Food & Drink

Wine at Grocery Stores - Beware

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2019 6:40 pm
[OP]
May 21, 2019
1 posts

Wine at Grocery Stores - Beware

All alcohol products sold through grocery stores are required to be priced identically to the same prices at the LCBO retail outlets. However, a recent trip to a Loblaws to check on wines on sale at the LCBO we were reviewing showed that five of the thirteen were not posted at the lower LCBO sale price, a difference of between $1.00 and $3.00 per bottle. Has anyone else experienced this issue recently?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5774 posts
1091 upvotes
Toronto
I couldn't find in the liquor control act what you've stated, that if the government ran stores have a limited time sale on a product that grocery stores need to "price match". This is the closest I could find:

Liquor Control Act

ONTARIO REGULATION 232/16

13. (1) The operator of a grocery store that is authorized to sell beer or wine in the store must ensure that it is offered for sale, and sold, at the price stipulated by the Board.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6070 posts
3145 upvotes
Mississauga
Nothing stopping Loblaw’s from charging more for a bottle of wine is there?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
its called a convenience fee, yes until someone can find the piece of legislation where the loblaws is required to sell at the SAME price as the lcbo, im okay with this.
Hi
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4006 posts
1609 upvotes
Just wait until you see what convenience stores will charge for beer
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11633 posts
2140 upvotes
Toronto
BigJonsson wrote: Just wait until you see what convenience stores will charge for beer
Wow. So it's going to cost alot more for beer at the corner store AND beer store workers are going to lose their jobs?

What to do? Should I buy the same beer store priced beer at Walmart or Nofrills (that doesn't have a convenience fee)? Help me out here!!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4006 posts
1609 upvotes
at1212b wrote: Wow. So it's going to cost alot more for beer at the corner store AND beer store workers are going to lose their jobs?

What to do? Should I buy the same beer store priced beer at Walmart or Nofrills (that doesn't have a convenience fee)? Help me out here!!
Do what you want?