Automotive

Windshield cracked; go through insurance?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2016 1:12 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1623 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto

Windshield cracked; go through insurance?

Hello guys, so I just got a cracked windshield in my new Kia Optima and I have comprehensive coverage with $500 deductable coverage, repair shop said I will not pay anything and they will claim through insurance.
What is the back draw for going through insurance? Would this increase my insurance rate? Or what is negative impact of going through insurance? What do you guys recommend.

I'm in Brampton by the way...
6 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13833 posts
14348 upvotes
Oakville
Replacing your windshield should be $300 or less. So it doesn't seem to matter as your deductible is higher. The the shop is charging you more then shop around.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1163 posts
533 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
jabela wrote: Replacing your windshield should be $300 or less. So it doesn't seem to matter as your deductible is higher. The the shop is charging you more then shop around.
He has an Optima with heated front glass so it might cost more
Sep 9, 2013
572 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
Call your insurance company.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13833 posts
14348 upvotes
Oakville
nayan97 wrote: He has an Optima with heated front glass so it might cost more
Yes, heated glass would cost a lot more. How do you know he has it? Do all Optimas come with heated glass?
Dec 7, 2011
613 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
jabela wrote: Yes, heated glass would cost a lot more. How do you know he has it? Do all Optimas come with heated glass?
Most Optimas come heated but some aren't. The other options available are the rain sensor and condensation sensor. This glass is very expensive. I haven't installed a windshield in an Optima in a while but the last time I did it was well over $1k. Hopefully this glass is available aftermarket now. KIA charges well over $1k just for the windshield alone. I'm not really sure how they base their pricing but OE glass for KIA is very expensive compared to other brands like BMW, Audi and Mercedes.
Last edited by mer1ion on Dec 16th, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 7, 2011
613 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
indca wrote: Hello guys, so I just got a cracked windshield in my new Kia Optima and I have comprehensive coverage with $500 deductable coverage, repair shop said I will not pay anything and they will claim through insurance.
What is the back draw for going through insurance? Would this increase my insurance rate? Or what is negative impact of going through insurance? What do you guys recommend.

I'm in Brampton by the way...
The unwritten rule is usually 2 glass claims within 6 years. In my 20+ years of installing glass, I've never had a customer come back to me and say their premiums have increased because of a glass claim. In your situation, I'd probably go through insurance as this windshield is very expensive. Only way I can explain how they're covering your deductible is that they are doing one of two things. Either this glass is now available aftermarket(should be cheaper than OE) or they are billing the insurance in a very creative manner. Keep in mind, insurance sets the pricing for the job and not the shop. The most important thing is finding a reputable shop. Saving on the deductible will be the least of your worries if you get a poor install or a low quality glass. You can never come back from a bad install especially if rust has formed or a water leak has damaged the electronics of your vehicle.