Computers & Electronics

windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2021 2:58 pm
[OP]
Feb 15, 2013
942 posts
381 upvotes
Toronto

windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.

Hi All,

My laptop won't turn on and I decided to re-install the OS.

Before that I connected my laptop hard drive to desktop to backup file. When I am trying to open any file (song, pic etc) I am getting "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. "

I created "everyone" access with full control but no success. I am able to copy file to my desktop but cannot access it.

Can anyone help me with this situation.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5854 posts
2393 upvotes
Debtario
Try a live run linux distro, linux ignores windows file permissions
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Feb 15, 2013
942 posts
381 upvotes
Toronto
M1K3Z0R wrote: Try a live run linux distro, linux ignores windows file permissions
Never used Linux. Could you share any YouTube vid and I will try out..
Feb 9, 2008
170 posts
133 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Did you follow the whole thing, including the part where you give yourself permissions to access the files?
Were there any access denied errors during the process?

If you applied it to something like D:\Users\[your username]\ and checked the box where it applies to all subfolders, it should give access to every file in that folder (Desktop, Documents, Music, etc.)

For linux, you can make a bootable USB or DVD, following instructions here:
https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#1-getting-started
It should detect your desktop's hard drive, as well as the laptop drive. Just make sure you know which one is which before you start deleting things.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2266 posts
1316 upvotes
Calgary
This is why formatting external drives with NTFS is not always a good idea.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2713 posts
1441 upvotes
London
check in windows defender and see if its trying to block it. since the new release of windows its been randomly blocking shit. like the other day i needed to download something and when i tired to install u torrent i was getting that error when trying to run the installer. turns out windows defender was blocking the install file from running.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13213 posts
2444 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Devhux wrote: This is why formatting external drives with NTFS is not always a good idea.
I don't think I've ever had an issue, and that's including internal HDDs connected to a different computer. My bro did, when he upgraded to a new computer, but he sucks :D .
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2266 posts
1316 upvotes
Calgary
I’ve had it happen multiple times
[OP]
Feb 15, 2013
942 posts
381 upvotes
Toronto
zerod wrote: Try taking ownership of the folder and files on that drive.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-take-ownership-files-and-folders-windows-10
Update... I lost access to myself in my desktop..I was getting the above message to my desktop data/apps... I believe I gave access to incorrect id (I gave to my Gmail account that is linked to Microsoft account).

Contacted MS support and after some try.. she made me update “media creation tool”.. everything back to normal now.. and I am able to access laptop hard drive too..
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1069 posts
694 upvotes
Canada
Devhux wrote: This is why formatting external drives with NTFS is not always a good idea.
Since ExFat has gained large support, I agree with you.
Feb 9, 2008
170 posts
133 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
gskn4u wrote: Update... I lost access to myself in my desktop..I was getting the above message to my desktop data/apps... I believe I gave access to incorrect id (I gave to my Gmail account that is linked to Microsoft account).

Contacted MS support and after some try.. she made me update “media creation tool”.. everything back to normal now.. and I am able to access laptop hard drive too..
It's good that you got it fixed. Sounded like you applied the changes to your desktop's drive instead of laptop.