Automotive

Windshield repair for honda civic (lease buy out in 2 months)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2021 10:04 am
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
385 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto

Windshield repair for honda civic (lease buy out in 2 months)

I have Honda Civic EX-T 2016 model. My lease would be over in October and i am planning to buy it out. Recently i noticed that the windshield has some damage (due to some rock on highway or something). What should be ideal way to get it fixed.

I have already talked with insurance and they said that i have $500 deductible on my policy so most probably I will be paying everything from my pocket.

Should i replace the windshield from any repair shop, or should i ask Honda to do it. Anything else that i should be worried/concerned about?

Thanks
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1489 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
No need to repair it if you plan to buy out the car.

The dealer might ask you to repair it if you were to return it in after your lease.
Mar 14, 2008
600 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
When we bought out our lease from Honda we had to get a safety check completed. One item the safety covers is the condition of the windshield - in our case there was a crack and therefore the windshield had to be replaced prior to buying out the lease. I'm guessing if you have a crack your windshield has to be replaced, however I'm not sure how a chip is treated during the safety inspection.

Speak to @mer1ion (Auto Glass Worx in Mississauga) who may be able to provide some additional insight. He has done work on our cars and is also highly rated on google and RFD.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
385 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
submarine wrote: No need to repair it if you plan to buy out the car.

The dealer might ask you to repair it if you were to return it in after your lease.
I talked with Honda (they didn't see the car) and said that windshield damage is one of the concern during safety inspection so it may need to be replaced.
moommen wrote: When we bought out our lease from Honda we had to get a safety check completed. One item the safety covers is the condition of the windshield - in our case there was a crack and therefore the windshield had to be replaced prior to buying out the lease. I'm guessing if you have a crack your windshield has to be replaced, however I'm not sure how a chip is treated during the safety inspection.

Speak to @mer1ion (Auto Glass Worx in Mississauga) who may be able to provide some additional insight. He has done work on our cars and is also highly rated on google and RFD.
I have attached the image of damage. i am not sure if Honda will make an issue about it. should i first get it checked and then take any action?
Images
  • unnamed.jpg
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19109 posts
18964 upvotes
Richmond Hill
submarine wrote: No need to repair it if you plan to buy out the car.

False. Buying out the lease will require a safety and if the crack/chip is too big it will fail and need to be replaced.
Apr 22, 2019
411 posts
442 upvotes
A vehicle with fail a safety inspection if the chip is in the area covered by the windshield wipers, from the image you’ve attached it looks like it’s directly in the drivers line of sight, this must be repaired before a safety test is completed.
Mar 14, 2008
600 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
hyph3n wrote: I talked with Honda (they didn't see the car) and said that windshield damage is one of the concern during safety inspection so it may need to be replaced.

I have attached the image of damage. i am not sure if Honda will make an issue about it. should i first get it checked and then take any action?
Personally, I would contact Auto Glass Worx (or any windshield shop you prefer) to see if the chip is too large to fill using a DIY kit from Princess Auto or Amazon. If it can be filled, then I would try that prior to the safety inspection, plus you might as well fill it before it develops into a larger crack. Figure it's worth $20 to give it a try instead of spending a couple hundred on a new windshield.

I don't have much experience with filling windshield chips, so can't recommend a product, but this one from PA looks well reviewed (https://www.princessauto.com/en/bullsey ... 0008502387)
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2569 posts
1287 upvotes
Hometown
Oops someone beat me to the punch....

Since you are buying it out...

Are you a betting type of person? Do you have 20 bucks plus sales tax? Buy the repair kit in this video from Amazon, or wherever but the ONE from the video. Do it soon and take a trip on the wild side.

Last edited by Canuck2fan on Aug 30th, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1167 posts
1541 upvotes
Calgary
That chip is so minor, either go to a glass shop and get it filled in for ~$20 or diy with a permatex bullseye kit for $15
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1144 posts
1488 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
I will put a small smileyGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes sticker and see if the mechanic will caught it during inspection. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9181 posts
8420 upvotes
redblack wrote: That chip is so minor, either go to a glass shop and get it filled in for ~$20 or diy with a permatex bullseye kit for $15
This. And you should address this ASAP before it turns into a crack. Once it cracks, it's definitely a new windshield.

Now if you windshield is pitted anyway and want a new one, then skip the repair and go directly for a replacement. Have not shopped lately but I assume a non-oem for Civic should come in at under $300.
Dec 7, 2011
836 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto
hyph3n wrote: I talked with Honda (they didn't see the car) and said that windshield damage is one of the concern during safety inspection so it may need to be replaced.

My recommendation is to take it to a place that is good at repairing chips. Don't bother with those tent guys or DIY kits. You want this repair to come out good and barely visible. There's a good chance the tech that does the safety will miss it if you can barely see the repair. Technically, it should fail safety because it's in the driver's view.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2953 posts
1536 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Not in Ontario but we the standard price from one of the major players round here is $20 to get it fixed (not a tent). Worth seeing what they can do if it's a similar price where you are.
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
385 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
mer1ion wrote: My recommendation is to take it to a place that is good at repairing chips. Don't bother with those tent guys or DIY kits. You want this repair to come out good and barely visible. There's a good chance the tech that does the safety will miss it if you can barely see the repair. Technically, it should fail safety because it's in the driver's view.

Do you recommend anyone in Mississauga?
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
10528 posts
5864 upvotes
Toronto
hyph3n wrote: Do you recommend anyone in Mississauga?
Auto Glass Worx posted above
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12352 posts
4858 upvotes
Toronto
It is a stone chip less than the size of a 25c, just fix the dent, you do not have the replace the whole windshield.

1. You can go to any shop to fix it on your own and pay out of pocket. Shop like Auto glass will charge about $120. A bit less if you go to some individual shop, even less if you can DIY.

2. You can go through insurance, from my experience, my insurance company did not even make me pay the deductible. I just brought the car to their preferred repair shop and the shop billed them, they fixed it and I drive the car home.
The reason being they rather pay $120 to fix the dent now then later they have to pay $1000+ (minus your comprehensive deductible) to get your a new windshield. Some people argue that it will impact your insurance, which is not the case for my insurance.
insurance always increase with a reason or not, so why not make sure of it. my 2 cents.

Good Luck but fix it ASAP before it spread and you will need a windshield.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6123 posts
3938 upvotes
Toronto
iSimple wrote: Auto Glass Worx posted above
Auto Glass Worx is more of a replacement shop, the OP's windshield doesn't look like it needs to be replaced right now.

Mer1ion himself said to take it to a shop that's good at repairs.

OP just remember you'll likely always be able to see where the chip/pit was, a repair will never make it like original.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12352 posts
4858 upvotes
Toronto
BeaverLiquor wrote:
OP just remember you'll likely always be able to see where the chip/pit was, a repair will never make it like original.
True, that's why the tech at Speedglass told me too,
There will be still a tiny almost unnoticeable dot. I'm good with that, it is a car anyway, it cannot be stay perfect when the car is driven out daily.

Even now, it takes me a while to find it if you ask me where is that "dot" on my repaired windshield.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Mar 31, 2011
444 posts
409 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
BeaverLiquor wrote: OP just remember you'll likely always be able to see where the chip/pit was, a repair will never make it like original.
I second this. You would not believe the # of clients I have to deal with that just assume that the resin used to fill the chip, will magically blend in with solid glass and 100% disappear Face With Rolling Eyes It is not the same material people!! One is a liquid and one is a solid...

If you decide to just get a repair (which looks like one is all you need from the pic), go with a Speedy Glass or Apple Auto Glass. They'll be around $100, don't take the hit on your insurance. Otherwise, if you want replacement, call AGW like others have suggested, get a NAGS aftermarket glass, cheaper than a dealer part.
Buying things you don't need is what RFD is all about.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6123 posts
3938 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote: True, that's why the tech at Speedglass told me too,
There will be still a tiny almost unnoticeable dot. I'm good with that, it is a car anyway, it cannot be stay perfect when the car is driven out daily.

Even now, it takes me a while to find it if you ask me where is that "dot" on my repaired windshield.
Blustreak wrote: I second this. You would not believe the # of clients I have to deal with that just assume that the resin used to fill the chip, will magically blend in with solid glass and 100% disappear Face With Rolling Eyes It is not the same material people!! One is a liquid and one is a solid...

If you decide to just get a repair (which looks like one is all you need from the pic), go with a Speedy Glass or Apple Auto Glass. They'll be around $100, don't take the hit on your insurance. Otherwise, if you want replacement, call AGW like others have suggested, get a NAGS aftermarket glass, cheaper than a dealer part.
Some repairs will be less noticeable than others (all things being equal re: workmanship), just hope the OP has realistic expectations.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A