[WIND] Data stick + 2 months of unlimited data for $99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2015 10:29 am
48 replies
Jan 16, 2011
436 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
A few years back, I've bought the 1GB/month for 12 months with Data Stick (different model) for $99.

With the coverage and signal quality back then, it's almost impossible to go pass 1GB every month. (video streaming was a joke). It was also not possible to exceed 10Mbps back then.

Has the data quality improved since '11 and '12?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3063 posts
2769 upvotes
ihacki wrote: A few years back, I've bought the 1GB/month for 12 months with Data Stick (different model) for $99.

With the coverage and signal quality back then, it's almost impossible to go pass 1GB every month. (video streaming was a joke). It was also not possible to exceed 10Mbps back then.

Slightly but don't expect too much. It really depends on where you are. Personal experience is great near home (around 8Mbps consistently). Downtown Toronto is much worse at around 1Mbps Max at 2Mbps
May 7, 2014
124 posts
76 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I am very interested in this, but how does it work after two months? Pay as you go? At what rate?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19446 posts
6588 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
ihacki wrote: A few years back, I've bought the 1GB/month for 12 months with Data Stick (different model) for $99.

I have a "free" (after better together) plan, I think the last time I did a speedtest I could get 15-20 Mbps on Wind in my area. More than sufficient if you ask me.
Sep 20, 2011
9 posts

Just tested here in Scarborough, 3.11 Mbps Download/ .14 Mbps Upload 11:22am (I used OOKLA Speedtest for Mobile f.y.i) I think we are allowed to use up to 5 Gig now before they Trottle your bandwidth use.
Oct 26, 2009
730 posts
119 upvotes
Asdf

Depends on you area. Central Canada seems to be doing ok. Looks like the rest of Canada has been entirely forgotten by Wind. Personally I can say that Edmonton only ever gets slower and slower. It was usable back when Wind first launched. Now it's normally around 0.8/0.2. Doesn't seem to matter what tower you're hooked into in the city. Whether it's south side, Sherwood park, UofA or downtown it seems to speedtest about the same.

That 20 down test seems odd. Are you sure you weren't hooked into wifi when you ran that?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19446 posts
6588 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Shamb1es wrote: Are you sure you weren't hooked into wifi when you ran that?
It was in the middle of WalMart so I'm pretty sure... that and my home connection speedtests at 200 hehe... but anyways, I just tested it again in my house which stinks for reception because it's all brick and stone which blocks everything and got 8 on Nexus 4 with only 1 or 2 bars.
Jul 3, 2002
706 posts
122 upvotes
Edmonton
Shamb1es wrote: Depends on you area. Central Canada seems to be doing ok. Looks like the rest of Canada has been entirely forgotten by Wind. Personally I can say that Edmonton only ever gets slower and slower. It was usable back when Wind first launched. Now it's normally around 0.8/0.2. Doesn't seem to matter what tower you're hooked into in the city. Whether it's south side, Sherwood park, UofA or downtown it seems to speedtest about the same.

That 20 down test seems odd. Are you sure you weren't hooked into wifi when you ran that?
It just depends where in the city you live. My house in the north gets great speeds, 5-8 down and 1-2 up, but when I start traveling downtown, I can say the data is almost impossible to use. I don't mind as I'm rarely downtown these days anyway.

You get what you pay for.
Jan 19, 2013
28 posts
13 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
BinaryJay wrote: It was in the middle of WalMart so I'm pretty sure... that and my home connection speedtests at 200 hehe... but anyways, I just tested it again in my house which stinks for reception because it's all brick and stone which blocks everything and got 8 on Nexus 4 with only 1 or 2 bars.
hi, how to connect the data stick to your nexus 4 ???? just plugin the sim card ????
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2003
1150 posts
95 upvotes
Can these be plugged into a router to be used as a home network?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
3614 posts
4154 upvotes
Toronto

Things have changed drastically, I watch Netflix on a regular basis.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)