Hot Deals

Windscribe

Control D - New DNS Service from Windscribe - 30 Days Free (all accounts) + 50% off for Existing Windscribe Users

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2023 3:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
25043 posts
202697 upvotes
GTA

[Windscribe] Control D - New DNS Service from Windscribe - 30 Days Free (all accounts) + 50% off for Existing Windscribe Users

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Windscribe
More offers from Windscribe
Windscribe has launched a new DNS filtering service called Control D. I am not entirely certain how it compares with other services, but you are able to set a default location for certain services/sites (i.e. always access Netflix from the US), block certain types of content, make certain websites accessible between certain hours/days of the week (can be set per device). You can also view a full log of activity to see what sites your kids may be accessing, etc.

Thry are offering a 30 day trial (no credit card required) and if you go to the link below, you are able to get 50% off the plan pricing for existing Windscribe users (scroll to the bottom where it says 'Apply Promo Code' and you will see the option to enter in your Windscribe user ID - $10 a year for the lower tier or $20 a year for the higher tier).

Again, not too knowledgeable in this specific area on similar (or possibly free) services and how they compare, but just sharing the deal.

https://controld.com/plans?step=plans

Edit: You can also go for the 5-year plan via StackSocial ($8 per year) if you prefer and/or don't already have Windscribe:

https://stacksocial.com/sales/control-d ... scriptions
Last edited by toguy on Dec 8th, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
164 replies
Nov 30, 2013
840 posts
1116 upvotes
Remember that we also get free private and family-filtered DNS services from our federal government. Have been using it from launch and has no problem so far. Just set the router dns to these and done.

CIRA Canadian Shield
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1550 posts
1620 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
lesoir wrote: Remember that we also get free private and family-filtered DNS services from our federal government. Have been using it from launch and has no problem so far. Just set the router dns to these and done.

CIRA Canadian Shield
I can't imagine that their DNS service would give you access to US streaming services.
Last edited by herrdude on Dec 8th, 2022 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1633 posts
2541 upvotes
Kingston
lesoir wrote: Remember that we also get free private and family-filtered DNS services from our federal government. Have been using it from launch and has no problem so far. Just set the router dns to these and done.

CIRA Canadian Shield
RCMP: How can we track every Canadian's web activity?
Government: Let's give them a "free" DNS service!

Of course I'm being fictitious... Or am I?? :-)

Thanks for sharing!
Temp. Banned
Jun 20, 2020
17142 posts
22931 upvotes
Toronto

CIRA Canadian Shield
Fyi, CIRA is neither an arm of government, nor a government agency, nor a charity.

CIRA is a private, not-for-profit; a member-driven organization that oversees, promotes and protects an important resource on behalf of all Canadians.

CIRA history
https://www.cira.ca/about-cira/cira-history
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
2948 posts
4343 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Control D is the best. Get the deal through stacksocial and then get the full upgrade afterwards. You'll end up paying only $10/year for the top package forever.
Jan 24, 2011
885 posts
725 upvotes
Montreal / Laval
There a a bunch of Secure DNS used by PiHole such as Quad9, OpenDNS, cloudflare and Google. I use Quad9 filtered, DNSSEC. Don't really know improvement of Windscribe DNS.

Found un interesting thread on Quad9 DNS on Reddit.
Last edited by nicknam4e on Dec 8th, 2022 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
Public Mobile Cell + Data: Unlimited talk and text + 2GB - 18$
IVC Internet : 100/30M Videotron cable - 40$
Nov 22, 2016
650 posts
410 upvotes
Any idea if this would allow me access to any new content using Netflix Japan or any other server where I couldn't get full access currently?

For example, I can get access to Netflix Japan but it's content is a fraction of what is available if I was to login while actually in Japan.

TIA
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2003
5016 posts
1318 upvotes
SK
Wrestlemania wrote: Control D is the best. Get the deal through stacksocial and then get the full upgrade afterwards. You'll end up paying only $10/year for the top package forever.
How does this compare to something like “SmartDNS Proxy” that does the same thing?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5762 posts
4396 upvotes
this means windscribe will not be trying hard to circumvent netflix's geofencing with their vpn, with this new service replacing it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
25043 posts
202697 upvotes
GTA
Wrestlemania wrote: Control D is the best. Get the deal through stacksocial and then get the full upgrade afterwards. You'll end up paying only $10/year for the top package forever.
Thanks for the tip - I see there's a 5 yr sub for the lower tier for $39.99 - is that the deal you are referring to?

To upgrade after, how does that work - how much does it cost to upgrade afterwards?

Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
2948 posts
4343 upvotes
Toronto, ON
toguy wrote: Thanks for the tip - I see there's a 5 yr sub for the lower tier for $39.99 - is that the deal you are referring to?

To upgrade after, how does that work - how much does it cost to upgrade afterwards?

Yes, that's the deal. Then you pay $10 to upgrade, and then it's $10 each year moving forward.
Mar 23, 2015
472 posts
189 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Can you explain more the deal not following.

stacksocial has the 5 years plan for 39.99$
Oct 4, 2006
224 posts
44 upvotes
Is this something equivalent to pihole? Is it good to filter youtube ads?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5369 posts
3062 upvotes
GTA
rationalxde wrote: Is this something equivalent to pihole? Is it good to filter youtube ads?
Equivalent to pihole, yes but with some additional geolocation features

It won't block YouTube ads though. No DNS based solution will
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
2948 posts
4343 upvotes
Toronto, ON
blackCold wrote: Can you explain more the deal not following.

stacksocial has the 5 years plan for 39.99$
The five year plan is the basic plan. Upgrade to the full version for $10 more, and then you only pay $10/year.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5498 posts
5145 upvotes
Toronto

CIRA Canadian Shield
Believe you are confusing CIRA with CRA

CIRA is not part of the Feds, but the tax collector is lol
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23755 posts
8530 upvotes
Wrestlemania wrote: Yes, that's the deal. Then you pay $10 to upgrade, and then it's $10 each year moving forward.
Says for new users only. How does this work if you have the Windscribe Lifetime account or is this a separate product?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)