Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1741 posts
1161 upvotes
Toronto

Window Question - missing trim?

This is probably a long shot but hopefully someone knows the answer. I recently found a leak on a first floor ceiling right below a set of second floor windows. Upon inspection, I noticed there's a missing piece of "trim" between two of the windows. See below photos:

Trim is present on left side window (red arrow)
window trim.jpg

Trim is missing on right side window (red arrow)
window trim missing.jpg

Does anyone know if this trim piece is purely cosmetic or does it actually prevent water ingress?
If this is the source of the leak, where do I purchase a replacement trim piece?

Any help is appreciated!
5 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1741 posts
1161 upvotes
Toronto
After more googling, it seems these things are called "mullion covers" or "mull trim"?
Last edited by VertigoM on Dec 13th, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2829 posts
1295 upvotes
Mississauga
With the way the caulking is set it does not look like the window had it when installed.

My Casement vinyl windows is designed slightly different. Maybe search by window brand because that piece might not be a universal fit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1741 posts
1161 upvotes
Toronto
bubuski wrote: With the way the caulking is set it does not look like the window had it when installed.

My Casement vinyl windows is designed slightly different. Maybe search by window brand because that piece might not be a universal fit.
Good catch. I guess this was left off originally. Do you think it might be a water entry point?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3684 posts
2640 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
I believe it is cosmetic. That said, it looks wet in the window with the trim attached.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9929 posts
5223 upvotes
Paris
It is super unlikely the trim piece on the outside used for combining windows would allow water to leak in between to the point of a leak, but stranger things have happened. The trim is fairly universal, but the colour of your windows is likely not. You would need an exact colour from the manufacturer.

Also, those windows look like a mess, not sure why based on the pictures.