Automotive

Windshield Fluid - Expensive!

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2018 2:51 am
[OP]
Member
Mar 15, 2004
419 posts
16 upvotes

Windshield Fluid - Expensive!

This is a rant more than anything now that I have to buy windshield water fluid after 3 or so years and find it expensive! I bought 24 cans from Home Depot at 0.80$ three winters ago and realized the container I used yesterday was the last one! What is the decent price for RFDers? Has anyone attempt to mix/make at home? Some water > ammonia > dish soap or other mix?
55 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2021 posts
670 upvotes
Markham
Welcome to the world of inflation. You can find them on sale from time to time around $1.50 a jug.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 20, 2015
647 posts
174 upvotes
Place
Been buying my own windshield washer fluid since my parents got their first car.
Good luck!
[OP]
Member
Mar 15, 2004
419 posts
16 upvotes
Juyen21 wrote: Been buying my own windshield washer fluid since my parents got their first car.
Buying or making your own?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
29341 posts
15155 upvotes
Toronto
I am sure you can find some spare change inside your car ... $2.50 + taxes would be the going rate now for a jug

or you just have to keep on making pit stops @ the gas station to clean your windows there for free
[OP]
Member
Mar 15, 2004
419 posts
16 upvotes
booblehead wrote: I am sure you can find some spare change inside your car ... $2.50 + taxes would be the going rate now for a jug

or you just have to keep on making pit stops @ the gas station to clean your windows there for free
Yea, pit stops would work if the gas stations have some usable fluid, most of the time the water is frozen. Not that I would be wasting time to clean the windshield on my 50km one way commute but would be nice for the stations to have some usable liquid for those that are filling up gas!
Sr. Member
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
235 upvotes
Tik wrote: Has anyone attempt to mix/make at home? Some water > ammonia > dish soap or other mix?
Car gasoline is expensive too. Instead of buying gasoline, a person may into the gas tank used cooking oil.........LOL
Last edited by psudolam on Feb 5th, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Oct 26, 2009
852 posts
363 upvotes
You're complaining about windshield washer fluid being expensive when the average home in the GTA is close to a million dollars. Get real
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1959 posts
457 upvotes
m4r 1k8
lol @ .80 man how much are you going to spend in one winter for wind shield washer fluid? :p

its $2.50 / 4l thats enough to last you a year ...

its not that big of a deal ...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11745 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
ed116 wrote: lol @ .80 man how much are you going to spend in one winter for wind shield washer fluid? :p

its $2.50 / 4l thats enough to last you a year ...

its not that big of a deal ...

Exactly, I use maybe 2 jugs at the most in one winter. In summer, I barely use half bottle for the summer fluid.
In a year, it cost you less than $10 and people complain about it.

Is just like one of my friend that complain about gas price increase and her commute to work is les than 5km one way.

By the way, I don't know where OP get his Windshield fluid for 80c a jug 3 years ago. It's been over $1.50 a jug since the last decade?
Now we can buy the cheap one for $1.88. The normal one are about $3 or so if not on sale.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 20, 2015
647 posts
174 upvotes
Place
buying. We don't trust ourselves making our own windshield washer fluid.
Good luck!
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1959 posts
457 upvotes
m4r 1k8
MP3_SKY wrote: Exactly, I use maybe 2 jugs at the most in one winter. In summer, I barely use half bottle for the summer fluid.
In a year, it cost you less than $10 and people complain about it.

Is just like one of my friend that complain about gas price increase and her commute to work is les than 5km one way.

By the way, I don't know where OP get his Windshield fluid for 80c a jug 3 years ago. It's been over $1.50 a jug since the last decade?
Now we can buy the cheap one for $1.88. The normal one are about $3 or so if not on sale.
its possible he got a liquidation sale from HD @ $20/24 pieces

also i drive an accord with a 4L reservoir and one whole jug lasts me 1 year .... i fill up every year december (it is done the following year in december)
[OP]
Member
Mar 15, 2004
419 posts
16 upvotes
I better shut-up now! I know the mount of liquid used is not so much - may be 3 cans per winter. It may have been home depot liquidation in Richmond Hill (Young & 7). I guess just have to more active on deal hunting!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11745 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
Juyen21 wrote: buying. We don't trust ourselves making our own windshield washer fluid.
Not when the windshield fluid is still around $2 a jug. Not worth the hassle.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2655 posts
455 upvotes
Tik wrote: This is a rant more than anything now that I have to buy windshield water fluid after 3 or so years and find it expensive! I bought 24 cans from Home Depot at 0.80$ three winters ago and realized the container I used yesterday was the last one! What is the decent price for RFDers? Has anyone attempt to mix/make at home? Some water > ammonia > dish soap or other mix?
holy smokes, where do you have that much room to store 24 cans? I just buy a case of 4 from costco when I'm done with the last jug, usually last like a year for 4 jugs. At costco its usually $10.99 during none winter months, I noticed this year's winter pricing is $11.49 per case.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1275 upvotes
I thought I saw windshield fluid in the Lowes flyer last week for $1.50. <edit >Nope, I just looked. It was buy 1 get 1 50% off, with a base price of $3. So that would be $2.25 per jug.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2007
3515 posts
651 upvotes
Scarborough
PSA: if you're ever at a wreckers, bring you own jugs and fill up on their free washer fluid. I usually do this every summer because I end up needing some part for my car anyway. Fill 4 jugs, lasts me a year.

Inb4 its old, its used, blah blah...it cleans my windshield just fine.
CPA, CISA

Realtor® at HouseSigma Brokerage
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
29341 posts
15155 upvotes
Toronto
if you go to your car dealer for servicing, the tech will top it up ... in some case, they will even throw in a free jug into your trunk. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16502 posts
18058 upvotes
Oakville
booblehead wrote: if you go to your car dealer for servicing, the tech will top it up ... in some case, they will even throw in a free jug into your trunk. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
One dealer visit will waste enough of your money for several years worth of washer fluid cost.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Top