Automotive

Will you bring your car to CT for service?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2013 12:50 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Considering the price, trustworthiness, quality, customer service, will you bring you

  • Total votes: 108. You have voted on this poll.
Yes
 
9
8%
No
 
99
92%
Sr. Member
Feb 16, 2009
836 posts
81 upvotes
705
The Canadian Tire franchise in my town is quite good. They have some of the best techs in town. The shop is always clean, and I have never had an issue with the work done there.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
hystat wrote: The Canadian Tire franchise in my town is quite good. They have some of the best techs in town. The shop is always clean, and I have never had an issue with the work done there.
How long have you been going there ?
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
Rehan wrote: When I had a Hyundai, the service advisor at Hyundai of Mississauga was like that...always went the extra mile for us. He's not there anymore, though. :( Now he's the GM/co-principal of his own dealership. Good work gets you good things. :)
Had the same experience with a Honda service adviser way back when.

Actually, we could of gone to 3 Honda dealership that were much closer to where we lived but opted to make the extra trek to the dealership of this Honda service adviser because of the fair & honest way we'd been treated and overall service experience that consistently exceeded our expectations . In fact when that person got a promotion to Service Manager at another dealership, we followed along as well.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
231 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Wallmart has no incentive to find things wrong with your car? Where did you get that information? A rectal pluck? They work on the same system as most other shops, including CT.

How is $25 minimum mechanics wage and why would that be a bad wage in a shop that pays flat rate (as most do?)
Huh? What now?

Walmart doesn't do anything but tires. How would walmart benefit from me needing a new exhaust, new brakes, or anything else? Crappy tire certainly would. The worst case is walmart might try to sell you a new tire.

Not all CT shops are equal. One near me moved to a complete appointment system they are so busy, and another one has 12 guys playing solitaire on the diagnostic computers in the shop.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
jason9945 wrote: Huh? What now?

Walmart doesn't do anything but tires. How would walmart benefit from me needing a new exhaust, new brakes, or anything else? Crappy tire certainly would. The worst case is walmart might try to sell you a new tire.

Not all CT shops are equal. One near me moved to a complete appointment system they are so busy, and another one has 12 guys playing solitaire on the diagnostic computers in the shop.
I was responding to someone who stated Wallmart or Costco was not as bad a CT. The point was that they are all the same. Be it Wallmart or CT or whomever auto center. Whether they upsell you an exhaust or a battery, it is still an upsell.
Your point was????
Sr. Member
Feb 16, 2009
836 posts
81 upvotes
705
poedua wrote: How long have you been going there ?
Since the mid 90's. I don't go there a lot, as I do most of my own work, but they did an engine swap in my old 93 Dodge Stealth around 1999 or 2000. They did a great job.
They just did the safety on my Kia I just sold. Very pro. They replaced a section of brake line that was about to rot through. I hadn't even noticed it. They did nothing else on top of the MTO cert and etest. I think it was $19 for the section of line and $60 or so for the labour. beats me getting under there.


CTC shops are independent. The only common threads between them is the parts supply chain (and even then they seem to have the freedom to get your parts anywhere if they want - no commitment to even using CTC parts, except maybe tires and batteries) and the physical attachment to the store.

And for what it's worth (nothing to me, but some people seem to care) , the former service manager that was there for 10 years or so, remembered my name every time I went in .... I never could figure out how he knew my name. I could never remember his.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
jason9945 wrote: Huh? What now?

Walmart doesn't do anything but tires. How would walmart benefit from me needing a new exhaust, new brakes, or anything else? Crappy tire certainly would. The worst case is walmart might try to sell you a new tire.

Not all CT shops are equal. One near me moved to a complete appointment system they are so busy, and another one has 12 guys playing solitaire on the diagnostic computers in the shop.
Granted if may be a gratuitous & blatant ' upsell ' in some cases, but if you assume that CT still maintains some degree of professionalism more often than not, you could also look at it from the perspective that CT feels it's their professional obligation to let customers know about anything that they feel ( in their professional opinion ) is broken, worn, overdue etc. and then leave it up to the customer to decide if they want to do the repair or not. Most professional shops adopt that sort of approach IMO.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
hystat wrote: Since the mid 90's. I don't go there a lot, as I do most of my own work, but they did an engine swap in my old 93 Dodge Stealth around 1999 or 2000. They did a great job.

They just did the safety on my Kia I just sold. Very pro. They replaced a section of brake line that was about to rot through. I hadn't even noticed it. They did nothing else on top of the MTO cert and etest. I think it was $19 for the section of line and $60 or so for the labour. beats me getting under there.


CTC shops are independent. The only common threads between them is the parts supply chain (and even then they seem to have the freedom to get your parts anywhere if they want - no commitment to even using CTC parts, except maybe tires and batteries) and the physical attachment to the store.

And for what it's worth (nothing to me, but some people seem to care) , the former service manager that was there for 10 years or so, remembered my name every time I went in .... I never could figure out how he knew my name. I could never remember his.
Great review......good to know !!!

If they can do a ' great job ' on something as robust as an engine swap...that speaks for itself !
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
231 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I was responding to someone who stated Wallmart or Costco was not as bad a CT. The point was that they are all the same. Be it Wallmart or CT or whomever auto center. Whether they upsell you an exhaust or a battery, it is still an upsell.
Your point was????
My point was that walmart and costco ONLY SELL TIRES. You're not going to have a person complaining that walmart replaced their entire exhaust, replaced their brakes, and sold them an alignment because THEY DON'T OFFER THOSE SERVICES. Therefore you're going to have a substantially larger amount of those sort of complains about Canadian Tire versus Walmart & Costco. Plus the Crappy tire mechanic may sit on his ***** for the rest of the day if he doesn't have something to work on. The walmart guy can just sweep the shop floor and make the same amount of money.

Make sense?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6870 posts
2668 upvotes
BC
If I had to choose between taking my car to either Walmart or Canadian Tire for an oil change, I'd pick Canadian Tire.

True, CT would have incentive for up-selling me on all sorts of things, while Walmart would be limited to tires, wipers, battery and engine flush - and they wouldn't care anyway.

CT might point out things I was not aware of but it's up to me make an assessment or get a second opinion.

An expensive oil service mistake could be made by either, but if it happened I would have greater confidence in getting it easily remedied at CT.

I don't know anyone who uses Walmart's Tire & Lube Express, so have to rely on anecdotal evidence of customer dissatisfaction, but plenty of those too online.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
jason9945 wrote: My point was that walmart and costco ONLY SELL TIRES. You're not going to have a person complaining that walmart replaced their entire exhaust, replaced their brakes, and sold them an alignment because THEY DON'T OFFER THOSE SERVICES. Therefore you're going to have a substantially larger amount of those sort of complains about Canadian Tire versus Walmart & Costco. Plus the Crappy tire mechanic may sit on his ***** for the rest of the day if he doesn't have something to work on. The walmart guy can just sweep the shop floor and make the same amount of money.

Make sense?
No. An upsell is an upsell, whether it is tires, wipers, battery, oil, or air-freshener or whatever other automotive product they sell. Mechanics also sweep up the shop. Walmart doesn't have any mechanics.
But hey, go ahead and let your anti CT campaign blur your vision :lol:
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1350 upvotes
jason9945 wrote: My point was that walmart and costco ONLY SELL TIRES. You're not going to have a person complaining that walmart replaced their entire exhaust, replaced their brakes, and sold them an alignment because THEY DON'T OFFER THOSE SERVICES. Therefore you're going to have a substantially larger amount of those sort of complains about Canadian Tire versus Walmart & Costco. Plus the Crappy tire mechanic may sit on his ***** for the rest of the day if he doesn't have something to work on. The walmart guy can just sweep the shop floor and make the same amount of money. Make sense?
So, it's entirely possible CT has substantially fewer ' tire only ' related complaints as a % of all the ' tire only ' work the do than either Walmart & Costco.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Newbie
Aug 21, 2013
2 posts
Consumer's Original Complaint :
Very bad customer service, wrong estimate, poor service, not skilled mechanic
My Toyota Camry 99 got overheated like suddenly which make me tow the car to Canadian Tire, 2510 Hyde Park Gate, Oakville, ON. I explain not to fix the car until you give me the full estimate because I have limited budget, the car doesn't worth more than $1500 and I don't want to spend more than $500 on it. They told that I need to pay $48.50 for Cooling & Heating Inspection then they will be able to tell me the exact estimate. I agreed & I explain that it gets overheat in two minuets and I am pretty sure something wrong on thermostat or water pump. Because when I tried to turn the heater on inside is flowing cool & it is not getting hot also radiator was not that hot. Also the radiator fan was working properly; there was no sign of the leaking water. The time was 12:15 Aug 20 2013.

At 2:10 pm I received a call from Canadian Tire was a lady; she told me that I am lucky which the problem is just thermostat. But she recommended me to change the relay on high speed for radiator fan. However she said that is optional but better to do it. I told them are you sure that going to be the problem? Since I am limited on my budget, she said I would give you $30 off cause I had membership cart and confirm the issue is the thermostat. The total of $428+Tax was supposed to be charged to fix the problem and she said they call me as soon as the car is ready to pick up.

Finally she called me at 6:10 saying that sorry we just realize your water pump is gone and there was a mistake on the diagnosed. Now I have to pay $1300 to fix this problem!!!
I am pretty sure my thermostat was okay and no one is going to change the high speed relay since there is no circulation of water (that is funny)
I said okay but I need to talk to the manager regarding the miss diagnose and I would just pay $48.50 because the diagnosis was not completed and please remove the parts which you installed and put mine back to the place. Even Mike who was their mechanic (at the first) was admit that he made a mistake, anyway the ask me to come tomorrow and see Tony who is the general manager. It tokes whole my day to deal with the issue finally take the bus to go home!!!!

On 2013-08-21 I was there at 9 am, was not easy to take the bus from my place to get there, however they said Tony didn't show up yet, I wait until 2 pm which I realized he is not coming so they asked me to come tomorrow anyway....very tired and so disappointed no choice but go bake to home and wait for another day. I waste my whole two days no car no answer and poor customer service

Finally today 2013-08-22 I was there at 9 am, but telling me Tony is sick is not coming today come back tomorrow, that was unacceptable, they were trying to making fun of me they don't care of the customer they treat me like thief, just playing with me. I said no I need to talk to someone responsible; they changed their word saying that we need to have to change the relay to realize the water pump problem; even other mechanic on the place told me you are right but you can not do anything.
However I said I want to stay here with my car until Mr. Tony shows up it is already three days I waste my time and my car has the same issue as first day and you guys ask me $480 to pay for your mistake.
They send a big guy with the tattoo was rude treat me that I need to leave the place right away which I said I spend 3 days and I have right to see Tony regarding the issue. So they called the police to kick me out. The two police were nice and polite no complain at all however i am going to take the issue to the court. It is not the money issue which is poor knowledge and they don't have enough skills as a mechanic.
Sorry For My Poor English
Regards
Bijan

Account Number: 20042400024438

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)