• Jul 7th, 2020 6:06 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1479 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto

Window limiting device stuck

Hey all, I'm trying to remove a window limiting device that stops it from opening beyond a certain length.

I didn't install it so I don't know what screw was fastened into the vinyl. It looks like a stripped hex head to me, but I just want to make sure I didn't overlook anything to remove it? Just wanted to ask before I find a method for removing stripped screws. Thanks!

7 replies
Nov 6, 2014
980 posts
1620 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Looks like a rivet. If so, that would need to be drilled out.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2318 posts
1545 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Is this a rental? If so do not do that, it is there for a reason and should other tenants see what you have done they may very well complain to the landlord or City Bylaws on Building compliance.
“Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
18409 posts
15936 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
rcmpvet wrote: Is this a rental? If so do not do that, it is there for a reason and should other tenants see what you have done they may very well complain to the landlord or City Bylaws on Building compliance.
This

It’s often to code (Since the 1990s) cuz of the incidents of kids falling out of windows to their death

No one more famous than Eric Clapton’s Son Conor

https://apnews.com/b8f92979f389bfe3421c68fc2d35966b

Doing so therefore could be against local Bylaws / Laws
In the same way removing a Smoke Detector would be
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
423 upvotes
I’d say it’s a rivet
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1479 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the responses. This is not a rental and I see some other units have removed them. What would be the best method to drill this out?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
423 upvotes
blahraptors wrote: Thanks for the responses. This is not a rental and I see some other units have removed them. What would be the best method to drill this out?
Yup with a drill bit slightly larger then hole in the middle. Then use hammer and small chisel to knock top off.
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1441 posts
249 upvotes
Grimsby
blahraptors wrote: Thanks for the responses. This is not a rental and I see some other units have removed them. What would be the best method to drill this out?
Surely a question to one or two of those neighbours would give you the answer?