Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor

Window Candles

Ok, I have been searching for LED candles for a while, and I have been coming up with nothing that seem reasonably quality. It seems that finding candle-light coloured candles (so, something like 2,000-2,200K) is impossible, or I am the absolute worst at Google. They don't even need to be LED, but if they're not, they need to be like 1/8w incandescent bulbs ... probably a lot less.

Here's what I want: I want 6 stick candles for the 6 windows in the front of my home; 3 are in one room, 3 are in another room. I'll probably end up turning them on with automation of some sort, so I don't need or want a remote control. Ideally, I can give them power (smart plug, likely), and they turn on. I'd prefer they need to be plugged into the wall, but I'm ok with batteries if I don't have to replace them all the time (lets say they last at least a few months running from dusk-dawn ... so 8-ish hours/day ... I think that's actually a pretty tall order). I suppose if they're battery powered, it would be nice if they turned on when it gets dark, or something that makes them come on automatically.

They don't need to be all that bright; something down in the 1 lumen area would be sufficient, as long as the "filament" is visible. Ideally the "stick" part of the candle would be 3-6" long, probably white, and the "candle" (bulb) would be clear.

When I was a kid, everyone had these around Xmas, but I haven't seen them in years ... at least, not the warm incandescent ones ... I'm finding those ones with an amber LED inside, and a frosted plastic bulb; tacky. The reason I want them is I love the aesthetic; something about it just makes me feel comfortable, and the front of my home lends well to this.

I have a feeling my problem is that I'm not using the right terms. Also, it seems a lot of people misusing the word incandescent; I'm pretty commonly finding people thinking that it means a candle (so, lots of bespoke candle type sites), rather that something that glows when heated. I hope someone might have some insight.
Last edited by ChubChub on Feb 19th, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
4 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
Other than being candles, they don't really meet the requirements I laid out. The ones you linked are common and found pretty easily. If you see them from outside, they look REALLY tacky; the bulbs are WAY too big, and the colour is wrong.

Thanks for the search though!

Actually, here's a loose idea of what I'm looking for:
http://www.lightinthebox.com/e12-0-5w-3 ... rm=1.2.1.1
Those are 220v, so I can't use them, but the image shows the light being in the maybe 2,300k range (which isn't horrible .. though I think some photoshopping happened), and they're 20lm.

So, next best thing are these:
https://www.amazon.com/ARCHIPELAGO-Fila ... 2400k&th=1
Bit spendy though, at $66USD for 12 bulbs (and I only need 6), but 2,400k, and they're dimmable.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6972 posts
1714 upvotes
Might have to find the old style ones at yard sales. I buy a lot of vintage Christmas decorations at estate/yard sales. Hope you find them, I know what it's like to search for just the exact perfect thing.

I've been looking for a plastic (blowmold) Mrs. Claus for years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
bonterra wrote: Might have to find the old style ones at yard sales. I buy a lot of vintage Christmas decorations at estate/yard sales. Hope you find them, I know what it's like to search for just the exact perfect thing.

I've been looking for a plastic (blowmold) Mrs. Claus for years.
It really did seem like it would be something easy to find; apparently not. I've been looking for a reason to get the GF to go to Frankenmuth, MI; maybe this is reason enough :). I'll probably ave to sell it a bit more than "we need to see if they maybe have some fake candles that meet my pointlessly stringent requirements", considering it's 2hrs / direction to get there ;).