Parenting & Family

Winter clothes for family

[OP]
May 10, 2021
4 posts

Winter clothes for family

Hello Experts, I am new to Canada/Ontario and the winter. I have two kids with age 11 and 3 and I hear from my neighbors to get the winter clothes at the earliest for all of us. What clothes should be in my list and where to buy which is not expensive?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2551 posts
2332 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Slickdealing wrote: Hello Experts, I am new to Canada/Ontario and the winter. I have two kids with age 11 and 3 and I hear from my neighbors to get the winter clothes at the earliest for all of us. What clothes should be in my list and where to buy which is not expensive?
Welcome to Canada. The winter season starts very early in Canada depending on your city. I can only speak to mine which is less humid and has dryer winters. I think the general list:
- Good winter boot especially for the 11 year old. They will be outside walking to school/bus, playing at lunch and recess.
- Winter jacket and snow pants
- Mittens - water proof, I always get 2 (sometimes) more of the same glove because my kids lose them so much, and occasionally they lose opposite sets, so I may save a set. Though a few years I have someone had 3 of one hand, and none of the others
- Lighter gloves (cheap mini gloves that can be worn underneath the mitten for extra layers, but more for the car or short trips
- Warm hat/toque
- One piece neck gator that also go up, I prefer these over scarfs as they are less likely to get caught and strangle the kid, and can be doubled up
- Base layer/long underwear top and bottom, at least for the 11 year old, I never bothered for them until they were out for longer times without me
- Good wool socks that are a little longer

For almost everything, I used to always buy the sets at Costco what I could first, then Winners. Then if couldn't find them at those two places, I when to either Children's place or a shoe store. Though the base layers, I usually had to get at the Children's Place for the smaller sizes.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
May 10, 2021
4 posts
Wow. That was the detailed inputs. I really appreciate your response. Thank you. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2760 posts
1313 upvotes
Toronto
Slickdealing wrote: Hello Experts, I am new to Canada/Ontario and the winter. I have two kids with age 11 and 3 and I hear from my neighbors to get the winter clothes at the earliest for all of us. What clothes should be in my list and where to buy which is not expensive?
I have found that buying warm clothes and "not expensive" cannot be used in the same sentence. If you want warmth, then you're going to have to spend more. Also, keep in mind that one person's idea of warm is not the same as the next person.

For adults, I find that $300 jackets (you might be able to find some closer to $200 when on sale) are pretty warm. If you don't spend much time standing outside (waiting for the bus or walking somewhere) then you could get away with a cheaper jacket.

My son seems to be OK with this jacket from the Gap. It's called something like "the warmest jacket". The regular price is $140 but I usually buy it when it's on sale for like $90 (if I'm remembering correctly). I don't remember when they're usually on sale but I tend to look at the end of winter or in September and just keep an eye on the price.

I bought a Canada Goose jacket for like $600 like 10 years ago. I walked for like 20 mins from work to the library in -45 weather where the wind was blowing snow around. I felt nothing (I was wearing gloves and a touque too; the jacket covered my mouth but I might have had a baclaclava for my face too). Does everybody need a jacket this expensive? Not at all. I only bought this because I was tired of standing and waiting for the bus for 10 mins and freezing my a$$ off. I rarely take the TTC these days so I don't need a jacket like that anymore. The jacket is not as warm today vs when I first bought it but since I don't take the TTC these days I don't see the need to replace it.

If you are going to just buy thinner clothes and wear multiple layers then keep in mind the jacket might need to be bigger because you might be putting your jacket on over top a thick sweatshirt with a hood and not a t-shirt.

Good luck. It's not cheap to buy a whole winter wardrobe for a family of 4 if you have nothing at all.

[EDIT]
Buy whatever you want or whatever you can this year. Wear it and see how each piece of clothing works. Every person might find that some items are fine and some are too thin. Then figure out what you need for next year or try and buy something to replace it this year. A good time to do this is at Black Friday and Boxing Week.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Dec 12, 2005
879 posts
308 upvotes
Richmond
Try to keep an eye on clothing and sport stores, they usually put out last year's stocks on sale/clearance.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6574 posts
6048 upvotes
Winter clothing is unnecessarily expensive mostly due to branding. I would recommend checking out Value Village or consignment shops - I often find perfection condition items for a fraction of the price. I got a North Face bomber jacket for $30. Some people may balk at that but you will save a lot of money especially with growing kids and also help the environment.
Aug 15, 2018
723 posts
584 upvotes
Hi there,

I found that the most important is the winter jacket, snow boots, touque/gloves.

For the jacket, I recommend you to check Eddie Bauer, they have frequent sales. Their warmest jackets are really really warm and often go for -50%. For the boots I usually go to Marks, no problem so far. For the rest, I usually go to Winners/Marshall.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
Giant Tiger and Walmart may be your cheapest options for brand new clothing.
As already stated above, Winners/Marshalls for brand names.
A good more expensive jacket may last you longer than generic ones, but may not be the current style if that matters.
Kids tend to outgrow stuff by the next season so hardly likely they'll use last years' stuff, unless you have several close in age.
Jun 12, 2019
161 posts
189 upvotes
I don't know about the 11yo, but don't buy expensive stuff for the 3yo because they'll outgrow them in one season. Actually my toddler outgrew a jacket I bought him in September by December. They also don't stay that long outside. I don't know where you live, but I find Once Upon a Child to have a good collection of nice, affordable stuff for the younger ones (used).
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13030 posts
8271 upvotes
Markham
Not clothes, but don't forget snow sled :)
Jun 3, 2017
210 posts
175 upvotes
I really like wool for winter. It wicks moisture and keeps you very warm, even when it's damp.

My partner and I tend to get really cold so this is what we do:

-merino wool base layers - costco has 100% merino shirts that are affordable, and merino blend long underwear
-thick 100% wool sweaters - ours are from www.woolovers.com
-pants we usually just wear jeans ontop the long underwear
-kirkland wool trail socks - costco
-down jacket - The North Face
-fleece lined bean boots

Everything goes on sale regularly so it's good to keep an eye out. You do not necessarily have to get brand name but keep an eye out for materials and weights. Ah, don't forget scarves, mittens, and hats - as you expect I prefer wool haha.