• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2021 11:11 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2008
217 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto

Windshield replacement

I need to replace my windshield on my Honda - should I do that at the dealer, or should I use places like Speed, etc?

I'll be going through insurance, and will pay the deductible, so thinking might as well get it done at the dealer?
27 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
The dealer might outsource. A lot of dealer doesn't deal with body, engine overhaul, upholstery, etc.
Cut the middle man and pay cash....you will save yourself some money.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
Zebraman wrote: I need to replace my windshield on my Honda - should I do that at the dealer, or should I use places like Speed, etc?

I'll be going through insurance, and will pay the deductible, so thinking might as well get it done at the dealer?
Dealers do glass now? I haven't heard of a dealer doing their own glass in a LONG time, its just not economical for them. They almost always farm it out.

PS - if you have lane keep assist or other driver assist technology make sure that where ever does your windshield calibrates the sensors properly! Read a news story of a guy that got his Acura's windshield done and the lane keep assist was not reset properly and kept trying to pull him into oncoming traffic!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
I would strongly suggest at least getting @mer1ion (Auto Glass Worx in Mississauga) to give you a quote. Top, top guys and it may be less expensive than you think. You may not even want to go through insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
Manatus wrote: I would strongly suggest at least getting @mer1ion (Auto Glass Worx in Mississauga) to give you a quote. Top, top guys and it may be less expensive than you think. You may not even want to go through insurance.
If your deductible is less then the cost of the glass+labour why would you NOT go thru insurance?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
kr0zet wrote: If your deductible is less then the cost of the glass+labour why would you NOT go thru insurance?
Insurance is not your friend.
Every time you make a claim, you risk increasing your premium. Nothing is free.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
kr0zet wrote: If your deductible is less then the cost of the glass+labour why would you NOT go thru insurance?
If you compare based on dealer prices, you'll think this has to be an insurance job. If you go to a good place that does it, maybe it's less than your deductible. Not saying don't go through insurance, but if you're only looking at what the dealer and Speedy charge, you might just be assuming those are fair market rates and therefore expect to have to go through insurance and therefore have no interest in shopping around.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
BDSL wrote: Insurance is not your friend.
Every time you make a claim, you risk increasing your premium. Nothing is free.
This is incorrect. Will a new windshield cause my insurance to go up?
If you need a new windshield and want your insurance to help ease your pane, your rates shouldn’t take a hit – if you have coverage.

“That’s a comprehensive claim and it won’t cause your rates to increase,” says Anne Marie Thomas, senior manager of partner relationships for rate-comparison site Insurance Hotline.

But, even though your rates won’t go up, there might be limits on how many windshield claims you can make. If you have too many – say, one every six months – your insurance company could raise your deductible. Or, they could refuse to pay for any more windshield claims, Thomas says.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2008
217 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you! I had no idea, so I called a dealer close by: the parts guy said it takes a day to get in stock, and labor is $250 and takes a day and I can book an appointment online on their website - I assumed then that they do the work, but now I am not sure, so will call them back.

Would most dealers tell the truth and say they outsource I wonder...

I don't have lane assist no.
kr0zet wrote: Dealers do glass now? I haven't heard of a dealer doing their own glass in a LONG time, its just not economical for them. They almost always farm it out.

PS - if you have lane keep assist or other driver assist technology make sure that where ever does your windshield calibrates the sensors properly! Read a news story of a guy that got his Acura's windshield done and the lane keep assist was not reset properly and kept trying to pull him into oncoming traffic!
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4682 posts
2094 upvotes
Durham Region
Definitely reach out to @mer1ion before you go ahead with any other option. You will likely be pleasantly surprised.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
https://www.ahainsurance.ca/safety-and- ... nce-claim/
Good news: generally, your policy will cover chips and cracks in your windshield. If your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage, your coverage should be air-tight. Comprehensive insurance covers damage to your vehicle that isn’t caused by a collision, and includes coverage for falling or flying objects—especially stones.
If your vehicle’s insurance policy does not include comprehensive coverage, then windshield damage may be your insurer’s prerogative. Our experience has been that most insurers in Canada will honour this kind of claim on good faith, as long as it doesn’t happen often.

https://www.ratehub.ca/blog/broken-car- ... insurance/
Yes, a full windshield replacement will cause your insurance to go up by a few dollars a month. So, weigh your options.
You can buy an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) part, repair it at the dealership for about $1,000, and know it’s back to its original glory. Whether you claim it under collision or comprehensive, you’ll pay the deductible, which could be as much as the replacement windshield itself. You’ll lose money in the deal with the increase to your premiums and your future car insurance quotes.
Don’t rule out windshield replacement with no insurance. I made use of an aftermarket part, that was less expensive, with no difference in quality, from a local mechanic for $250. My insurance rates don’t go up and, you know what, some insurers even recommend it to keep costs low for everyone.

Therefore, YMMV. When in doubt, just pay cash (not deal with insurance) especially your deductible is probably $300-500.....
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
Zebraman wrote: I thought premium would go up, thanks for this! I as well will call my Insurance company just in case.
Why let them know you have a damage? Everything you tell them is recorded. It can work against you in future.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
If your car is new and have the latest tech on it, like rain sensor, lane departure alert, etc, get an OEM glass, not aftermarket.

Call your insurance company, they will send you to their preferred shop near your area, go to the shop, drop the keys and pay deductible. Your insurance comapny will pay the rest to the shop directly.
It DOES NOT affect your insurance for 1 windshield claim, it is also a comprehensive claim, not collision. So see how much is your deductible on comprehensive coverage.

I replaced mine few years ago, it was near $1500 as OEM Lexus glass, all inclu. and paid $300 deductible.

I called dealer as well and they said they will outsource it anyway, just call insurance and use their recommended shops and they will be using a well known shop like speedy glass, not those working in CT's parking lot.

They can even come to your house or work place, it was an hassle free experience and don't go to gas station car wash for at least 2 days after that.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
When you deal with insurance, the shop will charge $$$$. Everything is inflated when dealing with insurance.
When you are not dealing with insurance, the shop will charge $$.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
BDSL wrote: When you deal with insurance, the shop will charge $$$$. Everything is inflated when dealing with insurance.
Aslong as your are paying $300 or whatever amount as your deductible? Why do we care?

I made 2 windshield claims in the same year and no increase on my insurance premium.

1 Claim is just fixing a small dent,. Shop charged the insurance company $120. No deductible paid.
1 Claim has to replace the windshield (a rock flew over to my car from an overpass), replaced a new OEM windshield, paid $300 deductible.

Your insurance is affected only if you made TONS of the same windshield claim. They can exclude your windshield coverage.

Comprehensive is different than collision, it has nothing to do with your driving, If you look at your policy, comprehensive is not expensive in your auto policy, the collision coverage encounter way more for your total insurance premium.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7177 posts
9151 upvotes
The NORTH
BDSL wrote: When you deal with insurance, the shop will charge $$$$. Everything is inflated when dealing with insurance.
I agree that shops usually up the price for insurance claims (part of the problem with insurance premiums...) but again, if you have proper coverage glass is a comprehensive claim and doesn't effect your insurance. If your insurance company is raising your rates because of a comprehensive claim they are shitty company and you should change.
Nov 13, 2010
33 posts
9 upvotes
Anyone know where to order windshields and urethane?

I have to transfer ownership of the car and get a safety inspection. A large crack made the windshield needing replacement

Using a box cutter and a shifter cable, I was able to remove the sealant and freed the glass from my Hyundai Elantra, but I can't find a glass seller. IGD is only B2B.

Ideas?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2570 posts
1287 upvotes
Hometown
talgutrie wrote: Anyone know where to order windshields and urethane?

I have to transfer ownership of the car and get a safety inspection. A large crack made the windshield needing replacement

Using a box cutter and a shifter cable, I was able to remove the sealant and freed the glass from my Hyundai Elantra, but I can't find a glass seller. IGD is only B2B.

Ideas?
While anybody with a steady hand can remove a windshield. INSTALLING one properly so the structural integrity is as good as OEM is another story these days.

That being said the dealership might be able to sell you a windshield I know at one time you could buy glass from domestic dealerships and have it installed elsewhere. If that is too expensive try your local wrecking yards since you are already cutting corners why not go all the way. LOL

Or contact a road sider installer and tell them since you already removed the glass you are knocking 50 bucks off their quote and have it installed correctly.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
2108 posts
3866 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
OEM glass at dealership, pay whatever is lower of deductible or cash.

Aftermarket glass is often distorted, lets in more noise, and in modern cars with cameras and sensors, will probably not function properly.