Automotive

Windshield repair kits (Amazon, eBay, etc.)--any good?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2019 1:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28237 posts
8690 upvotes

Windshield repair kits (Amazon, eBay, etc.)--any good?

Has anyone used one of those DIY windshield chip repair kits? There seem to be ones "from China/HK" as well as brand-name kits from the likes of Permatex and Rain-X available...

Recently got a large double chip/crack on my windshield out of nowhere. Was driving home late at night one day and there were no cars anywhere near in front of me and BANG! I hear something hit my windshield hard and pretty quickly realise I have a fairly large double-spider-crack on my lower left side of my windshield :( I suspect someone had to have thrown a rock from an overpass/bridge because I heard it but again there were no cars anywhere in sight to have thrown it back at me.

So, can a kit like one of these do the trick?
https://www.amazon.ca/Mookis-Windshield ... 078HV82DR/
https://www.amazon.ca/EASTUP-Windshield ... 07PY26LMD/
https://www.amazon.ca/Permatex-09103-Wi ... 000ALJ4MY/

Or am I better off just taking it somewhere and paying them $40-50 (or whatever it costs these days) to have it done "professionally"? I have the mind to "just leave it" as I've had chips before on other windshields that never got any worse but this particular one looks pretty bad and looks like it could spread so I think I better have it filled.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18641 posts
6699 upvotes
Toronto
Get it repaired professionally. The results will be better.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9810 posts
4744 upvotes
Your insurance might cover it for free.
Telus $45 25GB
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4015 posts
4143 upvotes
GTA
I'd take it to the pros.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18641 posts
6699 upvotes
Toronto
For $50-$60 I wouldn't bother with insurance
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5253 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
let me know who you decide to go with, we have a slight crack we need to fix too
Jul 25, 2015
648 posts
320 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I paid $30 a few years ago for a chip to a guy from craigslist. He did a great job, didnt expand or crack more. Then I had a second crack, I tried to fix it myself but not even close. The glue fell and the crack is visible again. It needs a touch up after 1 year. Just find a pro to fo it for you. Not worth the hassle.
Jun 24, 2005
627 posts
92 upvotes
Richmond Hill
McLaren__F1 wrote: Your insurance might cover it for free.
+1

The insurance companies normally cover this for free and it won't ding your deductible or affect your premium. Just call them and ask.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11439 posts
3699 upvotes
Toronto
rngun wrote: +1

The insurance companies normally cover this for free and it won't ding your deductible or affect your premium. Just call them and ask.
+1

I ve done it, bills goes to the insurance company directly. Insurance compmay rather fix a small chip for you and cost them $100 at the certified shop, than later paying you a whole new windshield for $1000+ (minus your deductible).

People are scared to call insurance companies when they complained they are paying way too much.
Windshield claim will not impact your renewal premium (unless you claim it 10 times within the last 2 years....)

Also, your insurance will probably increase next year regardless anyway, may as well get some of your money back.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6078 posts
4691 upvotes
Pros will do it for $30.

Unless you are driving in country dirt road and get chips every week, no point investing in a kit.

Here's quick and cheap way without kits in an emergency to keep it from spreading.
You can also fix it with a super glue and isopropyl alcohol. You will need a hair dryer for this job. Let’s go over how to fix a chip, then a crack.

Fixing a chip

What you will need

Super glue
Isopropyl alcohol
A hair dryer
Scraper or razor blade
You might also want to stick a piece of paper on the inside of the window so you can see the crack better.

1. Make sure the windshield is dry

Start with a dry windshield that is about room temperature. On a rainy or snowy day, keep your car inside until the windshield dries and warms up. You can further dry it with a hair dryer. You can clean the crack or chip first, but make sure not to use window cleaner or detergents of any kind. Acetone (nail polish remover) or lighter fluid will work, the main benefit being that it evaporates quickly. But don’t use too much so that it will run down the glass as this can damage the paint on your car.

2. Put a bit of alcohol in the chip

Spread the alcohol into the chip, then dry it out with a hair dryer. Put the hair dryer right in the crack for about 30 seconds to a minute.

3. Put a little bit of glue in the crack

Now, squeeze glue into the chip. Let it dry by waiting a few seconds. We suggest you also use a scraper to scrape some of the excess glue from the area when dry.

Of course, this method isn’t perfect and you may be able to still see it, however, it’s cheap and fast, and should keep the crack from spreading.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28237 posts
8690 upvotes
rngun wrote: +1

I've heard so many people say this, and all the companies advertise it, but TBH I've tried doing this with more than one insurance company and they always just tell me I'm subject to my $500-1000 deductible (whatever it happened to be at these times) and that was it. Honestly don't know how you guys are getting these things paid for magically by insurance and not doing anything to your rates or anything but yeah...

But I appreciate the responses, I guess I will just have it done and pay the $40-60 (hopefully no more than that) to have the chips filled, instead of fiddling with the DIY kits.
Dec 7, 2011
772 posts
556 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: I've heard so many people say this, and all the companies advertise it, but TBH I've tried doing this with more than one insurance company and they always just tell me I'm subject to my $500-1000 deductible (whatever it happened to be at these times) and that was it. Honestly don't know how you guys are getting these things paid for magically by insurance and not doing anything to your rates or anything but yeah...

But I appreciate the responses, I guess I will just have it done and pay the $40-60 (hopefully no more than that) to have the chips filled, instead of fiddling with the DIY kits.
There shouldn't be a deductible associated with a chip repair. All insurance companies that I've dealt with in Ontario cover chip repair with no deductible.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13342 posts
3737 upvotes
RFD
My brother had a pea sized ding and used the Permatex one you posted on it. It worked and never got larger. Permatex is a good brand.

Anything larger you should go through your insurance. My fathers vehicle got a large one covered by insurance no charge to him, went to Speedy and they submitted to insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8674 posts
1618 upvotes
Should report this to the police as well, only a matter of time before someone gets killed by these jackoffs. Hopefully they can keep an eye out on that overpass. Can't believe people are still doing things like this in this day and age.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Oct 24, 2018
384 posts
359 upvotes
I used the Permatex kit recently and was very happy withe the results.

Only advice I can give using the kit is to read the instruction carefully, watch the online video posted by Permatex, and add 50% to the times in the instructions.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4573 upvotes
Alberta
I've fixed 4 chips with the Permatex kits from CT. As long as you follow the instructions exactly, it works great. All you can see is a tiny little pit here the rock hit.