Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Winners

YMMV Icebreaker Merino Wool socks $12.99-$18.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2021 10:01 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
2114 posts
1262 upvotes
well, I can use it online but they didnt give enough to cover a new pair at full retail price + shipping. I was waiting for a sale or have to go to store. I just always forget about it.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1274 posts
1454 upvotes
Surrey
Warranty is definitely better than smartwool. I believe smartwool is 2 years? Correct me if I am wrong.

I prefer the smartwool fit over the ice breakers. I find the smartwool stays put while the ice breakers tend to shift around. Different fit for people. I still have a few pairs not opened yet. Over the years I have worn through two pairs of smartwool socks. None for the ice breakers yet as I started wearing them a few years after the smart wool. Both have been pretty durable.

I have a browse at my local stores. The sportchek and atmosphere stores near me rarely have any mediums in stock.
Feb 25, 2006
352 posts
484 upvotes
Calgary
I've bought a few pairs of ice breaker socks from winners but they didn't last. Smartwool seems to be better for socks at least.
Dec 20, 2015
169 posts
74 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Icebreaker socks are fantastic. They're non-itch and antimicrobial. This may sound a bit gross, but when I was backpacking around Europe and South America, I would wear my Icebreaker socks for 2-3 days in a row before washing them in the hostel sinks. Now that I'm back at home, I still use them on a regular basis and they've held up remarkably well.

If you live near a physical store, you can bring in your (cleaned) socks to exchange for new ones if there are any issues, and no receipt is required. This lifetime warranty includes holes (wear and tear) too, as confirmed by the Icebreaker store staff. Personally, I use the multisport socks for regular casual wear/walking and the hike+ light ankle socks for hiking. Both types provide excellent support and I use them all year round!
Dec 11, 2018
82 posts
45 upvotes
I'm a big fan of icebreaker and don't mind paying higher cost for their shirts for the winter.
I tried the socks a couple of years ago and was disappointed. One they were super hot which lead to sweaty and uncomfortable feet fast. Second, after 1 or 2 washes they shrunk and the material frayed. Using their very liberal return policy I sent the socks back for a refund. I wouldn't try them again after this experience.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
1045 posts
4135 upvotes
Toronto
Great deal.

Did anyone buy the SKI socks? I think they gave me two left socks, and it happened twice. I'm so confused, I thought they were L and R socks.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
1755 posts
1353 upvotes
Montreal
Coolcicada wrote: Great deal.

Did anyone buy the SKI socks? I think they gave me two left socks, and it happened twice. I'm so confused, I thought they were L and R socks.
I bought them yesterday and thanks to the comments on here, verified that they were L / R first.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
1045 posts
4135 upvotes
Toronto
molybdenum wrote: I bought them yesterday and thanks to the comments on here, verified that they were L / R first.
Oh, I see them now. I guess I'll have to find two RR ones. Haha.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2004
1234 posts
1240 upvotes
Found some at the markville location. Mostly ski in various sizes. The hike ones were only available in large and few packs left. Women's only had skis.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
wfejk3 wrote: I'm a big fan of icebreaker and don't mind paying higher cost for their shirts for the winter.
I tried the socks a couple of years ago and was disappointed. One they were super hot which lead to sweaty and uncomfortable feet fast. Second, after 1 or 2 washes they shrunk and the material frayed. Using their very liberal return policy I sent the socks back for a refund. I wouldn't try them again after this experience.
Ive never worn out socks this much that I needed warranty. I guess more common in the hiking community?
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1298 posts
1417 upvotes
Abbotsford
Coolcicada wrote: Great deal.

Yes I did. 6 pairs. Fantastic.
One pair was 2 left and one pair was two rights, so I was wearing 1 red and 1 blue sock today. No one sees them and great around the house
Aug 31, 2010
747 posts
959 upvotes
ON
kingpin748 wrote: I've bought a few pairs of ice breaker socks from winners but they didn't last. Smartwool seems to be better for socks at least.
Most Smartwool socks don't last. Had 3 pairs of different PhD socks developing holes after probably 20 to 30 wears.

You can see similar horror stories on reddit here https://www.reddit.com/r/BuyItForLife/c ... here_as_a/

For any brand, the specific model of the socks matters a lot. You want to buy relatively thick socks with denser weaving. Thinner merino socks of any brand would wear out much faster. Smartwool is the exception - the socks I had that developed holes were very thick...

On another note, Smartwool used to make really good socks. Then the founders sold the company to Timberland in 2005, which got acquired by VF Corp in 2011, and the quality has gone downhill since. The founders of Smartwool (Peter and Patty Duke) then founded Point6 but you can't buy their socks in Canada easily.

Personally I recommend Icebreaker due to the ease of warranty claim. Darn Tough is a good alternative (higher quality as well) but you have to ship socks to the US to get them replaced.
Mar 25, 2013
24 posts
12 upvotes
Greater Sudbury
Try the Costco merino long sleeve shirts for less than $30. We have both but for the price and colour selection I prefer Costco.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
1045 posts
895 upvotes
Kanata
river97 wrote: Try the Costco merino long sleeve shirts for less than $30. We have both but for the price and colour selection I prefer Costco.
Have they ever sold men's? I'm always jealous of my wife having access to affordable merino tops at Costco. Maybe I've missed it.
Sep 7, 2020
166 posts
127 upvotes
Empyrium wrote: Most Smartwool socks don't last. Had 3 pairs of different PhD socks developing holes after probably 20 to 30 wears.

You can see similar horror stories on reddit here https://www.reddit.com/r/BuyItForLife/c ... here_as_a/

For any brand, the specific model of the socks matters a lot. You want to buy relatively thick socks with denser weaving. Thinner merino socks of any brand would wear out much faster. Smartwool is the exception - the socks I had that developed holes were very thick...

On another note, Smartwool used to make really good socks. Then the founders sold the company to Timberland in 2005, which got acquired by VF Corp in 2011, and the quality has gone downhill since. The founders of Smartwool (Peter and Patty Duke) then founded Point6 but you can't buy their socks in Canada easily.

Personally I recommend Icebreaker due to the ease of warranty claim. Darn Tough is a good alternative (higher quality as well) but you have to ship socks to the US to get them replaced.
I totally agree with you, i started off wearing phd smartwools and they were great but noticed that they dont last that long. Switched over to Darn Toughs and never looked back. Even though the DTs are thicker but if anything they are more cushioning because of it.

How are icebreakers like in comparison to smartwool and darn tough? looking at getting some for my daughter. also anyone seen any of these in Vancouver yet? TIA
Mar 25, 2013
24 posts
12 upvotes
Greater Sudbury
DH has long arms and they fit fine - his usual size is a M or 15-151/2 shirt. He wears them under a flannel shirt and if you plan to do that even if it is an inch or two short no one would see it. Actually better as it won't be peeking out from the cuff of the shirt.
Feb 20, 2004
946 posts
325 upvotes
Markham winners at woodbine and hwy 7 have lots of men's socks and a bunch of women's socks although the women's are all ski socks.
May 8, 2021
58 posts
82 upvotes
gumby_ng wrote: Thanks. Never saw it before. How do these size? I'm usually a medium but have long arms so that's sometimes a problem for me.
I normally wear medium or large if I want some slack. With the last year model that was 100%merino wool I went with S as M was a bit loose.

This year it's 85% merino wool, but S seems to still fit well. Just wear a T-shirt when you go to Costco and try it over it.