Cell Phones

Locked: Wind Mobile changes name to Freedom Mobile *OFFICIAL THREAD*

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2019 5:35 pm
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
aqnd wrote: I doubt they would create two separate virtual networks, like rogers does with chatr.
They're just not established enough to f- with people like rogers can.
They received a lot of backlash over the grandfathered plans and LTE, I seriously doubt they'd want to alienate those that barely stuck with them after that.
But, I guess we'll find out what shaw is really like at heart in the coming years.

I would predict it will be the more traditional "no frills" brand, like koodo, vs the "all in" brand, like telus.
Shaw mobile would give the big subsidies (for big $/month of course) and freedom would give the same as they do today, bare bones and basic.
They would probably drop any tab bonuses, and maybe the tab system entirely if they want to entice people to the shaw brand with subsidies and make freedom service-only plans (like public)
It would suck if freedom dropped the tab system because that's how I plan to upgrade phones in May of next year. If Shaw mobile is more expensive I don't think I'd switch to them, I don't even know what plans they would offer.
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
BrandonA586 wrote: It would suck if freedom dropped the tab system because that's how I plan to upgrade phones in May of next year. If Shaw mobile is more expensive I don't think I'd switch to them, I don't even know what plans they would offer.
Freedom Mobile's tab system is smokescreen because tab rate promo's are not reflected in device balance.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Freedom Mobile's tab system is smokescreen because tab rate promo's are not reflected in device balance.
I think each person gets a different balance based on their credit check, I saw on reddit that someone got a $5000 mytab balance
Currently a Freedom Mobile customer on the Everywhere50 plan with the $10 3gb data addon with free canada and usa roaming.
Oct 17, 2016
330 posts
82 upvotes
aqnd wrote: I doubt they would create two separate virtual networks, like rogers does with chatr.
They're just not established enough to f- with people like rogers can.
They received a lot of backlash over the grandfathered plans and LTE, I seriously doubt they'd want to alienate those that barely stuck with them after that.
But, I guess we'll find out what shaw is really like at heart in the coming years.

I would predict it will be the more traditional "no frills" brand, like koodo, vs the "all in" brand, like telus.
Shaw mobile would give the big subsidies (for big $/month of course) and freedom would give the same as they do today, bare bones and basic.
They would probably drop any tab bonuses, and maybe the tab system entirely if they want to entice people to the shaw brand with subsidies and make freedom service-only plans (like public)
Chatr is a joke, they give u service in fewer cities than Freedom does on their network. Chatr limits your coverage based on the plan u have, if u go out of the "zones" then you will either have no service if Rogers isnt available which happens in a lot of areas in western canada or you will pay roaming charges which are going up to 40 cents for calls texts and data at the end of October
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
BrandonA586 wrote: I think each person gets a different balance based on their credit check, I saw on reddit that someone got a $5000 mytab balance
What you're saying is just total credit limit available to you.

I believe he means the actually balance you owe if you leave early is not credited bonus dollars until the end of the 24 months(?)
Can't confirm, haven't seen anyone's promo balance.

I assumed it would have been credited in equal payments, but could be wrong

E.g. (made up numbers for sake of math)
$600 phone that had a $360 tab bonus would be $240 balance due by you
Two scenarios:
A) $10/mo you pay, they credit $25 to the account each month
B) $10/mo you pay, they credit $360 at the end of 24m

If you left in month 1:
A) pay $575 remainder
B) you'd pay the full $600
At month 23:
A) you'd only have to pay $25
B) $370
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9931 posts
1371 upvotes
aqnd wrote: What you're saying is just total credit limit available to you.

I believe he means the actually balance you owe if you leave early is not credited bonus dollars until the end of the 24 months(?)
Can't confirm, haven't seen anyone's promo balance.

I assumed it would have been credited in equal payments, but could be wrong

E.g. (made up numbers for sake of math)
$600 phone that had a $360 tab bonus would be $240 balance due by you
Two scenarios:
A) $10/mo you pay, they credit $25 to the account each month
B) $10/mo you pay, they credit $360 at the end of 24m

If you left in month 1:
A) pay $575 remainder
B) you'd pay the full $600
At month 23:
A) you'd only have to pay $25
B) $370
I did a hardware upgrade with 1 month to go. This was on my hardware upgrade bill.
Old Mytab™ balance owing $12.5
New Mytab™ balance owing $250

It is deducted per month.

It USED to run differently where 10% of your bill goes towards the tab and anything outstanding is wiped after 24months. But that was illegal and now its just total/24 deducted per month.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
2139 posts
2551 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
taro-chan wrote: It USED to run differently where 10% of your bill goes towards the tab and anything outstanding is wiped after 24months. But that was illegal and now its just total/24 deducted per month.
IIRC it wasn't "illegal" - the CRTC introduced new regulations and providers had to adjust their policies accordingly.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
taro-chan wrote: I did a hardware upgrade with 1 month to go. This was on my hardware upgrade bill.
Old Mytab™ balance owing $12.5
New Mytab™ balance owing $250

It is deducted per month.

It USED to run differently where 10% of your bill goes towards the tab and anything outstanding is wiped after 24months. But that was illegal and now its just total/24 deducted per month.
I know how a standard one works. Did you have a "my tab bonus"? How was it calculated?
e.g. on S8 it says $200 mytab bonus.
https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-and- ... -galaxy-s8

Say you do $25/month boost ($600 owing over 24 months)
$1000 phone
-200 out of pocket
=$800 balance
Are they crediting the $200 bonus on opening the tab (lump sum), partial each month, or after closing it?
i.e. if you cancel tomorrow, would you pay $600 or $800?
I would imagine $800 as they're not going to give $200 for free without any commitment, are they?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9931 posts
1371 upvotes
That's taken off at the end.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Yeah, so titanium is correct, and it's my scenario B above.

But it shouldn't really be a surprise that they're not giving free money to people who cancel immediately. They're not Koodo (90 days is better than 2 years I suppose)
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
If I move cities, can I keep my number (including area code) and use it in the new city without accruing roaming charges?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
heymikey wrote: If I move cities, can I keep my number (including area code) and use it in the new city without accruing roaming charges?
Yes, I know someone using a 647 in Vancouver.
If you're on an old local calling plan, might change things. But all current plans are canada-wide calling AFAIK.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
aqnd wrote: Yes, I know someone using a 647 in Vancouver.
If you're on an old local calling plan, might change things. But all current plans are canada-wide calling AFAIK.
There are still province-wide calling plans (Chatr & Public, plus the occasional Virgin/Fido/Koodo, though they are more likely to offer local calling only).

Reasons for keeping your number out of province are the following:
  • you're on an SK/MB/QC plan
  • You're on a super awesome grandfathered plan
  • You're keeping an AB number, meaning lower sales tax
Else port out your existing number to VoIP (1st choice Fongo, 2nd choice VoIP.MS), and activate a new local number.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
titaniumtux wrote: There are still province-wide calling plans (Chatr & Public, plus the occasional Virgin/Fido/Koodo, though they are more likely to offer local calling only).

Reasons for keeping your number out of province are the following:
  • you're on an SK/MB/QC plan
  • You're on a super awesome grandfathered plan
  • You're keeping an AB number, meaning lower sales tax
Else port out your existing number to VoIP (1st choice Fongo, 2nd choice VoIP.MS), and activate a new local number.
The question was posted in a wind thread, none of that applies to him :)
Unless his plan is an old grandfathered local plan, he will not pay anything more than now as long as it's a home network.
Other people in that area calling him, who don't have Canada wide calling, is a whole other story.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
aqnd wrote: The question was posted in a wind thread, none of that applies to him :)
Unless his plan is an old grandfathered local plan, he will not pay anything more than now as long as it's a home network.
Other people in that area calling him, who don't have Canada wide calling, is a whole other story.
Only the SK/MB/QC plans don't apply for Freewind. Aside that I agree with you.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
tebore wrote: Well at least the bear as mascot is cute?

I never get why companies change their whole brand for no reason.
Freedom Mobile has officially retired its mascot, Freddy the Freedom Bear.
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/12/21/free ... edom-bear/
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22158 posts
10323 upvotes
Toronto
I liked Freddy! Bye, bye good fella.
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10991 posts
13540 upvotes
Probably out there somewhere on RFD, but there are a thousand FM threads.

"We’re always hard at work to consistently improve the quality of your service. We’ve introduced Extended Range LTE, so you can get improved indoor call reception, in even more places. We’ve also introduced Voice over LTE (VoLTE), so that you can talk on the fast LTE Network with improved voice clarity while still browsing at blazing speeds! Plus, we’re continuing to expand to more places across Canada! All these enhancements have led us to make another change, one that’s Big to us - We’ve changed the network names from Home to Freedom and Away to Nationwide!

The new Freedom and Nationwide network names will not impact how your phone works and there will be no changes to your rate plan, just a new name to represent how we’re evolving our network to serve you better."
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
MrMom wrote: Probably out there somewhere on RFD, but there are a thousand FM threads.

"We’re always hard at work to consistently improve the quality of your service. We’ve introduced Extended Range LTE, so you can get improved indoor call reception, in even more places. We’ve also introduced Voice over LTE (VoLTE), so that you can talk on the fast LTE Network with improved voice clarity while still browsing at blazing speeds! Plus, we’re continuing to expand to more places across Canada! All these enhancements have led us to make another change, one that’s Big to us - We’ve changed the network names from Home to Freedom and Away to Nationwide!

The new Freedom and Nationwide network names will not impact how your phone works and there will be no changes to your rate plan, just a new name to represent how we’re evolving our network to serve you better."
True that. Might as well lock this one, since the topic is its rebranding that happened a good while back.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)