Will You Still Visit Trump's America?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2018 7:09 pm
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
MonctonMan wrote: "Enhanced Security" for flights destined to the USA. People are being advised to arrive 2 hours early. Since most Canadian flights fly over the USA, it strikes me as a bit odd they'd target flights landing in the USA, but I don't make the rules.
People have always been advised to arrive 2 hours before US bound flights. Nothing new.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... times.html
What strikes you as odd? It is for flights landing in and taking off from the US. Flying over has no consequence to US border or Homeland services .
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote: To be fair, from Canada, Los Angeles isn't exactly on the way to Korea.
It is if you're traveling on a First Class Aeroplan reward with Asiana. I've flown to LA for that reason.
Sep 27, 2010
169 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
ghuraba wrote: Thanks. I'm not too worried but I may go a bit early to give myself time. I did have a friend who had some issues recently when he went with his family. They pulled them into another room and asked questions about the reason for their trip, if they've been there before, etc. and warned that they may look through their phones. At the end there weren't any issues except they almost missed their flight.
Just an update. We did not have any issues going there and coming back. Security checks are thorough but they are pretty streamlined and can move people along pretty quick. New York was a lot of fun. I would not be too concerned. Coming back from La Guardia airport last night sucked though because the flight got delayed by 3 hours due to weather conditions.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
tk1000 wrote: The U.S. is not proceeding with a planned border adjustment tax
Not only that, but apparently they want Canadians to be able to import US$800 duty free. From trips and in person. I didn't realize Americans can buy US$800 duty free from Canadian websites (they can also do it in person, but then they'd have to pay the HST in Canada).

Not much use for things like electronics imported from China that are largely duty free, but other things like clothing still has duty. The Canadian retailer would get the Canadian duty reimbursed if they export to an other country.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/cross-bo ... -1.4226427
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
We crossed into the US just after Labour Day to meet some American friends for a lunch. Cell phones and tablets with us and no issues either way. Their president has changed but I saw no change in our friends.
This weekend we're off on the motorcycle for a few days before winter hits, into Oregon and Idaho. Dollar is improving so why not.
What's there to fear?
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
tk1000 wrote: Canadians should worry about U.S. border searches of cell phones, electronics: privacy czar
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/p ... e36293765/
"That U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers can look at mobile devices and even demand passwords under American law."......our own CSBA agents can do that as well. Why is the Privacy Czar making a big deal of the American law when ours is equally intrusive?
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
May 7, 2017
347 posts
164 upvotes
I cancelled my New Years plans in New York.. Rather go somewhere else but the dollar is looking good. hope it pars soon!@ Going to a few countries that us the dollar in future e.g. Egypt
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
Conquistador wrote: It is if you're traveling on a First Class Aeroplan reward with Asiana. I've flown to LA for that reason.
Agreed. LA and Vancouver are considered the gateway to the Pacific for passengers connecting to Asian flights.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
If things start to get more expensive in the USA because of various duties on Chinese products (steel, etc...), shopping in the USA could be less appealing. And if the Trump duties lead to inflation, the USA might raise interest rates, temporarily boosting demand for US dollars, making all trips to the USA more expensive.

On the plus side, perhaps the Trump duties will provoque US job losses, lowering demand for domestic tourism. As well, the Chinese people are known for unofficial boycotts. Fewer Chinese and American travellers in the USA could lower demand, and hopefully prices, for US hotel rooms.
Feb 16, 2005
799 posts
315 upvotes
Yup can't wait to wear my MAGA hat.
RedFlagDeals Veteran OG Godfather of Trade in Values and Selling Stacks of Dairy Milk Bars. If you know you know.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
The last time I visited the US was about 9 years ago, so I don't think it's due to Trump lol. But my sisters have booked a surprise trip for my mom to Hawaii for her 65th birthday, so the drought will be over. I just don't have any interest at all in the US (except maybe NY).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
The only things that should really affect whether you visit is the strength of CAD-USD and safety.

I visited Japan despite their government continues to semi-deny the atrocities it committed in WW2
I visited Mexico despite their lack of control over the drug trade.
Every country has good and bad things going for it - so what

America has great places to see whether washington is controlled by Dem or Rep.
I wanna go to the beautiful grand canyon area next year - I could'nt care less who's in power
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
SomeOtherDude wrote: The only things that should really affect whether you visit is the strength of CAD-USD and safety.
People can be pretty irrational about both those items. Airfare, hotel prices and even car rental prices fluctuate based on supply and demand and can be quite independent from the value of the dollar. Restaurants, local entertainment and alcohol have more stable prices. But a 15% variation on those items won't break the bank and hardly justify getting on a plane to Thailand or the Czech Republic to take advantage of the Big Mac index.

As for security, 2000 Canadians die each year in motor vehicle accidents. There are dangers staying in Canada.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13064 posts
3756 upvotes
Still avoiding USA. Too many places in the world to visit anyways. And the CAD-USD exchange sucks but what can you do. We got our Aeroplan tickets to Buenos Aires and we decided to splurge and go with Air Canada and pay their crazy fees to avoid United Airlines. Also it's a direct flight and saves us time since we can't afford delays going down to South America.

And the exchange rate sucks but we are still paying our Antarctica cruise in USD. Adds about almost $2000 since the rate went from 1.23 to 1.29. So no the exchange rate isn't changing our decision anyways.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2009
1012 posts
150 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: Still avoiding USA. Too many places in the world to visit anyways. And the CAD-USD exchange sucks but what can you do. We got our Aeroplan tickets to Buenos Aires and we decided to splurge and go with Air Canada and pay their crazy fees to avoid United Airlines. Also it's a direct flight and saves us time since we can't afford delays going down to South America.

And the exchange rate sucks but we are still paying our Antarctica cruise in USD. Adds about almost $2000 since the rate went from 1.23 to 1.29. So no the exchange rate isn't changing our decision anyways.
Yeah i'm sure that air canada is so much better than united :lol:
"Because ten billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral... it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness."
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13064 posts
3756 upvotes
TidalDreams wrote: Yeah i'm sure that air canada is so much better than united :lol:
Maybe, maybe not but at least its a direct flight so less chances of delays and not having to land in the US