• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2010 11:15 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 7, 2008
15 posts
1 upvote
sexyj wrote: Like the other guy said, you clearly didn't do enough research on this. What you shouldve done is bought the cheapest phone then use the sim that came with it to do testing at the places you are gonna use the phone at. Then return the phone once you have checked the coverage.
Unfortunately I must agree with you that I didn't do enough research and didn't ask enough questions, lesson learned.

On the other hand I must say that the way they do thing seems to me a little up-side-down. Apparently it is ok with them to buy a phone use it for testing and get the refund for the phone and the SIM cards when you reached your decision, however it is not ok to refund just SIM card. Considering that the returned phone they should sell as used after it has been returned back to store, it seems to me like they are loosing twice in this case - on the SIM card and on the phone. That's just me, wind apparently thinks differently.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2008
15 posts
1 upvote
bylo wrote: Even so this doesn't preclude the seller from accepting returns, giving refunds, etc. as a goodwill gesture. It doesn't cost much time to fire a polite message to Wind, express your disappointment, and make a request for refund. If they do, fine. If they don't, consider it the price of an education.
I will definitely express my disappointment with them. I'm still waiting for their response to my request for help through their web page. I keep you updated.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4113 upvotes
Ottawa
robsonr wrote: I was looking for cheap mobile phone service for my daughter. She wanted unlimited text messaging and just few talk minutes.

I checked the coverage map and I realized that area of our house and my daughter’s school is not covered and should be covered by the end of 2010 (sounds like now, but it is still not covered).

Next day I learned from my daughter that she is in “away zone” in the school and all the way from the school to our house.
If you disagree with me in terms that I shouldn’t be eligible for refund on the SIM card, please feel free to post your comments.

You wanted comments? I don't disagree witht he SIM card, and I might be dating myself, but why on earth does your daughter need to be sending text messages AT SCHOOL? Let alone not being old enough to pay her own way and get her own phone? I seriously question your parenting skills. "All my friends have one" excuse instills very low morals in your child.

I can see the use of a phone for emergency reasons...but in an emergency the last thing you want to do is text someone hoping they're near their mobile phone.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
987 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
Cas77 wrote: You wanted comments? I don't disagree witht he SIM card, and I might be dating myself, but why on earth does your daughter need to be sending text messages AT SCHOOL? Let alone not being old enough to pay her own way and get her own phone? I seriously question your parenting skills. "All my friends have one" excuse instills very low morals in your child.

I can see the use of a phone for emergency reasons...but in an emergency the last thing you want to do is text someone hoping they're near their mobile phone.

Is that really appropriate? You dont know how his daughter was planning on using the phone, perhaps it was only for at breaks or perhaps the intention was to be able to call the parents in case of emergency. I saw no cause there to question their parenting.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4113 upvotes
Ottawa
EmperorOfCanada wrote: Is that really appropriate? You dont know how his daughter was planning on using the phone, perhaps it was only for at breaks or perhaps the intention was to be able to call the parents in case of emergency. I saw no cause there to question their parenting.

Yes it is appropriate. OP asked for comments.

EDIT: This was in OP's post: "She wanted unlimited text messaging and just few talk minutes."

Breaks or not, the person in question is a CHILD. Children require social interaction, there's no need for a child to text another child in the school (let alone a classroom)...that is absolutely absurd.

Maybe if parents started asking themselves these questions before giving in to these ridiculous propositions out of guilt, our future generations would not have the attention span of a goldfish.

I have done volunteer work at local schools and have seen firsthand the end results of these proposterous actions by parents. Can you say the same? What percentage of parents have actually set foot in a school to fully understand the implications of their ludicrous actions?

Now I'm not condoning a child with good behavior and doing well in school not have a mobile phone to use evenings and weekends. There's a time and place for everything, a mobile phone in a school during school hours is absolutely the dumbest idea a parent can have.

If you want a child to have a cell phone for emergency, a $25 annual prepaid with 100 minutes on a big-3 carrier (read available pretty much everywhere) is more than enough.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8385 posts
1507 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: Yes it is appropriate. OP asked for comments.
Yeah, comments relevent to the discussion, which is on the subject of Wind's customer services and policies, not on the OP's parenting skills. :facepalm:

Please keep things on-topic or take your high-horse elsewhere.

Thanks.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
987 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan

EDIT: This was in OP's post: "She wanted unlimited text messaging and just few talk minutes."

Breaks or not, the person in question is a CHILD. Children require social interaction, there's no need for a child to text another child in the school (let alone a classroom)...that is absolutely absurd.

Maybe if parents started asking themselves these questions before giving in to these ridiculous propositions out of guilt, our future generations would not have the attention span of a goldfish.

I have done volunteer work at local schools and have seen firsthand the end results of these proposterous actions by parents. Can you say the same? What percentage of parents have actually set foot in a school to fully understand the implications of their ludicrous actions?

Now I'm not condoning a child with good behavior and doing well in school not have a mobile phone to use evenings and weekends. There's a time and place for everything, a mobile phone in a school during school hours is absolutely the dumbest idea a parent can have.

If you want a child to have a cell phone for emergency, a $25 annual prepaid with 100 minutes on a big-3 carrier (read available pretty much everywhere) is more than enough.

My apologies, yes it was stated that the child wanted mostly texting, with minimal minutes, what I meant was it was 'You do not know how his daughter was planning on using the phone 'while in school'.

Questioning someones parenting skills is pretty offensive (to that parent) and while your opinion that the phone will likely be used during class or during school hours could very likely be correct, it is simply an opinion and not necessarily fact, however likely.

That is all I have to say on the matter, if you feel the personal attack is justified, I cant stop you.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
[OP]
Nov 7, 2008
15 posts
1 upvote

Let me explain here. The whole new direction of this conversation started because of many assumptions, which I never wrote anywhere in this thread.
Let me clarify stuff for those who wants to know.
1) This is her cell phone and she pay for it fully. I just helped her to organize it as a parent.
2) There was no remark in sense that she is going to use the phone only in the school and therefore all related assumptions were wrong. From our perspective as parents, we wanted her to have a cell phone, so if she decides to stay after school to do some school activity, she has means of letting us know. If there is a change of plans, again same. And could go on, but I guess you got the point.
3) She wants mostly unlimited text messages in her plan, because that is the way her friends communicate with her.

I hope that this cleared the confusion and there will not be anymore attacks on my parenting skills. I must say thank you to EmperorOfCanada and Winkle who pointed out that those are not the comments I asked you for neither comments I appreciated.
Apr 21, 2009
949 posts
109 upvotes
Winnipeg
robsonr wrote: Let me explain here. The whole new direction of this conversation started because of many assumptions, which I never wrote anywhere in this thread.
Let me clarify stuff for those who wants to know.
1) This is her cell phone and she pay for it fully. I just helped her to organize it as a parent.
2) There was no remark in sense that she is going to use the phone only in the school and therefore all related assumptions were wrong. From our perspective as parents, we wanted her to have a cell phone, so if she decides to stay after school to do some school activity, she has means of letting us know. If there is a change of plans, again same. And could go on, but I guess you got the point.
3) She wants mostly unlimited text messages in her plan, because that is the way her friends communicate with her.

I hope that this cleared the confusion and there will not be anymore attacks on my parenting skills. I must say thank you to EmperorOfCanada and Winkle who pointed out that those are not the comments I asked you for neither comments I appreciated.

LOL, thanks for the nice entertainment.

Now, for me to earn some more infraction points...

HOGWASH
as for #1: Definition of chiid is still 12 and under right?
as for #2: The school office has no phone anymore? Lunch area has no phone anymore? (and they stay open after school is over); the friend where they go to have no phone? and these funny inventions called public phones are extinct as well
as for #3: she has a phone capable of receiving SMS already since her friends communicate that way?

I'm a parent as well and if they (my kids that is) would come like that.... they would have a lot of explaining and or reasoning to do as to why it is so important; until then they can keep 2 quarters with them for a phone call ;)
--- <3

:cry: Personally, I am just scared of Idiocracy turning from a funny movie into a prophecy. :confused:
[OP]
Nov 7, 2008
15 posts
1 upvote
pompoco wrote: LOL, thanks for the nice entertainment.

Now, for me to earn some more infraction points...

HOGWASH
as for #1: Definition of chiid is still 12 and under right?
as for #2: The school office has no phone anymore? Lunch area has no phone anymore? (and they stay open after school is over); the friend where they go to have no phone? and these funny inventions called public phones are extinct as well
as for #3: she has a phone capable of receiving SMS already since her friends communicate that way?

I'm a parent as well and if they (my kids that is) would come like that.... they would have a lot of explaining and or reasoning to do as to why it is so important; until then they can keep 2 quarters with them for a phone call ;)
Yes you did earn your points, no worries.

#1 - wrong, she is 14 and half
#2 - you sound like giving me an advice whether my daughter should or should not have a cell phone. I appreciate it as your personal view, however I never ask for advice on that. Your comment is clearly off topic.
#3 - sounds to me like there is some sort of disconnect or misunderstanding. Again, because I cannot see direct relationship to my question in the thread, I just skip commenting on it.

Once more time ... I posted my question to this forum to get your view on my position with SIM card refund. I wanted to know whether people agree or disagree with me that I should be eligible for refund and I also appreciate any comments in a sense of getting such refund. Responses suggesting that my daughter shouldn't have a cell phone, she shouldn't use it in school, or she shouldn't text are off topics. Considering that this a a forum "Shopping discussion", such discussion should be directed to some other forum discussing parenting concerns elsewhere.

On the other hand I would like to thank you to those who responded to my question with valuable information and tips. Thank you.
Mar 3, 2008
602 posts
261 upvotes
I would try selling the sim card on Craigslist.

As for the comments on your parenting skills, people always seem to be super opinionated behind a computer screen. You bought your kid a cell phone and she takes it to school, so what? I did that in high school and so did my sisters. And guess what? We didn't use it in class!

Good luck op.
Think much, speak little, write less.