• Aug 12th, 2021 9:31 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 23, 2006
134 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto

Window Capping

Can anyone recommend a person who can come cap a wood window with vinyl siding?

Currently the top half of my house is a mix of vinyl siding and brick, but I hav one window above the garage that is surrounded by wood which is starting to rot. I just want to get a close of enough colour of vinyl to cap it and match the rest of the extrior.

I tried a few people on kijiji, either they wont bother because its a small job, just one window, or people are not responding.

I figure maybe someone on the forum can recommend someone.

Thanks
Images
  • Inkedhouse_LI.jpg
Last edited by TASP1978 on Aug 12th, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
TASP1978 wrote: ...but I hav one window above the garage that is surrounded by wood which is starting to rot. I just want to get a close of enough colour of vinyl to cap it and match the rest of the extrior.
I would not recommend capping it. Capping it just hides the problem.
The wood will continue to rot (and worst because moisture is now trapped inside) and eventually lead to mold issue.
Just replace the wood framed window with a vinyl window....will probably cost you $500-1000.
Do it right the first time and you only have to pay once.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2006
134 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
BDSL wrote: I would not recommend capping it. Capping it just hides the problem.
The wood will continue to rot (and worst because moisture is now trapped inside) and eventually lead to mold issue.
Just replace the wood framed window with a vinyl window....will probably cost you $500-1000.
Do it right the first time and you only have to pay once.
hmm ok. I was just thinking to cap it because techincally that window is a "fake" window. The second floor of the house does not extend over the garage. For whatever reason, the builder, Mattamy decided to put a "fake" window above the garage more for esthetics, but its more of a pain to maintain. When I replaced my windows 5 yrs back, the window company wouldnt even bother replacing that window since its not a usuable space.

Thanks for your suggestion!
Feb 28, 2021
239 posts
204 upvotes
TASP1978 wrote: hmm ok. I was just thinking to cap it because techincally that window is a "fake" window. The second floor of the house does not extend over the garage. For whatever reason, the builder, Mattamy decided to put a "fake" window above the garage more for esthetics, but its more of a pain to maintain. When I replaced my windows 5 yrs back, the window company wouldnt even bother replacing that window since its not a usuable space.

Thanks for your suggestion!
If it’s just fake, depending on finances, I’d just remove the whole thing and fix the roof so it’s all roof instead. I hate things like these dormers as it’s something to maintain with no purpose.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9957 posts
4239 upvotes
Vaughan
thebluegoat wrote: If it’s just fake, depending on finances, I’d just remove the whole thing and fix the roof so it’s all roof instead. I hate things like these dormers as it’s something to maintain with no purpose.
Routine maintenance for sure. However, it balances the look appeal. Without it, looks naked.🤣
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2540 posts
2489 upvotes
Ottawa
teoconca wrote: Routine maintenance for sure. However, it balances the look appeal. Without it, looks naked.🤣
I think he meant taking out the dormer entirely, not just the fake window. I don't see pointless dormers above garages in my neighbourhood.

But, you'd need to re-shingle part of what looks like a newly shingled roof, so worry about that in 15-20 years when you start looking at reshingling...
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7194 posts
2228 upvotes
0 downvotes
I second to get rid of that dormer completely and re-shingle the roof with regular shingles
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Feb 28, 2021
239 posts
204 upvotes
Dynatos wrote: I think he meant taking out the dormer entirely, not just the fake window. I don't see pointless dormers above garages in my neighbourhood.

But, you'd need to re-shingle part of what looks like a newly shingled roof, so worry about that in 15-20 years when you start looking at reshingling...
That is what I meant thank you.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11944 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
TASP1978 wrote: Can anyone recommend a person who can come cap a wood window with vinyl siding?

Currently the top half of my house is a mix of vinyl siding and brick, but I hav one window above the garage that is surrounded by wood which is starting to rot. I just want to get a close of enough colour of vinyl to cap it and match the rest of the extrior.

I tried a few people on kijiji, either they wont bother because its a small job, just one window, or people are not responding.

I figure maybe someone on the forum can recommend someone.

Thanks
Ideally what needs to be done here is the rotten wood taken off, new wood put on THEN capped. You need to find a handyman with an aluminum brake, or be willing to pay him to rent one. Its a half days work to pick up the brake, the aluminum, and come by so I’m guessing at least $500? Probably more actually.

Alternatively if you can find a neighbour doing siding those guys have a brake and could do it cheap. Problem with a handyman is aluminum without an account is around $250/roll.

try some siding companies. No window company will touch this.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2006
134 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: Ideally what needs to be done here is the rotten wood taken off, new wood put on THEN capped. You need to find a handyman with an aluminum brake, or be willing to pay him to rent one. Its a half days work to pick up the brake, the aluminum, and come by so I’m guessing at least $500? Probably more actually.

Alternatively if you can find a neighbour doing siding those guys have a brake and could do it cheap. Problem with a handyman is aluminum without an account is around $250/roll.

try some siding companies. No window company will touch this.
ok. Great. Thanks!!!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11944 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
TASP1978 wrote: ok. Great. Thanks!!!
If you were my neighbour and I didnt have to travel for this, I could steal a break for a Sunday and I have access to just the aluminum I need plus the wood and half of my day, I would still charge very close to $500 cash. Aluminum is pricey, caulking is $12/tube for us and this is a 2 tube job, plus the ladder and pain in the ass of it.

(To be 100% clear I am not offering to drive to Toronto to do this).

Find a family friend who works for a siding place and would do this for you on a Sunday.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2006
134 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: If you were my neighbour and I didnt have to travel for this, I could steal a break for a Sunday and I have access to just the aluminum I need plus the wood and half of my day, I would still charge very close to $500 cash. Aluminum is pricey, caulking is $12/tube for us and this is a 2 tube job, plus the ladder and pain in the ass of it.

(To be 100% clear I am not offering to drive to Toronto to do this).

Find a family friend who works for a siding place and would do this for you on a Sunday.
LOL. I appreciate that you would attempt to do it If I were closer!!

Thanks again for your great advice!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2067 posts
2263 upvotes
Toronto
Only reason for the dormer is aesthetics, some people love the way they add to a house. I do know Mike Holmes dislikes dormers on his show, sees it as a place for water migration to happen or critters to make their way in over time. Might be best just to get it removed and re-shingle the area rather than tie good money up on repair with potential issues down the line. Of course if you love the look then that is always an option should you wish to go that way.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1516 posts
1041 upvotes
Longueuil
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Only reason for the dormer is aesthetics, some people love the way they add to a house. I do know Mike Holmes dislikes dormers on his show, sees it as a place for water migration to happen or critters to make their way in over time. Might be best just to get it removed and re-shingle the area rather than tie good money up on repair with potential issues down the line. Of course if you love the look then that is always an option should you wish to go that way.
Yes I don't remember which show it was but in one of them Mike took the whole thing down and re-shingled (it was leaking, he was right to do it IMO).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8031 posts
9006 upvotes
Montréal
teoconca wrote: Routine maintenance for sure. However, it balances the look appeal. Without it, looks naked.🤣
It balances the look, and, above this, removing it may be prohibited by the city...