[WIND] Data stick + 2 months of unlimited data for $99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2015 10:29 am
48 replies
Jan 16, 2011
460 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
A few years back, I've bought the 1GB/month for 12 months with Data Stick (different model) for $99.

With the coverage and signal quality back then, it's almost impossible to go pass 1GB every month. (video streaming was a joke). It was also not possible to exceed 10Mbps back then.

Has the data quality improved since '11 and '12?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3507 posts
3487 upvotes
ihacki wrote: A few years back, I've bought the 1GB/month for 12 months with Data Stick (different model) for $99.

With the coverage and signal quality back then, it's almost impossible to go pass 1GB every month. (video streaming was a joke). It was also not possible to exceed 10Mbps back then.

Slightly but don't expect too much. It really depends on where you are. Personal experience is great near home (around 8Mbps consistently). Downtown Toronto is much worse at around 1Mbps Max at 2Mbps
May 7, 2014
124 posts
76 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I am very interested in this, but how does it work after two months? Pay as you go? At what rate?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20084 posts
8004 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
ihacki wrote: A few years back, I've bought the 1GB/month for 12 months with Data Stick (different model) for $99.

I have a "free" (after better together) plan, I think the last time I did a speedtest I could get 15-20 Mbps on Wind in my area. More than sufficient if you ask me.
Sep 20, 2011
11 posts

Just tested here in Scarborough, 3.11 Mbps Download/ .14 Mbps Upload 11:22am (I used OOKLA Speedtest for Mobile f.y.i) I think we are allowed to use up to 5 Gig now before they Trottle your bandwidth use.
Oct 26, 2009
730 posts
119 upvotes
Asdf

Depends on you area. Central Canada seems to be doing ok. Looks like the rest of Canada has been entirely forgotten by Wind. Personally I can say that Edmonton only ever gets slower and slower. It was usable back when Wind first launched. Now it's normally around 0.8/0.2. Doesn't seem to matter what tower you're hooked into in the city. Whether it's south side, Sherwood park, UofA or downtown it seems to speedtest about the same.

That 20 down test seems odd. Are you sure you weren't hooked into wifi when you ran that?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20084 posts
8004 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Shamb1es wrote: Are you sure you weren't hooked into wifi when you ran that?
It was in the middle of WalMart so I'm pretty sure... that and my home connection speedtests at 200 hehe... but anyways, I just tested it again in my house which stinks for reception because it's all brick and stone which blocks everything and got 8 on Nexus 4 with only 1 or 2 bars.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5100 posts
7204 upvotes
Vancouver
strongishrope wrote: I am very interested in this, but how does it work after two months? Pay as you go? At what rate?
http://www.windmobile.ca/plans-and-devi ... rnet-plans
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Jul 3, 2002
714 posts
123 upvotes
Edmonton
Shamb1es wrote: Depends on you area. Central Canada seems to be doing ok. Looks like the rest of Canada has been entirely forgotten by Wind. Personally I can say that Edmonton only ever gets slower and slower. It was usable back when Wind first launched. Now it's normally around 0.8/0.2. Doesn't seem to matter what tower you're hooked into in the city. Whether it's south side, Sherwood park, UofA or downtown it seems to speedtest about the same.

That 20 down test seems odd. Are you sure you weren't hooked into wifi when you ran that?
It just depends where in the city you live. My house in the north gets great speeds, 5-8 down and 1-2 up, but when I start traveling downtown, I can say the data is almost impossible to use. I don't mind as I'm rarely downtown these days anyway.

You get what you pay for.
Jan 19, 2013
28 posts
13 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
BinaryJay wrote: It was in the middle of WalMart so I'm pretty sure... that and my home connection speedtests at 200 hehe... but anyways, I just tested it again in my house which stinks for reception because it's all brick and stone which blocks everything and got 8 on Nexus 4 with only 1 or 2 bars.
hi, how to connect the data stick to your nexus 4 ???? just plugin the sim card ????
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2003
1179 posts
114 upvotes
Can these be plugged into a router to be used as a home network?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto

Things have changed drastically, I watch Netflix on a regular basis.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28410 posts
13975 upvotes
Fire Man wrote: Can these be plugged into a router to be used as a home network?
Some 3rd party routers may support it, but I wouldn't bet on most USB ports on routers supporting it.
There's a few specialty routers that will support it (eg Cradlepoint).
Nov 24, 2008
909 posts
231 upvotes
Calgary
You can do it with DD-WRT. But then you might as well get the hotspot for a bit more.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20084 posts
8004 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Fire Man wrote: Can these be plugged into a router to be used as a home network?
I know I can do it with pfSense and even set it up as an automatic failover WAN that will only get used if the regular WAN interface goes down... but if you're asking this question chances are you are not going to be building a pfSense router any time soon.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
5310 posts
484 upvotes
Vancouver
They slow you down to dialup speeds if you go over 5gb a month right?
Banned
Oct 18, 2014
121 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Interested in this.what is the expire date?