• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2019 4:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 15, 2016
6909 posts
2425 upvotes

Windows 10 questions

If I use a program like shutupo&o on Windows 10 Pro, does it disable all telemetry? Will Windows reactivate the settings again? I'm comparing it to the security settings of enterprise ltsc or ltsb. If I get the n version, do I need to install the media feature pack to play videos? I would like to avoid having wmp on my computer in general.

I noticed that Windows 10 pro lags in comparison to ltsc. Has anyone experienced the same? It should be the same right except it has more built in features? I've tried putting ltsc on a surface book but it doesn't have the camera and pen features.

Thanks.
Last edited by vivibaby on Apr 4th, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13014 upvotes
I just went with LTSC and called it a day.
Can't reactivate if it doesn't exist
*black thinking guy*
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 15, 2016
6909 posts
2425 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I just went with LTSC and called it a day.
Can't reactivate if it doesn't exist
*black thinking guy*
Telemetry is definitely still in ltsc. There is a bunch of settings that you need to edit even with a fresh install.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1992 posts
1037 upvotes
GTA
I just used O&O Shutup 10 and disabled all the recommended ones by the program (green checkmarks), I also disabled Cortana as well. Also because the way W10 operates I don't plug in my webcam into my gaming desktop anymore, so I don't have any video or mic to the computer in case of 'eavesdropping' by MS when I talk.

I also have my updates defered for 160 days for upgrades and 7 days for patches, in case there are issues where they rollback. It's quite annoying and a lot of work to get peace of mind. I even have feedback hub disabled.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 15, 2016
6909 posts
2425 upvotes
heyyahblah wrote: I just used O&O Shutup 10 and disabled all the recommended ones by the program (green checkmarks), I also disabled Cortana as well. Also because the way W10 operates I don't plug in my webcam into my gaming desktop anymore, so I don't have any video or mic to the computer in case of 'eavesdropping' by MS when I talk.

I also have my updates defered for 160 days for upgrades and 7 days for patches, in case there are issues where they rollback. It's quite annoying and a lot of work to get peace of mind. I even have feedback hub disabled.
Which version of windows do you use?

Can I still play videos if I don't have the media feature pack for windows n?
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1992 posts
1037 upvotes
GTA
vivibaby wrote: Which version of windows do you use?

Can I still play videos if I don't have the media feature pack for windows n?
Vanilla Windows 10 Pro v1809 & IDK about the media feature pack for Windows n, I use VLC Player for all my video needs
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: If I use a program like shutupo&o on Windows 10 Pro, does it disable all telemetry? Will Windows reactivate the settings again? I'm comparing it to the security settings of enterprise ltsc or ltsb. If I get the n version, do I need to install the media feature pack to play videos? I would like to avoid having wmp on my computer in general.

I noticed that Windows 10 pro lags in comparison to ltsc. Has anyone experienced the same? It should be the same right except it has more built in features? I've tried putting ltsc on a surface book but it doesn't have the camera and pen features.

Thanks.
Even for enterprise versions, not all telemetry is disabled even if windows is instructed to do so. As for Pro versions, O&O is putting a band aid on a leaking ship. MS can change any number of things, to reenable telemetry for any patches of Win 10.

If you didn't care about google doing this to you on your android phone or gmail, then don't worry about win 10 too much. It's the same thing.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1811 posts
1497 upvotes
Also try Destroy Windows Spying 2,2,2,2 along with O&O Shutup.
DWS Download Link

DWS also removes most W10 bloatware.

Some helpful websites to ponder/surf ...
Host Flie Editor
W10 Tutorial
A QUIET MAN IS A THINKING MAN.
A QUIET WOMAN IS A DANGEROUS WOMAN

My Missus said " I don't tell you how to spend your $$, Don't tell me how to spend your $$."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13014 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: Telemetry is definitely still in ltsc. There is a bunch of settings that you need to edit even with a fresh install.
I'm not sure you'll get all of it, but it's definitely better than SAC.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2196 posts
1071 upvotes
Saint John
badOne wrote:
If you didn't care about google doing this to you on your android phone or gmail, then don't worry about win 10 too much. It's the same thing.
This isn't said enough. How many of the people going apesh#!t over Windows 10 telemetry have Gmail accounts or use Android phones? How many use Facebook or some other social media? And hopefully everyone realizes that every time you click a link on this forum, your clicking behaviour is being reported to ad servers. Privacy is an illusion these days... we've been slowly giving it away for years now. It's better to accept and adapt IMO.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 15, 2016
6909 posts
2425 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote: This isn't said enough. How many of the people going apesh#!t over Windows 10 telemetry have Gmail accounts or use Android phones? How many use Facebook or some other social media? And hopefully everyone realizes that every time you click a link on this forum, your clicking behaviour is being reported to ad servers. Privacy is an illusion these days... we've been slowly giving it away for years now. It's better to accept and adapt IMO.
Accept and adapt? How would you adapt to something like this?
Oct 14, 2009
710 posts
257 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
birthdaymonkey wrote: This isn't said enough. How many of the people going apesh#!t over Windows 10 telemetry have Gmail accounts or use Android phones? How many use Facebook or some other social media? And hopefully everyone realizes that every time you click a link on this forum, your clicking behaviour is being reported to ad servers. Privacy is an illusion these days... we've been slowly giving it away for years now. It's better to accept and adapt IMO.
You're not wrong. But, I don't think the answer is to just shrug your shoulders and give up.

These companies got away with it for so long because most people didn't really know it was happening. A lot of people still don't. But the big problem is that some of these services have essentially become a de facto standard, and now they can get away with anything. The only realistic way to get these behaviours to change is regulation (which will never happen), or not using their services so that they don't make as much money.

But I don't really get the point of calling out hypocrisy of users on this. If a user wants to do what they can where they can, then they should try to. I agree that it is basically impossible to not have your behaviour tracked. But just because you can't win everywhere, doesn't mean you should do what you can where you can.

If nobody does anything, nothing is going to change. Realistically, it probably never will. But the solution isn't just to give in, especially when there are actual options out there (you can use Linux instead of Windows, you can use many other email providers instead of Gmail, phones unfortunately don't have a realistic alternative yet). But people need to decide how much convenience they're willing to give up.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2196 posts
1071 upvotes
Saint John
ugly wrote: You're not wrong. But, I don't think the answer is to just shrug your shoulders and give up.

These companies got away with it for so long because most people didn't really know it was happening. A lot of people still don't. But the big problem is that some of these services have essentially become a de facto standard, and now they can get away with anything. The only realistic way to get these behaviours to change is regulation (which will never happen), or not using their services so that they don't make as much money.

But I don't really get the point of calling out hypocrisy of users on this. If a user wants to do what they can where they can, then they should try to. I agree that it is basically impossible to not have your behaviour tracked. But just because you can't win everywhere, doesn't mean you should do what you can where you can.

If nobody does anything, nothing is going to change. Realistically, it probably never will. But the solution isn't just to give in, especially when there are actual options out there (you can use Linux instead of Windows, you can use many other email providers instead of Gmail, phones unfortunately don't have a realistic alternative yet). But people need to decide how much convenience they're willing to give up.
I'm just tired of hearing all the usual "M$" FUD trotted out over and over.

You make some good points - I can't argue with them, as I try to implement those alternatives myself. That's what I mean by "accept and adapt" rather than raging and foaming at Microsoft for doing the same thing as every other tech company.

I'm currently doing my best to learn Linux (it's a big change from Windows, very unrefined and inconsistent... The Linux community has a hard time understanding what a non-developer user is looking for in an OS.).

I also have a Protonmail account, use NanoAdblocker/NanoDefender and have a Pi-Hole setup that acts as a DNS server for my home network and blocks traffic to known ad servers.

You make a good point about sacrificing convenience - the measures I've mentioned (save the Protonmail account, which is very affordable and has a great interface) require a loss of convenience. I can't even follow most links on this site without opening the Pi-Hole interface and disabling the device temporarily.

My attention wasn't to jump on OP. I can understand wanting to use software tools to shut down some of the MS adware. I just get frustrated by the seething hatred I see posted all over the internet about Windows 10, as though Microsoft is especially evil and unethical for incentivizing people to update from their previous 10-year-old OS.

The fact is that your information is the business model of the technology world now. You can adapt or opt out, but there's no point in deceiving yourself. If you really want to be private, run Tails and use the Tor browser. Even then , it's recommended to use a VPN for extra insurance. In all other circumstances, privacy is an illusion.