Boxing Day 2020 Deals

Windscribe

Toronto based Windscribe VPN Holiday Deal + Xmas Short Film

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2021 7:35 am
Deal Addict
May 4, 2005
2648 posts
208 upvotes
abdlc wrote: Is this a good option to use HBO Max?
I used it and was able to sign up and use HBO max with no issues
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 24, 2016
597 posts
614 upvotes
When are you going to add IPv6 and actually do a proper independent security/logging audit?
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Nov 17, 2005
317 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
manho wrote: I'm not sure how I feel about actually realizing windscribe being located on Toronto...

Say for torrenting, it just seems more streamlined legally for a intellectual property original owner (presumably in Canada) to request info from a Canadian VPN company for a Canadian ISP leading to the Canadian client. Whereas if the VPN company itself was based elsewhere, it just feels there's an extra step of legal complexity from the extraterrestrial boundary. I dunno, just my thoughts.

In similar argument, privacy wise, I'd actually feel more safe to use WeChat in Canada than say WhatsApp. As a private citizen, I'd rather let a foreign government to spoof on my life than my own govt. (Business trade secrets or other high value info is another story of coz; and likewise, use WhatsApp in China...err wait. I guess they banned it for exactly this reason, didn't they...) Again, just my worthless two cents.
That could not be further from the truth. Canada has no data retention directives or laws that apply to VPNs. These laws exist for ISPs, and a VPN is not an ISP. Most people think that an "offshore based" VPN is somehow more secure/better. If that was true, trust me, we'd spring for a $1000 it costs to open a Panama offshore company. We didn't because it makes no difference. This false understanding is just perpetuated by VPN "review" sites that exist solely to promote NordVPN and Expressvpn which have the highest CPA rates in the VPN industry, and that's why you will find them ranked as "best" almost everywhere. As soon as you see a "best VPN" list without any affiliate links, you will find that these lists look entirely different in terms of who is "the best": https://www.wired.co.uk/article/best-vpn
GuineaPig wrote: Doing some research seems like these features are only available in a beta/client version (looking at the windows client). Any estimation on when these features would be implemented in a 'stable' release. The product sounds good and those features are attractive but i don't want to subscribe to something still in its testing phase.
This is only beta by name, it's been extensively tested for the last 5+ months by dozens of testers. We've went through many version before making the beta public. It's safe to use it.
Newbie
Dec 12, 2012
20 posts
20 upvotes
comp_freak wrote: Any possibility to do 3 years deal promo at some new promo price? Our last deal will expire in a few months and would love to get on another 3 years term.
It would be nice for current subscribers to be locked into some sort of grandfathered autorenew at a special price.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1604 posts
846 upvotes
testcoke wrote: It would be nice for current subscribers to be locked into some sort of grandfathered autorenew at a special price.
It would be nice to auto renew at old price but if thats not possible then we should have new price for a 3 years term.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3674 posts
2673 upvotes
toronto
I have never used a vpn before. Can someone let me know how it works? I have rogers coda modem and eero mesh wifi setup. so do I need to login on my individual devices or do i somehow set this up at the modem stage? also, would I be safe torrenting through this, what risks am I taking by doing that. pm me if you dont want to openly discuss here, I would appreciate it.
Got that ZOOMER account!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
16434 posts
4190 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I have never used a vpn before. Can someone let me know how it works? I have rogers coda modem and eero mesh wifi setup. so do I need to login on my individual devices or do i somehow set this up at the modem stage? also, would I be safe torrenting through this, what risks am I taking by doing that. pm me if you dont want to openly discuss here, I would appreciate it.
You would be degrading your connection by having it be going through a VPN at router level. Just use it for devices that have VPN-needs.
Member
Feb 8, 2010
402 posts
128 upvotes
Brampton
Which server to use if i need to watch amazon prime USA
I have Canadian prime
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3674 posts
2673 upvotes
toronto
weedb0y wrote: You would be degrading your connection by having it be going through a VPN at router level. Just use it for devices that have VPN-needs.
how safe is torrenting using this service? I saw their desktop instructions on their site, will I really be covered (even using the free service)?
Got that ZOOMER account!
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
2399 posts
1143 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: how safe is torrenting using this service? I saw their desktop instructions on their site, will I really be covered (even using the free service)?
There are a few differences between the pro and free version, but even with the free version the 'security out of the box' is the same. Windscribe doesn't keep identifiable logs. See here.
You can feel confident torrenting without worry.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3674 posts
2673 upvotes
toronto
sheyenne wrote: There are a few differences between the pro and free version, but even with the free version the 'security out of the box' is the same. Windscribe doesn't keep identifiable logs. See here.
You can feel confident torrenting without worry.
what would I gain buy paying other than the unlimited vs 10gb?
Got that ZOOMER account!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3674 posts
2673 upvotes
toronto
mannat25 wrote: Which server to use if i need to watch amazon prime USA
I have Canadian prime
from what i see you actually need a us prime account, its not like netflix. someone correct me if I am wrong.
Got that ZOOMER account!
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
2399 posts
1143 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: from what i see you actually need a us prime account, its not like netflix. someone correct me if I am wrong.
I'm not aware of this. You have these two main options: pro account or free account. You can elect to buy access to one server location with unlimited use and also a dedicated IP address, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.
Windscribe offers a 3 day trial where you can try out their premium service (you must buy from them, not other sites like Stacksocial). See below:
Refunds
Windscribe strongly encourages to test the free Service before you pay any subscription to commercial plans. The free service differs from the commercial service only with respect to bandwidth limitations and available servers. In case you are not satisfied with the commercial Service, once you have subscribed you have the right to obtain a full reimbursement, provided you purchased the subscription directly from Windscribe, and given that your request is sent within 3 commercial days from the subscription payment. Windscribe accepts only written refund requests sent to our support desk. You have the right to request a reimbursement without giving explanations. The right to be refunded is invalid if You have violated the Terms of Service and/or if you send the request after having used the Service for more than 3 days and/or if you have used the Service for a global traffic volume exceeding 10 GB. Windscribe warrants a reimbursement within 30 days from receipt of reimbursement request.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3674 posts
2673 upvotes
toronto
sheyenne wrote: I'm not aware of this. You have these two main options: pro account or free account. You can elect to buy access to one server location with unlimited use and also a dedicated IP address, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.
Windscribe offers a 3 day trial where you can try out their premium service (you must buy from them, not other sites like Stacksocial). See below:
i was responding to the other user asking about the US amazon prime account. pretty sure you actually need to sign up for a US prime accont vs only a canadian one and switching the location like it works for netflix
Got that ZOOMER account!
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
2399 posts
1143 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: i was responding to the other user asking about the US amazon prime account. pretty sure you actually need to sign up for a US prime accont vs only a canadian one and switching the location like it works for netflix
Oops. My bad. Sorry.

From what I heard, Amazon can by very flaky. It's kind of like Netflix. One moment you have access, the next you might not.
Newbie
Mar 1, 2003
58 posts
7 upvotes
yegorpb wrote: This deal is for 1 year of service, which is $29.99 USD. We're going to be adding CAD billing in 2021, sorry about the whole USD thing.

You can read our typically unusual holiday email that talks about other new things part of the service, namely the new Windows and Mac apps which support Wireguard, split tunneling, MAC address spoofing (no other VPN has this) and a whole lot more: https://windscribe.com/emails/2020_xmas.html

We also produced a holiday themed parody of A Christmas Carol, just for fun during these not very fun times. The feedback has been spectacular, so I invite you to watch it and have a giggle. There is some NSFW language thou.



I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.
HI there,

Can I configure a pfsense router?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
16434 posts
4190 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
riseagainstthemachine wrote: how safe is torrenting using this service? I saw their desktop instructions on their site, will I really be covered (even using the free service)?
Pretty safe. Just set it up properly. Pro version I believe has torrent-friendly servers.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15089 posts
2681 upvotes
mannat25 wrote: Which server to use if i need to watch amazon prime USA
I have Canadian prime
Try WindFlix
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
13895 posts
17295 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote: Try WindFlix
I think WINDFLIX is no longer required.
yegorpb wrote: Netflix should work in almost every Windscribe location, including all US and Canadian locations, WINDFLIX is no longer required. Be sure that you have "Unlock Streaming" switch toggled in My Account section of our website.

That's not needed anymore. Netflix will work in all city locations in almost every country except for the more "exotic" ones.
Destiny is all

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)