Home & Garden

Window Installers Insist on Whole House Changeover?

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2015 1:36 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1835 posts
468 upvotes

Window Installers Insist on Whole House Changeover?

I have two windows that have likely lost all their R-values as they have steam and moisture between the sealed paines - they're about 15years old. The rooms that these windows are in were extremely cold this winter

Both a neighbour and a window installer I called said that its not likely I'll be able to find someone to come and replace just two windows but that Id have better luck if I have to redo most of the windows in my house.

Why is this? Are there any options to have these windows changed? I don't think I'm handy enough to do this myself
8 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16798 posts
2464 upvotes
My guess is the time and effort involved - window installers are busy enough with full house change overs they probably cannot be bothered with such a small job.

Perhaps try Home Depot or calling a local handy man instead.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
741 upvotes
No reason why Sears or HD wouldn't do it...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7598 posts
3382 upvotes
Call a few more installers.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10147 posts
990 upvotes
Toronto
yeah call homedepot to just replace the just your two windows and the other windows you can place plastic outside the windows before the winter to block any air leaks .
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
The companies that won't replace just the two windows just does not want or need the work. Call around, companies will come and change only one window if the client wants that.
As for the rooms being extremely cold, the windows should not be the cause of that alone. You probably have other problems as well.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13155 posts
4266 upvotes
GTA
I had one window replaced a couple of years ago at a cost of about a grand.

Perhaps springtime is their busiest time and they can't fit you in.
Banned
Jan 16, 2015
869 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Depends on your siding and finish, what will be disturbed. You can spend a lot of time and money flashing and sealing the edges under the siding to keep the water out or pull the old one out, foam it in and paint over the edges. Windows are easy to stall, it's finished and sealing that takes time with retro fit.

I don't see why it should cost more to replace 1 or more windows?