• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2021 12:03 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes

Window Missing Something?

I purchased a pre-construction home and I have noticed something odd with one of the windows. There is a gap within the window frame. Is there something missing? Like some sort of window accessory?

16 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35549 posts
21609 upvotes
Center of Universe
Missing window trim.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Missing window trim.
Thanks for the response. Does the window trim insert into the grooves?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35549 posts
21609 upvotes
Center of Universe
NateTO3 wrote: Thanks for the response. Does the window trim insert into the grooves?
Looks like a basement window, in which you can add window trim inserts or caulk all around.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Looks like a basement window, in which you can add window trim inserts or caulk all around.
It is actually in the bedroom on the second floor. The builder said the perimeter of the window is like this to reduce vibrational transmission of noise as it is close to the railway tracks. But to me it looks incomplete. I think it is missing the window trim inserts as you mentioned. Is that the proper name for it? Where can one purchase these?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35549 posts
21609 upvotes
Center of Universe
NateTO3 wrote: It is actually in the bedroom on the second floor. The builder said the perimeter of the window is like this to reduce vibrational transmission of noise as it is close to the railway tracks. But to me it looks incomplete. I think it is missing the window trim inserts as you mentioned. Is that the proper name for it? Where can one purchase these?
Check out the below video.

Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3235 posts
2198 upvotes
Toronto
Depending on the window construction and installation technique, the window jamb extensions would cover a gap like that. But - it's hard to tell without a full picture of the window including the trim around it.

The jambs are the boards extending perpindicular to the window out to the same plane as the drywall. Essentially the flat surface in your photo you could put a drink on and continues around the window.

Then the casement trim is the 'picture frame' around the window covering the edge of the jambs and overlapping the drywall. There is a small 'reveal' of the jamb edge showing which is a design feature and allows for slight differences in squareness between the casement trim and jambs.

If someone framed in the rough opening a bit too big, the window jambs wouldn't cover enough of the window itself to hide those expansion gaps.

Simple fix - you could use a 3/4" quarter-round against the window to cover those gaps.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Depending on the window construction and installation technique, the window jamb extensions would cover a gap like that. But - it's hard to tell without a full picture of the window including the trim around it.

The jambs are the boards extending perpindicular to the window out to the same plane as the drywall. Essentially the flat surface in your photo you could put a drink on and continues around the window.

Then the casement trim is the 'picture frame' around the window covering the edge of the jambs and overlapping the drywall. There is a small 'reveal' of the jamb edge showing which is a design feature and allows for slight differences in squareness between the casement trim and jambs.

If someone framed in the rough opening a bit too big, the window jambs wouldn't cover enough of the window itself to hide those expansion gaps.

Simple fix - you could use a 3/4" quarter-round against the window to cover those gaps.
Some additional photos:
https://ibb.co/BTmZ6YP
https://ibb.co/XbBGkzt
https://ibb.co/j3j8fVY

To me it just looks unfinished. It needs either trim or caulking in my eyes.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1490 posts
638 upvotes
Your additional photos give a lot more context and looks like they could've trimmed it closer to the frame and not left those minor gaps. Here's a picture of the finish of my windows that I got installed in Sept 2020.

PXL_20201017_001123264.jpg
[OP]
Mar 25, 2013
257 posts
46 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: Your additional photos give a lot more context and looks like they could've trimmed it closer to the frame and not left those minor gaps. Here's a picture of the finish of my windows that I got installed in Sept 2020.

PXL_20201017_001123264.jpg
Very nice, I notice you have some sort of white trim around the window edges? Is that right?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1490 posts
638 upvotes
I believe that's part of the window frame. It's not an add-on.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14763 posts
4257 upvotes
Montréal
Silly question, but how do the other windows look like? If they are all the same, maybe take a pic and ask your neighbor?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Jul 7, 2005
989 posts
150 upvotes
Recessed window, poor finishing. Ugly by its fine.
Mar 9, 2019
148 posts
73 upvotes
thats the finished product nothing is missing from the photo you posted
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9974 posts
5252 upvotes
Paris
What you are seeing is called the accessory slot. Its used on the inside for a piece of u trim for jamb extensions, and the outside for brickmold. I happened to have some in my work bag and just took a picture. It goes into the slot and has a u-channel for accepting the interior jamb material. The large piece that extends beside the u is intended to be attached to the window with screws or staples where you cant see it near where the foam around the window is. This slot should not be visible inside or out, but is commonly left visible as brickmold and jamb extension u channel costs money (pennies, but still money) so builders leave it off.

100% they didnt foam behind your jamb extensions, and the windows dont form a very good seal as the foam is only behind the 3-1/4” frame of the window, but NOT behind the jamb extensions.
Images
  • B9666C2F-B14F-41D2-82F0-1A74438E6C04.jpeg
Last edited by Jerico on Jan 8th, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9974 posts
5252 upvotes
Paris
Some additional context
Images
  • C8D36F05-9C90-4A11-958B-BA7405E8F159.jpeg
  • DB7EBC35-7D0F-4B6F-A851-A8FE13F739BB.jpeg
  • 7A65325D-C6E8-46E3-82B5-4847B63F9207.jpeg
  • 3999C811-4C16-43DE-B193-227F1A298E60.jpeg