• Dec 3rd, 2019 10:43 pm
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
2182 posts
218 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada

Windows 10 reset - stuck at the "Resetting this PC" stage

Hi all,

I have a ThinkPad P50s laptop that I'm going to sell in the future. A while back (something during April 2019), I recently upgraded my RAM to 32GB and an SSD at 1TB (When I first got that computer back in May 2017, it came with 16GB RAM and a 1TB 5400RPM mechanical hard drive).

The operating system that came with the laptop is Windows 10 Home. Over the weekend, I've did a full reset using the "Reset This PC" option. I select the "Remove files and clean the drive" selection and then once that was completed, I've restarted my computer to initiate the reset process.

At that stage, Windows was initiating the reset process. While things were progressing, it became stuck at "Resetting this PC" at 42% (for my case).

I've left my computer running over the course of the weekend and it appears that there wasn't any traction since then. I wanted to know from your experiences how long did it take to wipe the Windows 10 installation into a "factory-fresh" state (either in your experience or something similar to mine)?

What should I do if my laptop got stuck at the "Resetting this PC" stage? I'm worried that it could potentially damage (and have an impact) of the overall stability of the Windows 10 installation as a whole.

Should I leave my computer as it is until the reset has been completed?

Also, should the reset has been completed and I wanted to have the buyer to configure their system by themselves, what are the steps?
7 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Probably best to shut down and restart computer at this point... had it happen once and just restarted computer by pressing power button for several seconds.

Might also be good idea to get latest w10 iso on dvd or usb and do clean install... it will activate with digital lic.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
Chances are your hdd is dying
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1784 posts
775 upvotes
GO TO GEEKSQUAD!!
are we there yet?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
*snicker*
Gotta love Windows.

Personally I'd take the hour and just reinstall Windows yourself.
Make a USB stick, find some drivers, and take matters into your own hands.
techjedi wrote: GO TO GEEKSQUAD!!
Oh $deity why
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
2182 posts
218 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
A clean install would be my best situation.

Not sure if I should install the drivers as well after the clean install or leave the computer as it is after the clean install process and let the buyer configure themselves...
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12577 upvotes
Markham
Had same issue when I upgraded Windows 10, fresh installation solved the problem