None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5157 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto

Wind any good?

Is Wind any good these days? The plan looks to be pretty cheap. $35 with unlimited with 2 gb. What's the catch, vs Virgin current $40 promotion?
8 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15825 posts
2424 upvotes
Good? No. Tolerable? Most days. Unless you're downtown Toronto, then it's a kick in the nuts with a frozen boot every day.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Aug 3, 2015
366 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
Wind is completely awful. My experience with them a while back as follows.
I've been with WIND in two different instances, across the span of a year with the last one being a year or two ago.
I usually don't rate companies by phone or in-store customer service, but boy! Their customer support especially phone is all indian, unless you manage to get into retentions where some are Americans.
They allow franchises, which means the store owners can do whatever they want, or hire whomever they want. This can include teenager working at high schools that ***** up your activation credit, so you spend the next six months trying to get the credit they applied, because the "experienced service rep" in the store forgot to apply it. Lmao, I'm pretty sure I still never got the credit up to when I cancelled.

Service sucks, especially if you work/study in an underground type area. Service sucks especially in the busy metropolitan areas. If you live in small cities, it is tolerable I guess.
In popular areas it is really saturated, which will lead to lower speeds.

The customer service aspect is big. There was a thread here recently, a guys phone stopped working and Wind wouldn't replace it. He sent it to Samsung, and they said it was rooted, when he clearly didn't do anything. There is a whole thread about Samsung denying repairs due to a fault that makes the phone looks like it was rooted or something, when it never was.

Wind *****ing sucks.
Jul 17, 2007
137 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Love how Wind have a booth at Vaughan Mills, and the signal at booth is zero...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33741 posts
7376 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
If you rely on your phone for work or just email. I wouldn't trust Wind.

If you need a phone about as often as you would use a pay phone, then maybe.

... naw, I still wouldn't use Wind, I'm better off looking for a pay phone, I know my call will get through
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5157 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto
OK there guess I can forget about it. Not worth saving $5 a month for that
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20437 posts
8474 upvotes
Toronto
My monthly cost with Wind is $25 and I having real doubts that I a getting good value. I totally agree with @Gee's pay phone analogy. A couple of weeks ago I tried to Google some review data on merchandise I wanted to buy from Canadian Tire. I got great signal but no data. Unfortunately there was no phone booth around and last time I checked, they don't offer data services. Seriously, I went into the neighboring Bestbuy and mooched data from one of their computers. Shaw should be totally ashamed for having done nothing since buying Wind. I am thinking that there's a conspiracy going on. Shaw will intentionally mess up the purchase so they can justify selling to one of the big 3 and pocket some serious cash.
Aug 3, 2015
366 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
boyohboy wrote: OK there guess I can forget about it. Not worth saving $5 a month for that
I really did put my faith in Wind, two separate times when I'd wanted to support the "little guy". In retrospect, I regret ever signing up.
Apr 25, 2016
52 posts
16 upvotes
Wind is not that bad for talking and texting, its the data that is brutal. Currently in West Vancouver right now, and data here is not that bad compared to Toronto.