• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2020 11:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 2, 2013
668 posts
180 upvotes
Aurora

Window defogging

I know that moisture between two panes of a sealed window means that the seal is gone and the windows need replacing. I'm wondering if there is a temporary solution to clear up the moisture within the two panes that doesn't involve drilling into the glass or drilling into the side of the seal.
Has anyone here tried to use a heat gun or hair dryer with success to remove the internal moisture? I know that there will likely still be staining but I'm just looking for a simple solution to clear some moisture up for now.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9943 posts
5234 upvotes
Paris
lehmanr wrote: I know that moisture between two panes of a sealed window means that the seal is gone and the windows need replacing. I'm wondering if there is a temporary solution to clear up the moisture within the two panes that doesn't involve drilling into the glass or drilling into the side of the seal.
Has anyone here tried to use a heat gun or hair dryer with success to remove the internal moisture? I know that there will likely still be staining but I'm just looking for a simple solution to clear some moisture up for now.
New glass is cheap and easily DIYable once the world starts up again. I can walk you through it over the Internet.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16463 posts
9261 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
That's something I need to do as well. The problem with mine however is that the window frames were built out of fiberglass over 20 years ago so I need to figure out how the frame comes apart... I need to replace a sliding patio door unit as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9943 posts
5234 upvotes
Paris
craftsman wrote: That's something I need to do as well. The problem with mine however is that the window frames were built out of fiberglass over 20 years ago so I need to figure out how the frame comes apart... I need to replace a sliding patio door unit as well.
Sliding patio doors are rarely worth replacing the glass as it’s tempered, expensive and a real son of a $&*( to do. Best price that one both ways.

@WindowGuyLarry is a fibreglass window guy and can tell you how they probably come apart. I think it’s just stops like with vinyl but I don’t know.
Sr. Member
Feb 7, 2008
889 posts
328 upvotes
Okanagan
Have same issue. I was thinking to replace just the glass since my wooden windows/frames are in very good shape.
I can remove trim and old glass. Do you know what to put when replacing glass? Some kind of glaze/silicon/putty before putting trim back?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9943 posts
5234 upvotes
Paris
verby wrote: Have same issue. I was thinking to replace just the glass since my wooden windows/frames are in very good shape.
I can remove trim and old glass. Do you know what to put when replacing glass? Some kind of glaze/silicon/putty before putting trim back?
Yes, depending on the window some kind of glazing thing. For modern windows, it’s glazing tape.

Top