looked at some papers, and brought us a list of what they did and said that they didn't add any fluid to the brakes, and that the brakes were fine when they checked them during the oil change. We haven't brought the car to any other place since the CT service. My mother is an accountant, and doesn't even know how to open the hood, let alone pour transmission fluid in. I am getting together all out stuff, talking to consumer agencies, etc, and will so far, it looks like a lawsuit is a strong possibility.

I will update as soon as I there is any development.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote: You must consider OB theory. Organizational Behaviour. In this case GROUP THINK.

Participants tend to shy away and do not express their true feelings, if they think the group is leaning in one direction. (In the extreme case, you get perfectly normal people, whom would never damage anything, participating in riots.)

As Pete_Coach was trying to say, CT's horror stories are exagerated. It is not 90% as RFD is trying to say. Lets try to reason this out ....

(Money) Financials don't lie. CT is EXTREMELY profitable. Their auto service departments are full most of the times. (Drivers have lots of options otherwise, dealer, Mr. Lube, local mechanics, etc.)

If CT was so bad, that every customer had a negative experience, how can they stay in business? CT doesn't need the service department to make money, their stores make plenty of money. It must reason, that their auto service departments also contribute significantly.

I don't know of any customer service based business that is successful, if 90% of the customers had a negative experience. Are we saying most CT auto service customers love bad service, and being ripped off?

The fact that CT continues to service cars and makes money decade after decade would indicate they're auto service centres are satisfying a majority of their customer's expectations in terms of quality of work performed and prices charged.
+1

Another voice of reason and common sense - very refreshing !
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Banned
User avatar
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
greybrick wrote: criminal tire? Seriously, i can't think of a worse place to take your car. Terrible service, lousy incompetent mechanics, and ridiculous prices. If you're looking to get robbed, why not go to the stealership instead?
sued
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
240silvia wrote: Some 'smart' users are so stupid they can't multiquote.


Pete I did say you can probably find four good stores :

The poll and customer experience speak for itself, only one guy has said he had a good experience while the rest saying some sort of horror story. If they were SO good as you seem to be claiming it should be the opposite :) .
"smart" users are so stupid....... I have no idea what your are talking about? Are you calling me stupid? Why?
"The poll" and "consumer experience" are not even valid here nor do they mean anything. The "poll" here is responded to by unknown people who most likely don't have cars and probably not even licenses. A bunch of people who are only good at jumping on bandwagons. If they truly had any experience with CT and it was bad, they would have individual stories as opposed to always quoting someone else or perpetuating hearsay. They even go to other websites (especially started to whine about CT) and quote someone elses unsubstantiated drivel.
cheapmeister wrote: this story is unbelievable from that site:
And it must be true? Do you people actually really believe everything that is written in the web? Especially on a gripe site? The guy who wrote that has no evidence, no substance, just some mysterious person telling him something that makes no sense.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6859 posts
2654 upvotes
BC
Busybuyer888 wrote: You must consider OB theory. Organizational Behaviour. In this case GROUP THINK.
Yes, herd mentality is a strange behaviour for the human species.

Young people who jump on the bandwagon to condemn every single Cdn. Tire auto service location across this great land should reflect on the rational points made by Bb88 and PeteC.

They should also consider a little history:

- at one time, up until the 1980's, the mantra was, "the only thing you don't buy at Canadian Tire is tires". And that had a lot of validity.

- they only used to sell their own Motomaster tire line, but then a strange thing happened and suddenly they were selling the better quality major brand names

- clearly a new rallying cry was now required and what better than the auto service dept. which up to then had been relatively unscathed

Are Canadian Tire Auto centres any better or worse than, for example, Firestone Auto Service Centres?

Hard to say as again it will depend on location.

I know the Group Think won't change, but if this is last time a Cdn. Tire thread with a Poll is started, something will have been achieved.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 10, 2011
2184 posts
722 upvotes
Etobicoke
How about you guys that are defending CT bite the bullet and take your car to CT for your next major repairs. Hahaha :lol: :lol: :razz:
If you cant trust a shop with minor repairs I believe even if their mechanics had PhD in aero engineering I would not go for anything major.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
durrsak wrote: How about you guys that are defending CT bite the bullet and take your car to CT for your next major repairs. Hahaha :lol: :lol: :razz:
If you cant trust a shop with minor repairs I believe even if their mechanics had PhD in aero engineering I would not go for anything major.
And I am sure they really miss your business. LOL
I don't know who indicates they cannot do small or large jobs besides a few people on this forum. Hardly a consensus and CT's daily business is witness to that.
There are hundreds of places out there that wish they had only a partial portion of the clients CT has. CT is in business with waiting lines and many others are going out of business....and the mechanics go to CT to get a job?
I may seem to be defending CT but in fact I only want narrow minded people to think about what they are saying and stop being lemmings. There are a few pied pipers here and, true to the story, a whole lot of lemmings.
So crap on them if you want but, they are cashing in and you are not LOL.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 29, 2005
1800 posts
182 upvotes
inb4libel
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car; oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall; torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Banned
Aug 8, 2012
1115 posts
84 upvotes
Dallas, Texas.
Pete_Coach wrote: "smart" users are so stupid....... I have no idea what your are talking about? Are you calling me stupid? Why?
"The poll" and "consumer experience" are not even valid here nor do they mean anything. The "poll" here is responded to by unknown people who most likely don't have cars and probably not even licenses. A bunch of people who are only good at jumping on bandwagons. If they truly had any experience with CT and it was bad, they would have individual stories as opposed to always quoting someone else or perpetuating hearsay. They even go to other websites (especially started to whine about CT) and quote someone elses unsubstantiated drivel.
Pete I was not talking to you when I said that, what I said after I quoted you was directed to you :) . I actually have nothing bad to say about you or your opinions, even if they differ from mine at times.

Maybe the poll does not matter but I do think the stories people tell do matter. I think that good Canadian Tire service department are few and far between. I know from personal experiences that there are a lot of clowns as technicians at GTA Canadian Tires. As I said I know people that have worked there and am told of the short cuts taken to make more money. The story I gave about them having to take a car/hire a competent mechanic to fix a car because they did not know how to and then basically billing the customer twice for the service should show their disregard for customers and their lack of knowledge.

Also saying that they make money is hardly a defence, there are a ton of stupid people out there willing to give their money to anything. Magntic health bracelets anyone?
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
durrsak wrote: How about you guys that are defending CT bite the bullet and take your car to CT for your next major repairs. Hahaha :lol: :lol: :razz:
If you cant trust a shop with minor repairs I believe even if their mechanics had PhD in aero engineering I would not go for anything major.
Again, you're assuming that this is a fact, when it may not be factual at all ........and perhaps ...it's the furthest thing from the truth.

Your insinuation that all CT stores can't be trusted with minor repairs is nothing but a unsubstantiated premise IMO - i.e akin to an erroneous and or a false assumption

In fact, it simply comes across as nothing but typical RFD ' sport bashing ' of businesses - in this case, coming in the form anti-CT rhetoric / propaganda.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
240silvia wrote: Pete I was not talking to you when I said that, what I said after I quoted you was directed to you :) . I actually have nothing bad to say about you or your opinions, even if they differ from mine at times.

Maybe the poll does not matter but I do think the stories people tell do matter. I think that good Canadian Tire service department are few and far between. I know from personal experiences that there are a lot of clowns as technicians at GTA Canadian Tires. As I said I know people that have worked there and am told of the short cuts taken to make more money. The story I gave about them having to take a car/hire a competent mechanic to fix a car because they did not know how to and then basically billing the customer twice for the service should show their disregard for customers and their lack of knowledge.

Also saying that they make money is hardly a defence, there are a ton of stupid people out there willing to give their money to anything. Magntic health bracelets anyone?
How many times have you had vehicles serviced at GTA CTs ?

Also, how recently were those services done and what type of services were they ?

Is your biggest issue with CT, their pricing ( value for $ ) ? their professional / technical competency ? Bit of both ?
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!

Top