• Apr 13th, 2020 3:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes

Windows 10 never ceases to amaze me

My enter button doesn't work.
Except it does outside of the search in the start menu.

I miss Windows XP. Beyond that also 7.
150 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13268 posts
2494 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Yeah, XP was the best. Everything after that won't fit on a CD :D . Why does added security always end up making software megabytes bigger?
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10147 posts
2127 upvotes
Victoria
I don't mind windows 10, but I customize it to look/behave more like 7. My biggest issue with windows 10 is that it moves my icons around due to which one of my screens refreshes first, always making a mess of them on the 2nd screen (when they're nicely organized on the main screen). Luckily it's a common enough issue someone wrote a program to save/restore icon positions.

In regards to your issue. Did you try using a different start menu? I use Classic Start Menu to make the start menu how I like it.

I suppose that's the thing about Windows 10. It might be annoying, but like firefox, you can tweak it the way you like it.
Last edited by zod on Aug 21st, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4516 upvotes
Alberta
rabbit wrote: Yeah, XP was the best. Everything after that won't fit on a CD :D . Why does added security always end up making software megabytes bigger?
People still burn CD's?
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
jackrabbit000 wrote: People still burn CD's?
I do once in a while.
I can have more access to blank CDs/DVDs than USB drives in my office to burn copies of rescue disks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8337 posts
2104 upvotes
Toronto
Join a forum like tenforums.com and use the huge Windows community to assist you. I had an issue on a friend's computer last week which required some registry editing and I had help from community members in UK, Turkey and US to get it resolved.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3127 posts
605 upvotes
Ottawa
Speaking of XP, is there a particularly good way of installing it on a PC these days?

I would expect that at this point someone would have put together the ultimate fully-patched distribution (or at least as patched as XP can get), all neatly-tuned and everything, and moreover easily audited so as to be obviously clear from malware. Alas, last time I checked I could only find a couple of different unofficial "Service Pack 4" packages.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27781 posts
13379 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Yeah, XP was the best. Everything after that won't fit on a CD :D . Why does added security always end up making software megabytes bigger?
I more wish that I could run XP but actually updated like Microsoft is planning with Windows 10.
zod wrote: I won't mind windows 10, but I customize it to look/behave more like 7. My biggest issue with windows 10 is that it moves my icons around due to which one of my screens refreshes first, always making a mess of them on the 2nd screen (when they're nicely organized on the main screen). Luckily it's a common enough issue someone wrote a program to save/restore icon positions.
My favorite right now is that every time I use my Vive, all my stuff on my taskbar gets rearranged so I can't find anything.
In regards to your issue. Did you try using a different start menu? I use Classic Start Menu to make the start menu how I like it.
It somehow fixed itself. I'm not sure how.
But it's random crap like this that makes me hate this OS.
A week or two ago I had to literally Google how to shutdown the OS. I could have probably opened up command line or opened up task manager, but that's a lot more work than "Ctrl-Esc, Up, Enter, Enter"

I'm used to using the (default at the time since it was a fresh install) start menu but apparently you can't actually navigate to the shutdown side.
I miss "linear" menus where everything is accessible. This is fixable with 3rd party programs, but that shouldn't have to be a thing.
Side note: Apparently Alt-F4 works on the desktop. This is arguably quicker than "Ctrl-Esc, Up, Enter, Enter" but I spent more time finding that out than just shutting down in a logical way that worked for the last literally 25 years.
I suppose that's the thing about Windows 10. It might be annoying, but like firefox, you can tweak it the way you like it.
Yeah... I spend literally hours tweaking systems. XP was like 15 minutes.
7 was maybe an hour.
10 is multiple hours, especially if you're running SAC. LTSC gets rid of most things but it's still at least an hour or two.
I've scripted some of it, but it's still a pain in the ass because of the number of 3rd party programs I have to install just to get it right.
Jimbobs wrote: Join a forum like tenforums.com and use the huge Windows community to assist you. I had an issue on a friend's computer last week which required some registry editing and I had help from community members in UK, Turkey and US to get it resolved.
I have most of the stuff I need to do to a new install scripted now, but there's still a few things I have to do by hand.
I have it mostly covered, but it's random junk like my original post that confuse me, especially when it only happens sporadically.
Jorpho wrote: Speaking of XP, is there a particularly good way of installing it on a PC these days?

I would expect that at this point someone would have put together the ultimate fully-patched distribution (or at least as patched as XP can get), all neatly-tuned and everything, and moreover easily audited so as to be obviously clear from malware. Alas, last time I checked I could only find a couple of different unofficial "Service Pack 4" packages.
Even fully patched it's still a risk.
POSReady 2009 is about as "good" as you're going to get, but even that was EOL.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13268 posts
2494 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
jackrabbit000 wrote: People still burn CD's?
Nope because non-obsolete OSes won't fit on CDs anymore. I thought I made that clear in my original post.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4300 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
I miss Windows 7, with Windows 10 i find myself having to do extra clicks just to accomplish a task and its annoying as an admin.

PC settings was a dumb rewrite of the control panel, everything like 30 clicks what control panel would take me 5 to do. Microsoft needs to get their shit together and have at least 1 year worth of bug fixes instead of new features that just keeps breaking stuff. SMDH
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4829 posts
4891 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm still using Win7 on some of my computers, and I do prefer it to Win10.

But you have to realize that Microsoft is a for-profit company responsible for delivering income to the shareholders. If the company keeps sinking money into free updates of its flagship Windows OS for years while new sales drop off, the shareholders get restless and start telling the company it's time for a new OS major version where all the big users will have to pay to update.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10147 posts
2127 upvotes
Victoria
Zero1 wrote: I miss Windows 7, with Windows 10 i find myself having to do extra clicks just to accomplish a task and its annoying as an admin.

PC settings was a dumb rewrite of the control panel, everything like 30 clicks what control panel would take me 5 to do. Microsoft needs to get their shit together and have at least 1 year worth of bug fixes instead of new features that just keeps breaking stuff. SMDH
That's part of my biggest gripe. Because I tweak windows 10 to be more like win7, the bi-annual major updates break a lot of those tweaks. I have to spend time re-tweaking it, and wait to install the update because I like to use a program called Aeroglass (and it usually takes the author a while after a major update, to update the program to deal with the updates MS made in the update).

It'd be nice if they could reduce the major updates, and roll out more patches. Pretty much the old way of rolling out monthly updates, and then doing a service pack from time to time to roll all the updates into a newer version kind of thing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2954 upvotes
I like win 10. In many ways run smoother than Win7. I really wish that multi-gpu using intel integrated with a dedicated card materialized. They got that working on a demo but nobody made an effort after that.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2794 posts
944 upvotes
Windsor
Jorpho wrote: Speaking of XP, is there a particularly good way of installing it on a PC these days?

You'll need to buy an older PC, so you will be able to install drivers, but other than that, just download the newest slipstreamed ISO. You could make an ISO yourself, with any updates you want (if you're worried), but it takes a bit of effort. As for it being "neatly-tuned"; that's unrealistic, as there have been enormous leaps in the meat-and-potatoes of the Windows OS, so you'll never get networking / I/O / graphics (amongst other things) working anywhere near as well as with vanilla Win10.

You might have some luck with some VM software, and XP might install in there even on newer hardware. I know I was able to install XP on my Ryzen 1st Gen system, (in a Hyper-V VM), but the driver issues made the OS work poorly (essentially, no accelerated chipset drivers, and no accelerated videocard drivers). Might be better with a newer-gen Intel system, but I doubt it.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Mar 7, 2011
88 posts
10 upvotes
Surrey
Zero1 wrote: I miss Windows 7, with Windows 10 i find myself having to do extra clicks just to accomplish a task and its annoying as an admin.

Yea it's super annoying. It's so bad I always launch the classic Control Panel manually by pressing Win key + R and typing appwiz.cpl
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4300 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
sloppybeef wrote: Yea it's super annoying. It's so bad I always launch the classic Control Panel manually by pressing Win key + R and typing appwiz.cpl
Too many characters, I just type control and it opens up control panel. I also hate that when I plug in another drive, i have to take ownership of it in order to browse and retrieve the damn files I need. Like who in their right mind this was even remotely a good idea? Microsoft has become so obsessed with saving money and making it, windows 10 shares the same damn code as server OS...WHY THE HELL DO I NEED XBOX GAMING SERVICES ON A SERVER MICROSOFT??? GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER!!

Windows 10 sucks! Plain and simple!
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Aug 20, 2009
8453 posts
3453 upvotes
I'm actually fairly happy with it these days but I still get that bug where the Start Button does nothing sometimes. I don't really use the Start menu itself, I use it as a text launcher. Start->type first few letters of program you want -> enter *bam*. Unfortunately their silly attempt to tie parts of Windows into their store app ecosystem have left explorer.exe with several outstanding bugs like this. Killing and restarting explorer.exe fixes it temporarily but it always comes back eventually. This is across different machines at home, the office, etc. There doesn't seem to be a permanent solution either. This sort of stuff didn't really happen before they fired all of their internal testers and relied solely on external preview builds.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2954 upvotes
Redmask wrote: I'm actually fairly happy with it these days but I still get that bug where the Start Button does nothing sometimes. I don't really use the Start menu itself, I use it as a text launcher. Start->type first few letters of program you want -> enter *bam*. Unfortunately their silly attempt to tie parts of Windows into their store app ecosystem have left explorer.exe with several outstanding bugs like this. Killing and restarting explorer.exe fixes it temporarily but it always comes back eventually. This is across different machines at home, the office, etc. There doesn't seem to be a permanent solution either. This sort of stuff didn't really happen before they fired all of their internal testers and relied solely on external preview builds.
The start menu that stops functioning especially after a major OS upgrade I've found is due to using Comodo. An outdated version of Comodo will do that and uninstalling it will fix it.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13268 posts
2494 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
sloppybeef wrote: It's so bad I always launch the classic Control Panel manually by pressing Win key + R and typing appwiz.cpl
Zero1 wrote: Too many characters, I just type control and it opens up control panel.
I use Classic Shell / Classic Start Menu for quick access to stuff like Control Panel.

You can also create a desktop icon to appwiz.cpl, or whatever program, and assign it a hot key. That's another thing that Win10 Fed up. In 7, you can assign hot keys to any shortcut in the Start Menu.