Computers & Electronics

Windows 10 Pro key code for next to nothing?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2018 8:42 am
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3708 posts
972 upvotes
I say no harm in trying these ebay keys. Cheap enough that if it works great, if it gets deactivated later, no harm done.... just get another one :) Gotten 2 in the last 2 years, no issue with either yet.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4076 posts
988 upvotes
From what I understand is that if you purchased a copy of W8 (and then update to W10) or W10 then you are allow to transfer your key to another computer once. I recently build a Ryson system myself and was able to transfer my purchased W10 copy to it. However if you have an OEM copy that comes preinstalled with your PC. You are out of luck.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
12810 posts
2163 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
krs wrote: How would I know that what is being sold (or you say resold) from MSDN, education (Imagine), or VLSC? (I don't even know what MSDN and VLSC are)
How is that against Microsoft's terms of use?
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

People here are focussing on the software key, when they should be focussing on the software licence. You can buy and sell "keys" all you want, but it comes down to the software licence that you are buying and whether or not it is valid for the end user.

If you are a business, you can buy education licences for software, but if you use them for your business, then you are breaking the software licence = illegal.

I can buy a key to your house, but that doesn't mean I am free to come and go as I please.

PS. How do you know what you're buying? Ask them for a copy of the EULA.

PPS. If you don't care about the software licence, then get one of the cracktivations for free.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
rabbit wrote: I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

People here are focussing on the software key, when they should be focussing on the software licence. You can buy and sell "keys" all you want, but it comes down to the software licence that you are buying and whether or not it is valid for the end user.

If you are a business, you can buy education licences for software, but if you use them for your business, then you are breaking the software licence = illegal.

I can buy a key to your house, but that doesn't mean I am free to come and go as I please.

PS. How do you know what you're buying? Ask them for a copy of the EULA.

PPS. If you don't care about the software licence, then get one of the cracktivations for free.
sure i've said it before and I'll say it again:

I got one of these keys from a throw-away computer at work, gave it to the Microsoft agent with the back story, and was told it is good to use, no computer has been activated with this key before. Want to sue me? Bring it, I have the transcript saved. Am I ignorance to use this you-call-illegal? - no chance, I asked, and did my own due diligence.

And stop talking about "cracktivation for free". The fact that you even mentioned it comparing to these keys just proves that you don't know what you are talking about. By using these cracks, you leave your computer open to automatically renew the license once in a while. And by leaving your computer open, you are inviting all sort of malware virus and any other attacks into your computer.
On the other hand, activating with license key will connect you to Microsoft server to authenticate and get activated ONCE. Your computer is not open.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
514 upvotes
konsensei wrote: I had one of these keys, told the backstory of how I got it, asked Microsoft agent on the chat if the key is good and official. He/she checked and came back to tell me it was good to use and no one has ever used this key to activate.

Whatever you say! I have a transcript of such conversation with the license key. It is not ignorance of me when I had already asked and of confirmed.
It is pretty much the same thing as I bought these computers myself, and now upgrading my systems.

...laws (and licenses) can not cover all-all-all situations, so
there are always grey areas and conflicting interpretations.
(so we have crowd of lawyers)... In any case, lets work with facts:

An organization gets 1000 PC and negotiates volume license with MS.
By some law (*) every OEM PC with per-installed MS-OS must
have label with license key. Thus, an organization has VLK and
thousand of unused keys from labels.

From common sense and probably from law / license
these labels / keys are bound to given physical PCs and
are "superseded" / "suppressed"/ "nullified" by VLK activation.

If I would be a judge, I would rule that this is illegal to sell / use
such keys. But I am not... and in any case nobody here
can judge fellow RDF-er actions.

For sure, it is a fact that MS-agent explicitly allows this or that --
no problem, as I said -- laws are grey matter and open to interpretation...
As a judge, I would confirm that agent's decision is de-facto a license for you,
-- be it a mistake or not.... but I am not a judge...

(*) I heard/saw this many times but can find exact reference.
See: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
tequilla wrote: ...laws (and licenses) can not cover all-all-all situations, so
there are always grey areas and conflicting interpretations.
(so we have crowd of lawyers)... In any case, lets work with facts:

An organization gets 1000 PC and negotiates volume license with MS.
By some law (*) every OEM PC with per-installed MS-OS must
have label with license key.
Thus, an organization has VLK and
thousand of unused keys from labels.

From common sense and probably from law / license
these labels / keys are bound to given physical PCs and
are "superseded" / "suppressed"/ "nullified" by VLK activation.

If I would be a judge, I would rule that this is illegal to sell / use
such keys. But I am not... and in any case nobody here
can judge fellow RDF-er actions.

For sure, it is a fact that MS-agent explicitly allows this or that --
no problem, as I said -- laws are grey matter and open to interpretation...
As a judge, I would confirm that agent's decision is de-facto a license for you,
-- be it a mistake or not.... but I am not a judge...

(*) I heard/saw this many times but can find exact reference.
See: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx
okay. so if I myself buy one of these Lenovo computers, one with Win7 pro license sticker, for home use. 2 years later, i upgrade my computer, and choose to replace my motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu, psu, ssd, hdd and case. Are you telling me I can't de-activate the license, and put on my new computer?

And no, newer OEM computers coming with Windows 10 do not have a label with license key anymore.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
514 upvotes
konsensei wrote: okay. so if I myself buy one of these Lenovo computers, one with Win7 pro license sticker, for home use. 2 years later, i upgrade my computer, and choose to replace my motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu, psu, ssd, hdd and case. Are you telling me I can't de-activate the license, and put on my new computer?

And no, newer OEM computers coming with Windows 10 do not have a label with license key anymore.
I am not a specialist, so to the best of my knowledge:

MS OEM license is bound to hardware. specifically, in most cases,
people talk about motherboard alone or motherboard+CPU.
ram, gpu, hd and case are not part of "activated hardware" and can
be changed freely.

Especially recently with W10 "cloud" activation but also may be with old
W7-8 activation, PC is sending "hardware hash" -- kind of
fingerprint of the system. So next time, after you upgrade the system,
they (microsoft database) will know what you change.

from my personal experience and from people talk:
MS-agents are generally agree on reactivation when
contacted by phone with reasonable explanations.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
6058 posts
1047 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Interesting discussion - going back and forth
tequilla wrote:
Especially recently with W10 "cloud" activation but also may be with old
W7-8 activation, PC is sending "hardware hash" -- kind of
fingerprint of the system. So next time, after you upgrade the system,
they (microsoft database) will know what you change.
I wonder if this applies to the Mac as well and what exactly does the Mac send.
Hardware is a bit different than a PC - not so much anymore, but Windows on the Mac can be run in a number of different ways.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 27, 2004
12810 posts
2163 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
konsensei wrote: I got one of these keys from a throw-away computer at work, gave it to the Microsoft agent with the back story, and was told it is good to use, no computer has been activated with this key before. Want to sue me? Bring it, I have the transcript saved. Am I ignorance to use this you-call-illegal? - no chance, I asked, and did my own due diligence.
"Want to sue me?" Odd thing to say, seeing as I've suggested cracktivation. If you've done your due dilligence, which is to read the EULA, and meet the criteria, then you're good.

tequilla, good job in explaining.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
rabbit wrote: "Want to sue me?" Odd thing to say, seeing as I've suggested cracktivation. If you've done your due dilligence, which is to read the EULA, and meet the criteria, then you're good.

tequilla, good job in explaining.
lol. You are all here under the assumption that "If keys are cheap, they must be illegal".

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterm ... nglish.htm

This is the EULA you are all talking about - it is not that long, and I've read it, please quote where anything discussed here is illegal, or contradicting with this EULA.

Of course OS is licensed, not sold. But how do you get a license? - Well, you need an activation key, genius!

Top