Jun 24, 2019
64 posts
99 upvotes

Zwilling Four Star 8 Piece Knife Block Set For $179.95

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Williams-sonoma
I have been keeping an eye on this set and the price is better than Zwelling’s black friday sale. This set usually sells for around $250-300 when on sale. The bay also has the same set on sale today for $249 but comes with steak knives. I didnt want the steak knives so got the one from Williams-sonoma for $179.

Bit of a catch though, shipping is $20 but if you are close to a store should be able to pick up. I got mine from Yorkdale and they still had 5 in stock. Eaton center also has them in stock.
Images
  • image.jpg
19 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2726 posts
5407 upvotes
Good deal, has been maybe $20 lower at BBB using a coupon but this is still a good price.
I am not a fan of the four star handles though they feel kinda cheap to me.

Also in b4 "sEtS aRe BaD"
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2004
1426 posts
513 upvotes
North Vancouver
Great deal! I got my Four Star set almost 10 years ago and it's going strong! $135 USD back when CAD/USD was around par.

Also in b4 "Canadian Tire J.A. Henckels set costs only..." j/k
kimwoobingsu wrote: Also in b4 "sEtS aRe BaD"
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3169 posts
2044 upvotes
Langley
There's a 20% code online also...

Were you able to use it?

edit: NM the 20% off code doesn't work (MERRY). Wondering if the 15% online first time sign up code works.. Waiting for it to see if it'll apply.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
6558 posts
2429 upvotes
GTA
discoblues wrote: I bought the global knife set at the bay last week https://m.thebay.com/global-ikasu-7-pie ... 0090786790 but haven't yet opened the box.

Should I swap it for the zwilling four star set?

First World problems.
how much was the global?
[OP]
Jun 24, 2019
64 posts
99 upvotes
jellytime wrote: There's a 20% code online also...

Were you able to use it?

edit: NM the 20% off code doesn't work (MERRY). Wondering if the 15% online first time sign up code works.. Waiting for it to see if it'll apply.
The 15% online first time sign up code didnt work for me
[OP]
Jun 24, 2019
64 posts
99 upvotes
discoblues wrote: I bought the global knife set at the bay last week https://m.thebay.com/global-ikasu-7-pie ... 0090786790 but haven't yet opened the box.

Should I swap it for the zwilling four star set?

First World problems.
The global Ikasu 7 piece set was $300 at the Bay yesterday, hope you didnt pay more than that!

Zwilling vs Global debate has been going on for ever but in the end its personal preference. Global knives are lighter and stay sharper for longer but slightly harder to maintain over the years. I prefer the heavier feel of Zwilling knives.
Mar 15, 2005
688 posts
540 upvotes
porksoda wrote: how much was the global?
The global knife set came to $242 after a coupon. I was considering the zwilling at the bay because it comes with steak knives
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3169 posts
2044 upvotes
Langley
hugs29 wrote: I purchased these for 223.9o all in but also bought the more expensive hot buy from Costco global Kabuto set for 349.99 - 20 coupon 369 after tax. Which to keep?!
https://www.costco.ca/global---kabuto-7 ... 35711.html
Have you tried both of them? I cook everyday and have been using our Four Star set for five years and they're still quite sharp with regular honing. I don't mind paying more for better quality or if it's a better deal, but I find it hard to think the global set will be that much better.
Not having used the Global set, I would just save the money and go for the Four Star set, we love them and they're sharp.
Oct 12, 2013
429 posts
180 upvotes
Surrey
jellytime wrote: Have you tried both of them? I cook everyday and have been using our Four Star set for five years and they're still quite sharp with regular honing. I don't mind paying more for better quality or if it's a better deal, but I find it hard to think the global set will be that much better.
Not having used the Global set, I would just save the money and go for the Four Star set, we love them and they're sharp.

I just opened the global set , grabbed one knive and did not like the handles so I'm returning
Aug 29, 2018
303 posts
387 upvotes
This is an excellent deal. Four star is a great line, hugh quality, welll respected. And usually sets have filler knives, but this is a solid pragmatic selection.

Would buy!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1766 posts
555 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: I am not a fan of the four star handles though they feel kinda cheap to me.
It's a personal preference but I actually like four star grip much better than the others because it's softer and also I like how it weighs in my hand.
I went to linen chest and tried all the knives they had and this was the line that were the most comfortable for me.
I got it 2yrs ago through BBB at like 160 something I think and i still really like it :)
Aug 16, 2009
558 posts
450 upvotes
jellytime wrote: Have you tried both of them? I cook everyday and have been using our Four Star set for five years and they're still quite sharp with regular honing. I don't mind paying more for better quality or if it's a better deal, but I find it hard to think the global set will be that much better.
I'm not an expert but have used both these knives at home or a friends/family places.

They're actually hard to compare as they a very different knives.
The 4 Stars are heavier and thicker German style knives with bigger bolsters and chunkier handles. Great quality and great work horses.
The Global knives are more like a Japanese style knives. Lighter knives with thinner blades and smaller handles. A little more precise of a knife and you need to be little more mindful when cutting things with bones or frozen foods than with the 4 Stars.

You can't go wrong with either set. It just comes down to preferences and your style of preparing food.
Aug 29, 2018
303 posts
387 upvotes
jiffylube1024 wrote: Just remember the four star is lower end because it's not full tang with the plastic handles.
The plastic handles are excellent quality, so full tang or half tang does not matter for durability, only for balance. The center of gravity is at the bolster in the four star chef.