Home & Garden

Will you hire a license plumber to install kitchen sink, bathroom sink?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2017 4:10 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
57 posts
6 upvotes

Will you hire a license plumber to install kitchen sink, bathroom sink?

Get 3 quotes from two plumbing companies and a general contractor (he said he has done these kinda of regular plumbing work himself many times over the past 10 years). Plumbing companys' quote is x 2 more expensive, not surprisingly. Would you like to pay twice to hire a licensed plumber to install kitchen sink and bathroom sink?
50 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6741 posts
6436 upvotes
Ottawa
Depends on how handy you are. Changing a sink one for one with no alterations is deaaaaaaaad easy.
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
198 posts
119 upvotes
Nope. I'd hire Ted and be his helper/gofer boy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6279 posts
1007 upvotes
Toronto
Dont think I will for sinks - there is very little complexity. Just be there to see if workman ship is nice and clean. Save your money :)
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10
Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
57 posts
6 upvotes
Installing sink is not about connecting pipes and hoses...it also includes installing new waterlines and drain pipes to avoid interfering with the vanity drawers...I am just not confident of that...you guys are really handy...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18123 posts
9192 upvotes
DataStory wrote: Installing sink is not about connecting pipes and hoses...it also includes installing new waterlines and drain pipes to avoid interfering with the vanity drawers...I am just not confident of that...you guys are really handy...
Even though a plumber costs more, perhaps they would be worth it for the peace of mind? At the end of the day you have to be happy with your decision and if you feel hiring an actual plumber to do plumbing is the best choice, then find yourself a good plumber. Your comfort has a price too.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
Well we do have the college of trades that actually enforces licensed trades do only certain work. If we don't follow the laws of the land, what do we have?
Bottom line is the contractor cannot write you a legal invoice for plumbing work complete with warranty unless he's a plumbing contractor.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6741 posts
6436 upvotes
Ottawa
DIrty-D wrote: Well we do have the college of trades that actually enforces licensed trades do only certain work. If we don't follow the laws of the land, what do we have?
Want to point to a law that says only a licensed electrician can do electrical work or a licensed plumber can do plumbing? I believe that's true in Quebec but i have never heard of this in Ontario.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6741 posts
6436 upvotes
Ottawa
DataStory wrote: Installing sink is not about connecting pipes and hoses...it also includes installing new waterlines and drain pipes to avoid interfering with the vanity drawers...I am just not confident of that...you guys are really handy...
It's still deaaaaaaad easy - I don't consider myself handy really. Just good google skills.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1302 posts
742 upvotes
Oshawa
Think about what you just said. If any Tom, Dick or Harry could perform anyone of the compulsory trades with no training or license what's the point of the COT? How would they be able to enforce anything? Do homeowners perform minor tasks, sure, are they going to head out to a pumping station and start running potable water piping? No. As with most things in life you only get into trouble when something goes wrong and your caught.
Konowl wrote: Want to point to a law that says only a licensed electrician can do electrical work or a licensed plumber can do plumbing? I believe that's true in Quebec but i have never heard of this in Ontario.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6741 posts
6436 upvotes
Ottawa
jonnyb wrote: Think about what you just said. If any Tom, Dick or Harry could perform anyone of the compulsory trades with no training or license what's the point of the COT? How would they be able to enforce anything? Do homeowners perform minor tasks, sure, are they going to head out to a pumping station and start running potable water piping? No. As with most things in life you only get into trouble when something goes wrong and your caught.
Straw man much? Did I say anything about any tom dick and harry performing major work? We are talking about someone replacing a sink not building a skyscraper. Do I replace wall sockets myself? Yes. Do I wire high rise condominiums? No. Let's not make a mole out of an ant hill here.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2709 posts
1979 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
jonnyb wrote: Think about what you just said. If any Tom, Dick or Harry could perform anyone of the compulsory trades with no training or license what's the point of the COT? How would they be able to enforce anything? Do homeowners perform minor tasks, sure, are they going to head out to a pumping station and start running potable water piping? No. As with most things in life you only get into trouble when something goes wrong and your caught.
Do not confuse the College of Trades (Ontario only AFAIK) requirements with legislated requirements. The CoT regulates the professionals within each specific trade or those who do so for remuneration (I welcome any rebuttal to this), it does not regulate the homeowner. Just because you are an electrician and a member of the trade (Ontario) it does not mean you can do any work, unless you also satisfy the legislated requirements (ESA). The homeowner is governed by the ESA, not the CoT, same applies to other trades (Building Code). Staying away from other trades such as automotive mechanics, masons, etc.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12159 posts
7350 upvotes
Paris
Konowl wrote: Straw man much? Did I say anything about any tom dick and harry performing major work? We are talking about someone replacing a sink not building a skyscraper. Do I replace wall sockets myself? Yes. Do I wire high rise condominiums? No. Let's not make a mole out of an ant hill here.
Wall sockets are required by code to be replaced by a licensed electrician working under a licensed electrical contractor.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
5424 posts
3696 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Wall sockets are required by code to be replaced by a licensed electrician working under a licensed electrical contractor.
Or by a homeowner.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6741 posts
6436 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote: Wall sockets are required by code to be replaced by a licensed electrician working under a licensed electrical contractor.
Yeah link for that? Homeowner can do it. I can request permit do the work get it inspected and as long as it passes and is up to code I'm good. Although I don't have to pull a permit to change a wall socket lol.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12159 posts
7350 upvotes
Paris
pootza wrote: Or by a homeowner.
Still need to mess around with an inspection and permit.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
5424 posts
3696 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Still need to mess around with an inspection and permit.
No you don't .. a permit is not required when replacing a receptacle.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10706 posts
3367 upvotes
a home owner or a master electrician can pull a permit in Alberta, a journeyman cannot.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37751 posts
5482 upvotes
Winnipeg
home owner can do stuff inside their own property, but nobody in their right mind would be diy public pumping stations, there is a difference between residential and commercial
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6741 posts
6436 upvotes
Ottawa
rocking23nf wrote: a home owner or a master electrician can pull a permit in Alberta, a journeyman cannot.
Same in Ontario, as far as I understand.
divx wrote: home owner can do stuff inside their own property, but nobody in their right mind would be diy public pumping stations, there is a difference between residential and commercial
You'd think people understand the difference.